SFoG Questions

My friend knows I'm a coaster nut, probably like many of your friends/family do. He's taking a road trip up to the Atlanta Georgia area and is going to SFoG. He asked me what the best day to go is, best rides, etc. Not knowing to much about SFoG, because only going there a few times, I decided to post the questions here and get some real insight about the park.

So my questions are the basic general questions like:

What are the must do rides?(I know Goliath/Mindbender/Batman)

What are good show's(if any)?

Where's the best place for a family of 5 to eat?(best value)

What is the best day to go out of August 7th, 8th, or 9th?

And any other thing you guys can tell me about SFoG would really help. Thanks in advance.

I really don't have any answers to your questions as I have not been there yet. One thing to look out for is to make sure they are open. When we were planning our trip, I was suprised that they go to weekends only starting on the 10th of August. If they are only going for 1 day and want to make the most of it, tell them to consider a flash pass or better yet a gold flash pass. We will be spending the $$$ for it when we go enless the park is empty.

I just checked their calendar and those dates are open but with early closing hours (8:00 PM).

^ I see in your signature that you're going to SFOG on a Sunday. If you have a FLIP camcorder (or know someone who has one), you may want to check this offer out: Flash Pass Offer. Regarding the flash pass, I would absolutely, positively not get the flash pass unless the park looks like it'll be really busy from the start of the day. SFOG shouldn't pick up on a Sunday until around 1, so you should have enough time to do the rides you need to hit w/o the FP. The only reason that I'd get the FP is if you're interested in a TON of rerides, or again, if the park looks to be super busy.

The park usually opens around 10:30. In my visits there (all on Sunday) I have seen The Georgia Cyclone open up a little earlier than 10:30, so there will be a line for this early. If you can hit it at this time that's OK, but you need to make absolutely sure you get back to the rope drop by 10:30. Everyone will be heading for Goliath (much like the ROTB back to Diamondback) at 10:30, so if you find yourself at the front of this line go there first. If you aren't at the front of the line, skip Goliath for later and go to Mindbender and Batman first to get those out of the way.

Head to Monster Mansion to knock that out and then head back to Superman, Great American Scream Machine, and Ninja (if you dare!). You can then head back to the front of the park to pick up the mine train, Acrophobia, and the Georgia Cyclone (in case you missed it before park opening). You can now pick up Georgia Scorcher and Goliath at this time, as the lines for these should be more manageable by this time.

^^ Don't know much about the shows. Be warned that food prices are expensive, though not nearly as bad as CF parks. Many places in the park offer meal deals so that should help some if you decide to go that route. I know that for some families it's not practical to go outside the park, but there are a ton of food options at the next exit up I-20 going west.

Regarding your Friday/Sat/Sun question, definitely DO NOT go on that Saturday unless you absolutely have to. It looks like there will be a concert on that day (the 8th), so I'd avoid that at all costs. Friday or Sunday should be much more doable, but if I had to choose personally I'd go Sunday. As I mentioned earlier, crowds early on Sunday (first two hours) will generally be the best you'll see during those three days unless weather intervenes, so make sure you get those rides in early!

For us, I like the GFP. Since I am driving down from Columbus to go to the park, the extra $$$ to guarantee that we will get a ton of re-rides is a great value. Now if the park is empty, that is a different story. When we went to SFGAm the locals told us that Sundays had been pretty light. When we got there we decided to get the GFP and were glad we did. Most coasters had over a 1 hour wait. With the GFP we got 3 rides on Superman with only a 5 minute wait while the sign said 2 hours.

That's cool. Just remember that schools are back in session during that time as well, so the crowds probably won't be as bad the weekend you're going compared to the initial poster going down this weekend, so enjoy your trip. Let me know how the GFP works out at that park, as we've never really had the need to use it there. I'm betting you'll probably reride the Goliath/Mindbender/Batman trilogy a bunch!

^ I see in your signature that you're going to SFOG on a Sunday. If you have a FLIP camcorder (or know someone who has one), you may want to check this offer out: Flash Pass Offer. Regarding the flash pass, I would absolutely, positively not get the flash pass unless the park looks like it'll be really busy from the start of the day. SFOG shouldn't pick up on a Sunday until around 1, so you should have enough time to do the rides you need to hit w/o the FP. The only reason that I'd get the FP is if you're interested in a TON of rerides, or again, if the park looks to be super busy.

The park usually opens around 10:30. In my visits there (all on Sunday) I have seen The Georgia Cyclone open up a little earlier than 10:30, so there will be a line for this early. If you can hit it at this time that's OK, but you need to make absolutely sure you get back to the rope drop by 10:30. Everyone will be heading for Goliath (much like the ROTB back to Diamondback) at 10:30, so if you find yourself at the front of this line go there first. If you aren't at the front of the line, skip Goliath for later and go to Mindbender and Batman first to get those out of the way.

Head to Monster Mansion to knock that out and then head back to Superman, Great American Scream Machine, and Ninja (if you dare!). You can then head back to the front of the park to pick up the mine train, Acrophobia, and the Georgia Cyclone (in case you missed it before park opening). You can now pick up Georgia Scorcher and Goliath at this time, as the lines for these should be more manageable by this time.

^^ Don't know much about the shows. Be warned that food prices are expensive, though not nearly as bad as CF parks. Many places in the park offer meal deals so that should help some if you decide to go that route. I know that for some families it's not practical to go outside the park, but there are a ton of food options at the next exit up I-20 going west.

Regarding your Friday/Sat/Sun question, definitely DO NOT go on that Saturday unless you absolutely have to. It looks like there will be a concert on that day (the 8th), so I'd avoid that at all costs. Friday or Sunday should be much more doable, but if I had to choose personally I'd go Sunday. As I mentioned earlier, crowds early on Sunday (first two hours) will generally be the best you'll see during those three days unless weather intervenes, so make sure you get those rides in early!

Thank you. You've been a big help by posting all of that. All of what you mentioned will be the "law" of the trip.