kings dominion new coaster in development

After following the drama of Dale Jr. and Teresa Earnhardt, I wonder how tense the negotiations for the naming rights were.

The media makes her out to be a very shrewd business woman, and usually gets what she wants.

I'll bet KD paid through the nose to get that name!

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I must say, I am dissapointed with the height and speed. I know, it's a giga. That's awesome. But, I think it should've broken records or something. I guess I'm more dissapointed with the length though. Tha little bit of track will be over in such a short period of time at that speed."

Why break records? SOB broke them... did that make it better? As far as the short ride... count your blessings, it could be TTD.

"Anyone who is dissapointed with MF because of no airtime with be dissapointed with this. Also, a couple of the transitions look like Vortex's, I hope that's just because it's an animation. They are classifying the restraint system as over the shoulder lap bars, not over the shoulder restraints."

The best feature of this ride has little to do with the airtime hills. The fact that it will be so close to the ground is it's highlight. Flying past low lying objects will make the speed seem even more extreme.

The restraints look to be like Mavericks... which are tight at the waist and open around your neck/shoulders.

"Im just disappointed in color choice. Love the Red track, but Yellow supports? Why not Black or Silver Supports?"

It's Cedar Fair... they don't know how to not include yellow or red on a coaster.

"Don't get me wrong, the ride looks uber badass, no doubt, but it doesn't look anything at all like I thought a giga would. While Millennium Force is huge, with mammoth hills and drops, and a beautiful structure, this ride looks like a low to the ground, speed monster with a 305 foot hill to get things started instead of a launch (Which, being a NASCAR ride, I would have thought more appropriate). I also am not a fan of the minimalist support structure, maybe it's just me but I love the look of the intricate supports on MF, and this with only two support beams on the lift hill? That's why it's only 25M I guess. "

So how is a Giga supposed to look? I always thought a Giga looked 300' tall... if that's the case... then this looks like a Giga.

As far as a launch being more appropriate... Nacars don't race... they speed up and down.

"dude, i was all excited to wake up late today and have the announcement already have been made. I got up and saw Intimidator 305 and was like ALRIGHT!!!! But then i saw the layout and specs and was thinking "Are you serious??" I am really disappointed with the layout and how MF is still taller. I was really wanting this baby to beat out MF. And i think the biggest disappointment of all is the fact that it uses OSTRs, COME ON CF!!!! These are not necessary for a ride of this type!"

Did you honestly think Cedar Fair was going to out-do MForce? Not a chance. They are not about to compromise any coaster at their Flagship.

Oh, and the restraints are necessary due to the lateral direction changes. That's what dictated their use.

Shaggy

^ Someone with more industry experience than I don't have can correct me on this, but I'm not totally sure OTSRs are Cedar Fair's doing. Kingda Ka has OTSRs when it's only an iota taller and faster than TTD with its lapbars.

No it CF i think because if i remember correctly i read somewhere on Intamins website or somehwere that the park had the option of OSTR or lapbars.

I'm thinking that the park's insurer might have had a say there... even though Intamin redesigned the lapbar restraints after the S:ROS incident (which was after TTD was built, but before KK IIRC), I'm guessing that the insurer would prefer the OTSR. Would you be willing to pay more to get into the park, had they gone with the presumably more expensive to insure lapbars on the ride?

But if the lapbars are so "unsafe" then why are they still being installed on Mega-Lites?

How many MegaLites have been built in the United States, fall under the US's strict insurance guidelines, and have been insured by a US manufacturer?

^

More Mega-lite than Giga

There we go. That's what it is, a giant Mega-Lite. Best description I've heard of it yet.

Ive also heard no bad review of Intamin Mega-Lites, can you imagine a Giga Mega-Lite? Like Shaggy said this thing is going to hug the ground so closely it is going to seem like you are going even faster than 90+. I think this monster is going to shock some folks.

Also the first drop curve and second hill remind me very much of Piraten.

For all who have not yet seen it...here's the POV for Intimidator 305. Remember, POVs usually seem slower than the actual ride. At least, that's the way it was Beast & Diamondback when I rode them...oh! It must be asked...Intimidator 305 vs. Diamondback, anyone? BWA HA HA!!! :lol:

Do note. There are no airtime hills; only airtime humps :lol: . Anyone who is dissapointed with MF because of no airtime with be dissapointed with this.

Really? I see 4 airtime moments. That first camelback looks like it will provide some awesome floater air. It's a lot closer to the first drop than Millie's first camelback, which offers no airtime. Therefore, there will be more speed, offering more airtime. The last couple look like they will provide some air similar to the last little hill on Millie by the station.

I personally think this will deliver far more airtime than Millie and will be better.

not at all what i expected. no major elements or drops with the exception of the first hill. id does look like a speed machine though, and a lot of those turns could be pretty awesome.

i'm not unimpressed, but i'm not excited either. i'll take DB over it any day.... and i bet the carrowinds announcement will be just as, or more impressive.

BOOOOOO Cedar Fair!

I will laugh when they go Bankrupt because they don't want anything at the other parks to be better than what CP has. Great business decision Kinzel. LOL! :lol:

Absolutely laughable what you just posted... Seriously record breaking is not that big of an attraction to the general public, unlike exciting rides, which I305 will be, just like Diamondback has been for KI. Some of the best coasters around do not break records. Some that do are maientence nightmares, Kingda KA, SoB to name a few. CF is more likely to go bankrupt because of the downturn in the economy and the large capital expenditures they continue to make.

not at all what i expected. no major elements or drops with the exception of the first hill. id does look like a speed machine though, and a lot of those turns could be pretty awesome.

i'm not unimpressed, but i'm not excited either.

