Is Holiday World worth visiting?

I have never been there, and I doubt I ever will. They just don't have that much for a 40 dollar price tag. But then again I don't give a rats behind about water parks, I like the amusement side, which means I am paying 40 dollars for 2 nice wooden coasters and a small collection of carnival rides basically. I don't need free soft drinks, please charge me for them and take that off the price of admission and let me decide whether I want to spend money on drinks or not. I usually just pack a cooler in the car and go out and drink one if I get thirsty, but they are not free you're paying for them in price of admission, and how about $140 for a season pass are you kidding me? It's what between $95 and $110 for a Cedar Point season pass depending on when you buy it. To me it looks like a park that would be about at $25 -$30 dollar admission, but they throw on a big waterpark which are relatively cheap compared to major rides and jump the price up $15, well I'm not paying for that water park. If you are a fan of water parks it might be a great place, but if you just like the amusement side I can't imagine it being worth the price or the drive. As far as Indiana goes I would recommend Indiana Beach. It is a fine old fashioned reasonable park with a terrific variety of rides.

This obviously shows that you have in fact, never been... <_<

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't debate they have 3 fine wooden coasters but after that here are the rides:

Pilgrim's Plunge - Another Water Ride

Carousel - well everyone has a carousel

Raging Rapids - Yet another water ride

Swings - They're always nice

Gobbler Getaway - not quite sure what this is

Frightful Falls - Another water ride, but I like flume's if they don't soak you

Tilt a whirl and A roundup and a scrambler - I get my fill at Stricker's Grove and Coney Island

Liberty Launch - I'm not crazy about these rides, but this is definately a nice attraction

Flying Scooters - OK I love these

Bumper Cars - Not crazy about them but lots of people like them

Train- Trains are always nice

Monster - Classic Ride

Antique Cars - Love these as well

When I add it up, I just don't see $40 worth of rides there, I don't like to get wet and I don't like water parks, so if you're like me it doesn't seem worth it, however fans of water parks might think it's a great park, if they could separate the water side from the amusement side and knock at least 10 bucks off and I'll buy my own drinks I'd be more likely to go, but I just don't see value for myself here.

If you think about it paying 39.95 that includes free parking, sunscreen, pop... If you buy a 32.99 at KI, you have to pay 10 bucks to park, already you are at 42.99, then you buy a pop at 3.75, and you know you will probably buy more throughout the day.

Not to mention you can discount on the HW admission.

I went to HW for the first time in August 2007, loved it so much went back again a week later. Lake Rudolph is one of the best campgrounds in the country. The state park thats down the road is nice too!

I have gone twice in the past two summers, once so far this summer, but may not get to go again cuz we are saving for our Disney trip!

I rarely drink pop at a park, I drink it before I arrive and after I leave. The price of pop is definatly reflected in the admission price. The free parking is nice and you can say that saves you 10 bucks but parking at KI is per car not per person, if you have a party of 4 that savings is not that much compared to the ticket price. Not trying to bash the place, but simply stating that if your not into water parks and water rides and getting soaked there is not a whole lot there for the price, lot's of people love the splash stuff though and I'm sure it's a great place for them. Actually I might just go there next year. I think there is a decent discount from NAPHA which I belong to, but I still don't think there is enough there to warrant the price.

But there is always two sides to this argument.

HW Pros:

• Voyage

• Legend

• Raven

• Some great flats for all ages

• Unlimited drinks

• Unlimited sunscreen

• Practically free parking

• Low food prices

• One of the best waterparks around

• Extremely friendly and clean atmosphere

HW Cons:

• Price may be gouged by about $8

• Might not have the greatest selection of flats for enthusiests.

All in all, stop complaining about the smallest little things!

10 dollars cheaper than Soak City I wouldn't know, don't go to water parks, but it's about the same price as Cedar Point with 17 coasters and how many flats?

Like I said probably a great place for people who love water parks, that just isn't me

I'm not really complaining, I hope they do well, but the op asked if it was worth it and my opinion to him was that he wasn't big on water parks probably not. Plus if you are from the Cincinnati area there is not much there that isn't here that you ride on a regular basis. Except of course for the 3 coasters.

But hey you've swayed me to trying, I'll go next year. My amusement park budget has been spent for the year with my PA trip.

I would love to ride those 3 coasters.

SAVE $7* off each General Admission ticket in May

SAVE $2* off each Guests-under-54-inches and Seniors (60+) ticket every day

SAVE $5* off each General Admission ticket in June

SAVE $4* off each General Admission ticket Sundays through Fridays in July and August

SAVE $2* off each General Admission ticket on Saturdays in July and August

SAVE $4* off each General Admission ticket in September and October

SAVE $11* off each General Admission ticket after 3:00 pm CDT every day*

SAVE $7* off each Guests-under-54-inches and Seniors (60+) ticket after 3:00 pm CDT every day*

Straight off the website.

