Attendance figures

IcarusLives

According to an article in the LA Times, PKI's attendance was up 3% for 2003. Not a big number but PKI was one of the few parks that was up for the year. CP, Epcot, DCA, and Sea World-Orlando also had increases.

By The Associated Press

ORLANDO, Fla. — Here is a list of the top 25 best-attended amusement parks for 2003, their attendance and the percentage change from last year.

1. The Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Fla., 14 million, flat

2. Disneyland, Anaheim, Calif., 12.7 million, flat

3. Epcot at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Fla., 8.6 million, up 4 percent

4. Disney-MGM Studios at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Fla., 7.8 million, down 2 percent

5. Disney's Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Fla., 7.3 million, flat

6. Universal Studios at Universal Orlando, 6.8 million, flat

7. Islands of Adventure at Universal Orlando, 6 million, flat

8. Disney's California Adventures, Anaheim, Calif., 5.3 million, up 13 percent

9. SeaWorld Florida, Orlando, Fla., 5.2 million, up 4 percent

10. Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal City, Calif., 4.5 million, down 12 percent

11. Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, 4.3 million, down 4 percent

11. Adventuredome at Circus Circus, Las Vegas, 4.3 million, down 4 percent

13. SeaWorld California, San Diego, 4 million, flat

14. Knott's Berry Farm, Buena Park, Calif., 3.4 million, down 4 percent

15. Cedar Point, Sandusky, Ohio, 3.3 million, up 3 percent

16. Paramount's Kings Island, Kings Island, Ohio, 3.2 million, up 3 percent

17. Morey's Piers, Wildwood, N.J., 3.2 million, down 5 percent

18. Six Flags Great Adventure, Jackson, N.J., 3.1 million, down 3 percent

19. Six Flags Magic Mountain, Valencia, Calif., 3 million, down 2 percent

20. Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk in California, 3 million, flat

21. Paramount Canada's Wonderland, Maple, Ont., 2.62 million, down 7 percent

22. Six Flags Over Texas, Arlington, Texas, 2.6 million, down 3 percent

23. Six Flags Great America, Gurnee, Ill., 2.57 million, down 5 percent

24. Hersheypark, Hershey, Pa., 2.55 million, down 3 percent

25. Busch Gardens, Williamsburg, Va., 2.5 million, down 4 percent

* __

Source: Amusement Business

Here's a link to the article (you do have to register with the LA Times to view it though)

http://www.latimes.com/business/investing/...sting-headlines

Being so close to CP in capacity just proves we dont need some ungodly high poorly built erector set to draw people to our park. So stop whining about your BMflyer/floorless/giga/hyper/whateva. If PKI can avoid spending enormous sums of money on huge coasters (millenium/top jizz dragster) and draw basically the same amount of people why would they.

I found the results interesting. All those people who kept saying that CP was going to blow away PKI in attendance because of TTD were wrong. I bet PKI is happpy with what they spent on 2003 attractions when they see the increase.

I found the Six Flags numbers interesting also. Two of the parks got new costers (S:UF) and saw decreases. Oh, and where was SFWOA on the list? No where to be found.

I agree with Boobkinos on what he said. We don't need a massive coaster every year to get people coming in, but I do know some ACE people who are thinking about not buying a PKI pass for 2004 because of the drought of new coasters. I think Deli was a great addition to the park. On themeparkcritic.com its rated the best ride in PKI and is also rated 17th in the country! If we do get a new CREATIVE ride (unlike TTD), we should knock CP out of the top seasonal spot because we will get our regular returners coming back, along with alot of ACErs.

Exactly how is TTD not a new creative coaster? I do believe it is the only stratacoaster in the world. Never mind it's the tallest, fastest, and most extreme coaster in the world. Anyway, I still think PKI needs a new coaster. Doesn't have to be record-breaking, just a good steel coaster. The best they have to offer in steel is FOF or Vortex. Seems they are overdue for a new steel. And yes, PKI came right in behind CP, but let's not forget who cleans up in other categories other than attendance. Like CP's ability to win consecutively the award for moving the most people thorough their rides. And, friendlier workers, and better accomodations located on their premises. The only award for PKI...Best Kid's Area. Craptacular!

1) Remember, that kids area brings in alot of people by itself, so its not craptacular. B ) TTD is tall and fast, oooooh, so creative! 3) Friendlier workers? I was at CP 2 days in 2000 (trying to make another trip there in 2004) and I only remember 1 really friendly employee. 1 out of 2 full day visits? Not gonna cut it. D) The only thing I agree with you in that statement is the fact that PKI needs a new steel coaster. Let's face it peeps, Reptar didn't cut it for us big'uns, lol.

Edited by StXBomber

ok, I would like to point out a few things:

1) TTD is NOT creative. It launches, does a tophat, and returns to the station. Wow, I waited in line 6 hrs for a 15 second ride.

2) To those ACErs, screw 'em. Im an ACEr myself, but those who refuse to buy a pass just because PKI hasnt had a new coaster in a couple of years is total bull ****. If you want coasters, go somewhere else.

3) Those people who vote on those pamphlets are mostly CPaholics. The reason they dont know how frendly other parks are is because they dont spend as much time at PKI or other parks.

4) Like a poster said, best kids area bring customers to the gate. For those of you who have gone to CP, how many families have you seen? Im talking with at least one kid under 48".

5) Why are we arguing about attendance figures, and who won what? This is something you would see on PKIC or Coasterbuzz (HI JEFF!!!!)