kings dominion new coaster in development

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope these guys know what they're doing. If not, the next owners could have a nice coaster lineup already in place.

And yes, I'm sure they know what they're doing...hopefully...

The reality is that the do know what they are doing. They are following a strategy that is carefully thought out and that they believe will result in improved results for themselves and the CF unit holders. It has worked for them in the past and they believe it will continue to work.

I would agree with that sentiment except that the old way it worked in the past seems to work no longer. "If you build it, they will come" just isn't working any more.

Which is exactly why the final paragraph I wrote - that you erased from the quote - was written. Repeated below:

"The problem is that so many things have changed - the economic situation and its impact on customers, the availability/ability to refinance debt, the overall size of CF, and much more. Whether the strategy is going to work out long term is undefined."

I hope these guys know what they're doing. If not, the next owners could have a nice coaster lineup already in place.

And yes, I'm sure they know what they're doing...hopefully...

The reality is that the do know what they are doing. They are following a strategy that is carefully thought out and that they believe will result in improved results for themselves and the CF unit holders. It has worked for them in the past and they believe it will continue to work.

I would agree with that sentiment except that the old way it worked in the past seems to work no longer. "If you build it, they will come" just isn't working any more.

Which is exactly why the final paragraph I wrote - that you erased from the quote - was written. Repeated below:

"The problem is that so many things have changed - the economic situation and its impact on customers, the availability/ability to refinance debt, the overall size of CF, and much more. Whether the strategy is going to work out long term is undefined."

I just don't see that strategy ever working again is what I'm getting at. So, their long term strategy is pretty much defined by if you build it they will come and it's not working now, nor is it going to work any time soon. Time for a new strategy.

I'd more say it works for a little while...but does it last long enough to make it pay? There's the rub. There is no question that Diamondback has brought business to Kings Island. But how long does that effect last? And will it be long enough to pay for itself? In a pay one price (largely) park, how does a $22 million ride justify itself? The calculations are much harder than they would be in a pay per ride venue.

http://www.hanovercountyvirginia.org/Click...atusOptions.jsp

Parcel ID: 7893-02-7643

Address: 16000 THEME PARK WAY

Application Date: 06/11/09

Owner: PARAMOUNT PARKS, INC

Application #: 09 - 938

Application Type: COMMERCIAL NEW

Valuation: $3,000,000

Square Footage: 0

Tenant Name:

Application Status:

PERMIT ISSUED Tenant Unit Number:

General Contractor: WHITING-TURNER CONTRACTING

Zoning Description: COMMERCIAL

Paramount Parks?

http://www.hanovercountyvirginia.org/Click...icationFees.jsp

Over $15,000 for permit fees!

http://www.hanovercountyvirginia.org/Click...atusOptions.jsp

Parcel ID: 7893-02-7643

Address: 16000 THEME PARK WAY

Application Date: 06/11/09

Owner: PARAMOUNT PARKS, INC

Application #: 09 - 938

Application Type: COMMERCIAL NEW

Valuation: $3,000,000

Square Footage: 0

Tenant Name:

Application Status:

PERMIT ISSUED Tenant Unit Number:

General Contractor: WHITING-TURNER CONTRACTING

Zoning Description: COMMERCIAL

Paramount Parks?

http://www.hanovercountyvirginia.org/Click...icationFees.jsp

Over $15,000 for permit fees!

Hmmmm....... Nice find, very peculiar.

Here they are. I took all of these pictures last Friday, August 7th.

100_5555.jpg

The Construction Site behind Anaconda from the Eiffel Tower.

100_5562.jpg

The track/ supports from the Eiffel Tower.

100_5570.jpg

That looks EXTREMELY strong.

100_5571.jpg

Stairs for the lift hill I'm guessing. Adena is apparently the company which will be constructing the coaster. The stairs are in the way, but the truck says they are from Mansfield, Ohio.

100_5572.jpg

More track.

100_5573.jpg

And some more.

100_5574.jpg

Those are some weird looking supports.

100_5575.jpg

More supports. What could that track in the background be? It is curved, so it could be transfer track like the ones on Millie, or even the cable lift.

100_5578.jpg

That's a lot of the same looking track.

100_5579.jpg

I believe this was pointed out in one Clint's videos, but that track on the left seems to be the crown of the cable lift. You can see where the catch car would go underneath the track when it lets go of the train.

100_5580.jpg

More of the station/ lift/ transfer/ storage track.

100_5582-1.jpg

Looks very similar to the Premier track on Backlot Stunt Coaster. I have no clue what this double railed track is for.

100_5583.jpg

Brakes I guess?

100_5584.jpg

Supports, with what looks like lift track in the background.

Well that's all I've got. Enjoy.

PS I really hope i didn't just break a rule or law there :P .

100_5574.jpg

That is like some of the supports being used on iSpeed, but larger and beefier.

100_5575.jpg

More supports. What could that track in the background be? It is curved, so it could be transfer track like the ones on Millie, or even the cable lift.

That is for part of the crown, before the cable starts pulling away.

100_5578.jpg

That's a lot of the same looking track.

I noticed that too. There seems to only be straight track, and track that bends that way (concave?). There is very little twisted track, or track that curves the other direction (convex?).

100_5579.jpg

I believe this was pointed out in one Clint's videos, but that track on the left seems to be the crown of the cable lift. You can see where the catch car would go underneath the track when it lets go of the train.

100_5580.jpg

More of the station/ lift/ transfer/ storage track.

That is part of the lift hill track.

100_5582-1.jpg

Looks very similar to the Premier track on Backlot Stunt Coaster. I have no clue what this double railed track is for.

I agree. I think it looks like it is for the brake run, station, and/or storage track. What is the double railed track you're referring to?

100_5584.jpg

Supports, with what looks like lift track in the background.

That is where the 'reular track' starts to pull away from the lift hill support structure, because the right side has a larger gap.

Thanks for the pictures!!! :)

Edit: Thanks for granting my request. :)

"That's a lot of the same looking track."

Clint's latest video points out that the staging area has been almost doubled so there is a lot more track on the way.

As for the different types of track, we've never seen most of this style track before but we we can guess what purpose it will serve based on what Intamin has done in the past.

100_5580.jpg

Definitely lift hill because it has the trough for the cable lift and extremely strong structure which illudes to a minimal amount of supports even more so than MilF. Probably the most expensive piece of track but if that means less 300ft tall supports then its worth it.

100_5578.jpg

This will be used for the bulk of the ride from the bottom of the lift to near the break run. Again double spine is for extra strength, less supports, and more versatile than the boxy lift hill track above.

Less big suppors = less $$.

100_5582-1.jpg

This track will be at the end of the ride, transfer track, break run, station. These sections are low to the ground so a minimalist track structure combined with more tiny supports is the cheapest way to go.

Look at This. Scroll down to the Minimum Requirements.

Must have ability to climb to heights of 350'.

Does KD have anything that is 350' tall? Not yet, I don't believe.

If this was already pointed out, delete this. I didn't see anything though.

Well, the Eiffel Tower is about 332 feet tall, so it could be just a rounded up height, but it has been rumored this giga will be nearly 350 feet tall. I do think it will be the tallest lift hill coaster in the world.