Seriously all three wooden coasters beat out any wood at Ki and CP, I havent been to Indiana Beach so i don't know about theirs.

save 11 bucks after three is a really good deal, most of the time the lines for the coasters are pretty short so you can get multiple rides in a few hours.

10 dollars cheaper than Soak City I wouldn't know, don't go to water parks, but it's about the same price as Cedar Point with 17 coasters and how many flats?

Like I said probably a great place for people who love water parks, that just isn't me

I'm not really complaining, I hope they do well, but the op asked if it was worth it and my opinion to him was that he wasn't big on water parks probably not. Plus if you are from the Cincinnati area there is not much there that isn't here that you ride on a regular basis. Except of course for the 3 coasters.

But hey you've swayed me to trying, I'll go next year. My amusement park budget has been spent for the year with my PA trip.

I would love to ride those 3 coasters.

I don't love water parks, but I've still gone 4 times over the years (the first 2 times were before Voyage was there).

Reading through this whole topic has made me more informed as well. I am definitely going to have to check this place out. The free sot drinks are nice, not to mention free parking and Voyage, Raven, and The Legend. Plus it being in Indiana means it's not that far of a drive from here in Kentucky. Glad I read through this topic.

If you've never been (like me) and have thought about going, I'd actually recommend ignoring the arguments on these pages. Instead, go search the Trip Reports forum for HW TR's. From reading many of these it seems to be worth a trip - I've been trying to figure out when mine will be for a couple of weeks.

If you've never been (like me) and have thought about going, I'd actually recommend ignoring the arguments on these pages. Instead, go search the Trip Reports forum for HW TR's. From reading many of these it seems to be worth a trip - I've been trying to figure out when mine will be for a couple of weeks.

Oh, I totally agree. I went to Holiday World once, and had a great time... but it'll likely be the last time. The Voyage is am amazing coaster... very likely the best wood I'd ever ridden... but that's just not enough for me. I think that a lot of you, especially the younger ones, will see in time that the over all product that a park offers is a lot more than just a good ride or two. Kind of like how each individual aspect is much less than the sum of all its parts.

If any of you want to check out a park with similar pricing, size and charm check out Kennywood in West Miffin, PA. Now THAT is an amazing place.

That's a great idea.

You know, I find it hilarious that most arguments are coming from people who have never visited the park, or rarely visit because any park with less than 946 coasters is "not worth their time." But to each his or her own.

On a positive note, for those who do decide not to go, that just means less people in line for Voyage when I go again! ;)

Holiday World is a nice park, but for overall experience it is lacking. Dont get me wrong I have enjoyed my numerous visits, but the price is high, especially if your not a water park user. I dont care what anyone says, but the price of soda, sunscreen and parking is factored in to your admission cost. Typically at any park I visit I bring my own sunscreen, purchase one refilable mug and fill it with water the rest of the day(free) and pay for parking. So the cost to visit a park like HW is very high to me because I don't take advantage of their "benefits". Also I opt not to eat in the park, like many of the parks I visit, and I drive to Moonlight BBQ in Owensboro. Terpy I believe you are a fan? Also I find Raven to be the best coaster in the park.

We must be soul brothers. Moonlite is a favorite, and Raven is also my favorite coaster at Holiday World, by far. I also like Windell's Cafe in Dale. It is one of my special places I must get to every few years, even if I don't make Holiday World at the time...it's only about 10 minutes from the park, if you drive. Walking can take quite a bit longer, to put it mildly, and yes, I know this from personal experience! :)

If you are ever in the area and looking for a nice relaxing place to stay I recomend Colluci Log Cabins in Magnet. Right on the Ohio river, close to Owensboro and Holiday World and very secluded.

Also if you are ever in my neck of the woods I have a BBQ place that is on par with Moonlight.

Gobbler's Getaway is a Sally interactive dark ride (like Scooby Doo at KI.)

Also it needs to be said, HW has a fantastic water park, full of the newest Proslide slides, including the tallest, longest dark family raft ride. I went to HW once before Thanksgiving was added and I would agree with those who thought that HW was not a full day park then, but add in Thanksgiving and you have a full day park. Also, the Voyage is amazing, this cant be said enough. The first coaster Ive ever ridden that has lived up to the hype it has on the internet. Legend and Raven are also top ten wood coasters in my book. I was there this past week and for $20 I bought a funnel cake, caramel apple, ice cream cone, and a fried chicken/mac and cheese/mashed potatoes/fried apples dinner. Great park, really great park.

The one thing HW has over these big parks, is they still have tram service. The big parks are making millions every year, and they don't have tram service. While HW has them in the main parking lot, and two years ago they added second one to there Legend lot. So I say bigger doesn't always mean better.