That pretty much sums up what I thought after seeing the animation for the first time. I was really impressed with the Maverick and DB promo videos, but I didn't get that same feeling after looking at this. I'm sure that speed will be awesome, though, which really is what this coaster is all about anyway.

I think it's going to be a cool ride. The right hander right at the bottom of the lift hill is gonna pin you so hard into your seat that your eyes will feel like they are popping out! Then as soon as you get over that, you go over the next hill and get thrown OUT of your seat!

Looks like lots of back and forth G's followed by -G's. That will make for a great ride, even if it does seem a bit short in duration.

BOOOOOO Cedar Fair!

I will laugh when they go Bankrupt because they don't want anything at the other parks to be better than what CP has. Great business decision Kinzel. LOL! :lol:

Absolutely laughable what you just posted... Seriously record breaking is not that big of an attraction to the general public, unlike exciting rides, which I305 will be, just like Diamondback has been for KI. Some of the best coasters around do not break records. Some that do are maientence nightmares, Kingda KA, SoB to name a few. CF is more likely to go bankrupt because of the downturn in the economy and the large capital expenditures they continue to make.

The tallest and fastest gravity driven roller coaster on the East Coast screams along 5,100 feet of steel track at 92 MPH! At a whopping 305 feet tall, Intimidator will be the BIGGEST and BADDEST steel roller coaster in the Mid-Atlantic and on the East Coast!

Featured in the Guinness World Records, the Giga-Coaster belongs to the family of ultra high coasters with a first drop of 300 feet or more resulting in a train speed in excess of 90 MPH.

^This is what's laughable. CF loves record breaking. I'm sorry to upset you fanboys but I'm only being reasonable. CF's top priority wasn't creating a great ride, their top priority was making sure the coaster goes 1mph less than the great MF!

Cedar Fair was already losing tons of money even before the economic downfall took effect. I'll still laugh when they file for chapter 11! :lol:

Cedar Fair was already losing tons of money even before the economic downfall took effect.

Because they payed through the nose for the Paramount Parks, parks which they are now pouring millions upon millions into.

^Fixed.

They bought PP for 1.24 billion when they were already half a billion in debt. CF has more than turned into the new SF. They keep making very poor business decisions, and there is no sign of it stopping anytime soon.

They bought PP for 1.24 billion when they were already have a billion in debt. CF has more than turned into the new SF. They keep making very poor business decisions, and there is no sign of it stopping anytime soon.

Are you a fan of KI?

So with KI being owned by CF, and you're being such a "heartfelt" fan of KI, why on earth would you find any humor in the mere thought of CF going bankrupt?

Shaggy

Maybe he doesn't like CF and wants them to sell it? Although I can't see why you would hate CF...

I will admit that I would like to ride, but not because it is named “The Intimidator”. I have never understood why they think attaching a “big name” to something like a ride would make it any more popular and I sure do not think it is something worth paying for. If anything they should be paying CF for naming rights for the publicity much like they do stadiums and such.

This is kind of disappointing but I'm still looking forward to how it is going to turn out. I am trying not to just judge the ride on the renderings but it is kinda hard. I'm not really a fan of the overhead lap bar. The quick turns can be a real pain in the neck.....omg I made a pun! :lol:

Also, two trains? With today's technology of the duel loading station the only have two trains? The capacity is 300 riders short of Diamondback's capacity so not too sure what the line will look like there.

Well I guess we will just have to wait and see how this goes. I wonder which giga will be on top Millie or Intimidator 305?

So with KI being owned by CF, and you're being such a "heartfelt" fan of KI, why on earth would you find any humor in the mere thought of CF going bankrupt?

Shaggy

I've been critical of Paramount, I've been critical of CBS, why can't I be critical of CF?

Do I wish CF would go bankrupt? No. I want the best for KI. When a company that owns the park goes bankrupt, it's hard to say that's a good thing for the park. The thought of CF going bankrupt was already there in my head when I worked at the park. Now I've come to accept that CF will eventually reach bankruptcy. The thought has turned from an "IF" to a "WHEN".

I'm a laid back kind of guy. Sometimes it's okay to kick back and laugh during serious times. B)

This is kind of disappointing but I'm still looking forward to how it is going to turn out. I am trying not to just judge the ride on the renderings but it is kinda hard. I'm not really a fan of the overhead lap bar. The quick turns can be a real pain in the neck.....omg I made a pun! :lol:

Also, two trains? With today's technology of the duel loading station the only have two trains? The capacity is 300 riders short of Diamondback's capacity so not too sure what the line will look like there.

Well I guess we will just have to wait and see how this goes. I wonder which giga will be on top Millie or Intimidator 305?

Neither. I think Steel Dragon would beat either one. Though I would take Intimidator 305 over Millie.

I will find it disappointing if Cedar Fair keeps all the best rides at Cedar Point and not put in any at the other parks just because that is the flagship. Why should any of the other parks not get some over the top ride? I expected more from this announcement just like I expected more from the Diamondback announcement. The future will tell, will just be a slow wait.