Kings Island's Eiffel Tower Construction

coaster_junky

okay, i searched and didn't see anything on this, but i found a little article about the construction of Kings Island's effiel tower, along with a picture of the tower before completed.

here's the link: http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/search/label/Kings%20Island

Edited by coaster_junky

For clarification, the article which you speak of was posted on August 6th, 2009. If you click on Kings Island on the right, it likely will be easier to find the article in question. Also, if you scroll to the two sections on The Beast, you can actually see the calculations that John Allen gave the park when they were planning The Beast.

Very cool stuff indeed!

The News Plus Notes style articles and literature are things you would think you would read on KIC.

News Plus Notes certainly presents some really cool information, some of it we have seen time and time again, but I always love seeing those bits of history that I have gotten complacent on return in new forms and presentations!

Also, if you scroll to the two sections on The Beast, you can actually see the calculations that John Allen gave the park when they were planning The Beast.

Very cool stuff indeed!

The Beast Articles were fascinating. I especially liked these quotes:

• The velocity of the train was too great for this formula so they increased the bank angle to reduce the side forces. This was actually done early in the 1979 season, as an overnight project and was relatively easy to do - I'm guessing things are different today, I can't imagine doing something like this overnight
  • Some check brakes were also installed with buckets of lead ingots to check the trains of excess speed. These brakes were later removed as the banking angles were increased on some of the problem curves - And people say that trims have never been added/removed from The Beast :P
  • The first structural replacements on The Beast began in 2006, after Cedar Fair took over the park - This surprised me, but for those that complain that CF doesn't maintain theming like Paramount did - I'm glad they at least took care of the ride. And as a side note the Paramount teal and purple 20th anniversary logo looks hideous

• 1 year later...

There was a link someplace on KIC last year with a video, I thought it was on Youtube, showing the construction of the tower. Does anyone remember the link or what it might be under on Youtube?

Thanks

Also, if you scroll to the two sections on The Beast, you can actually see the calculations that John Allen gave the park when they were planning The Beast.

Very cool stuff indeed!

The Beast Articles were fascinating. I especially liked these quotes:

• The velocity of the train was too great for this formula so they increased the bank angle to reduce the side forces. This was actually done early in the 1979 season, as an overnight project and was relatively easy to do - I'm guessing things are different today, I can't imagine doing something like this overnight
  • Some check brakes were also installed with buckets of lead ingots to check the trains of excess speed. These brakes were later removed as the banking angles were increased on some of the problem curves - And people say that trims have never been added/removed from The Beast :P
  • The first structural replacements on The Beast began in 2006, after Cedar Fair took over the park - This surprised me, but for those that complain that CF doesn't maintain theming like Paramount did - I'm glad they at least took care of the ride. And as a side note the Paramount teal and purple 20th anniversary logo looks hideous

These are cool, but I don't remember them. The one I remember was like the end of the first one, showing the guys walking the top. My youngest is doing her city projecton Kings Island and is doing a scale model of the tower. I thought the kids would find the construction interesting.

thanks

Is this what you are looking for?

Found here:

http://www.KICentral...opic=16703&st=0

See also:

http://interthemepar...kingsisland.htm