Cinci Streetcar A Go

But, the sunk costs here were most definitely NOT irrelevant. You see, most of the sunk costs were federally financed. Had this project not proceeded THIS month, guess who was demanding that funding (almost all already spent) be repaid, in full, with interest.

The sunk money was largely not local. Had the project died, it would have become a local obligation. Choices were to get the project with largely federal funding, or not get it but pay all the sunk costs locally.

Irrelevant? No.

• Like 4

But, the sunk costs here were most definitely NOT irrelevant. You see, most of the sunk costs were federally financed. Had this project not proceeded THIS month, guess who was demanding that funding (almost all already spent) be repaid, in full, with interest.

The sunk money was largely not local. Had the project died, it would have become a local obligation. Choices were to get the project with largely federal funding, or not get it but pay all the sunk costs locally.

Irrelevant? No.

So much for the idea of "free federal funding." Bet the locals did not count on that twist. The big lesson here is all money is money. Federal tax dollars are "your" dollars just like local tax dollars are "your" dollars. Or debt. Depending on which way you look at it.

Walkable cities are not a product of streetcars. It is much more involved. Compare the public cost of the streetcar with the public cost of reopening Kentucky Kingdom and one quickly sees how expensive public transportation actually is. It is a very poor allocation of capital.

Rental cars are cheaper to provide than public transportation schemes.

Wisconsin elected a governor in large measure due to his promise to kill the high speed rail funding from Washington. Seems the operating losses going forward were to great for the state to carry.

“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.” -- Tom Robbins

• Like 2

Right wrong or indifferent, the way cities are going and long distance traveling is going + the cost of fuel and car maintenance, something has to give. If enough people demand a cheap and easy to use public transportation it will happen. But the breaking point has to happen.

Is it fuel running at 3.30-3.75 a gallon?

Is it the hour drive from 275 to downtown anytime between the hours of 4-7?

Is it people living farther and farther from their places of work?

(Personally, I drive 56 minutes to work in no traffic. If there was a train followed by a bus/street car exchange that went to where I work/close enough I would do it.)

I love my car. I love driving. However, I would drive to a train-station followed by a bus ride if it meant I could sleep an extra 60-90 minutes before work. Yes I would be okay with a longer commute if it meant that I could get work done, relax, etc.

Is the street car the perfect plan? I would say no. Mainly because, personally, I would have started with a phase that got people from outside of downtown into the city (Clifton, east-side, or west-side). But it is a start. With the talk that sooner than later Cincinnati and Dayton will be becoming a 1 large metro area, a push in this area could be more important.

I am waiting for the day that Cincinnati and Hamilton county announce that they are doing something similar to Columbus and Franklin county. One big tax base stretching from county line to county line. Something needs to happen because most people in the area now live outside of the City Limits.....

• Like 2