Wisc. Dells: 12 Y.O. Girl Seriously Injured

Wow, so I just read this thread (as I wasn't around when it was started and was just recently bumped)...what a tragic event this was, and continues to be! :( I can only hope she can eventually make a full recovery, or nearly one with very few limitations in her very long life ahead :) So his DNA was collected due to being convicted of a felony (and in other states it is as soon as being arrested). But why? For some things this makes sense, but not all.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So that if and when other crimes are committed and DNA samples are taken, searches for possible matches can be made...

Recently, in Cabell County WV, for instance, a DNA match was made on two reported rapes at the Huntington Mall that took place decades ago. The person originally collared was not in fact the culprit, even though he had been found guilty in court. It turned out an investigator for law enforcement at the police lab was corrupt and conjured up a match where there wasn't one. Now, a prisoner who had already been in for another crime is being tried...

...Good claims innocence, but investigators say they found Good's DNA on the victims' clothing. Good had been in prison serving time for a 1992 murder when officials ran a check of DNA found on the victims. Because Good was in prison, his DNA was in a system, and it matched what investigators had found.

DNA also led to the exoneration of Glen Dale Woodall, who spent five years in prison for the crime he didn't commit....

http://www.wvmetrone...y&storyid=44260

So that if and when other crimes are committed and DNA samples are taken, searches for possible matches can be made...

Recently, in Cabell County WV, for instance, a DNA match was made on two reported rapes at the Huntington Mall that took place decades ago. The person originally collared was not in fact the culprit, even though he had been found guilty in court. It turned out an investigator for law enforcement at the police lab was corrupt and conjured up a match where there wasn't one. Now, a prisoner who had already been in for another crime is being tried...

...Good claims innocence, but investigators say they found Good's DNA on the victims' clothing. Good had been in prison serving time for a 1992 murder when officials ran a check of DNA found on the victims. Because Good was in prison, his DNA was in a system, and it matched what investigators had found.

DNA also led to the exoneration of Glen Dale Woodall, who spent five years in prison for the crime he didn't commit....

http://www.wvmetrone...y&storyid=44260

What a misjustice. Five years can never be replaced and even if proven innocent, the stigma remains. A lot of people take jury duty for granted; I think its a very serious matter to have someone's future in your hands. Corruption and thievery are two things I cannot tolerate, period.

Ok I had that as an idea....but wanted to see if there was anything else :) Do you know if anything happened to the investigator? And I've heard of other cases like this. A local group (maybe UC law students?) sometimes helps prove "criminals'" innocence by showing mistakes made in the case....or finding new DNA that wasn't tested before.