6th Annual Coasting for Kids - Sunday, June 8

jcgoble3

This isn't totally related to Coasting for Kids, but it is somewhat, so I'll post it here.

If you haven't heard of it before, Amazon Smile is a program through Amazon.com where 0.5% of every purchase goes to a charity of your choosing. To use it, just shop through smile.amazon.com instead of the normal site. All items are exactly the same price as they would normally be, so you don't pay a penny more. Give Kids the World is one of the many, many charities you can choose to benefit with your purchases, as are A Kid Again, and many of the other nonprofits that Kings Island and KICentral members have given to over the years. I know that half a percent doesn't seem like much, but look at it this way: when I graduate college, I plan on ordering a nice Nikon DSLR camera as a graduation present. With that purchase that I would have been making regardless, a charity of my choice will be given a few dollars at no additional cost to me.

Seems like a pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

I just signed up for the event again, but decided to do it at Cedar Point this year. I have a goal if I can raise at least $300 dollars I will shave my head.

I set my goal at $75. I have also issued a challenge to my donors. If I double my goal, I'll sit in a wheel seat for as much of The Racer marathon as possible. If I TRIPLE my goal, I'll sit in 1-3 or 5-3 for as much of the marathon as possible.

I am also accepting donations of Advil, Tylenol, Aleve, and any other relevant things to help me deal with my apparent poor decision making skills. In hindsight, I hope that everybody is just clamoring for those seats so I can't take them ;)

• Like 3

I actually have not bothered to start fundraising because I'm not sure if I'm going to do Coasting for Kids this year, even though I've already paid the registration fee. The more I think about it, the more I want to maximize the number of days this year where I can enjoy the park by myself on my own schedule, like I did in 2010 and 2011, and minimize the number of days where I stick with a group and/or do things on a predefined itinerary, as was the case with the majority of my visits to KI last year. I find the former to be more fun, and I want to recapture some of that fun this year.

So I'm still thinking about it. The date is currently marked on my calendar with a question mark, and I'll make a decision either way before the end of the month. I'm just not sure whether I want to do it. Even if I don't, there's a chance I may show up that day just to cheer you guys on. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've officially registered! This will be my 3rd year participating... it's a fun way to raise money for a great cause, and I love spending the day with some really great people every year. GKTW does a lot of good work. I love reading the monthly emails I get from them, and once GatorGirl's old enough, I'd love to volunteer down there sometime.

Feel free to donate to my page if you would like!

http://support.gktw.org/site/TR/CoastingForKids/General?px=1015750&pg=personal&fr_id=1236

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter is collecting for Coasting for Kids. Please help if you can! Thank you Dee for setting her up and Michael for donating already!

http://support.gktw.org/site/TR/CoastingForKids/General?px=1225213&pg=personal&fr_id=1236

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a reminder my daughter is doing Coasting For Kids and can use your help!

Ok if you want to bash me for asking this question i deserve it. Im half asleep and dont have the energy to look if its been answered already, kind of a spur of the moment idea. If i were to bring my 8 year old would she need to pay the fee and raise $75 too also to participate?

^ Only those who register and meet the fundraising minimum by the deadline will be able to participate.

Of course, others could enter the park (during public operating hours, with a valid form of admission) and join you in areas that are open to the public, but they wouldn't be able to participate in the event. (reserved coaster riding, lunch/reception, etc)

• Like 2

Only those who register and meet the fundraising minimum by the deadline will be able to participate.

Speaking of which, I will not be participating this year. I did register when it first opened, but I never got started on fundraising, and eventually I decided that I need a year off from this event. Chances are that I will be back participating next year.

As for those of you that are participating, have fun and remember what an awesome cause you're supporting! :)

Only because I was the first KICer to register. If it were possible to transfer captaincy and I knew how, I would do it. But I don't think it's possible.

There's still a good chance that I will be there on the 8th to observe and cheer you guys on, but it would be as a regular park guest.

My daughter is collecting for Coasting for Kids. Please help if you can! Thank you Dee for setting her up and Michael for donating already!

http://support.gktw.org/site/TR/CoastingForKids/General?px=1225213&pg=personal&fr_id=1236

My daughter still needs donations. Please help her out. It's not about her doing the event but helping an awesome cause. There is no donation too small.

• Like 2

I need to wait until I get paid next Tuesday, then I will see about donating to a few of you. :)

With me staying I wouldn't mind taking Captaincy deal. I donated randomly here & there, biggest thing was if I have the event off. With enough planning I'm sure I could go through with it..sooo

Give the enlisted folk a commissioned rank :P

I just looked through my participant center, and there is no option to transfer captaincy. :(

• Like 1

I need to wait until I get paid next Tuesday, then I will see about donating to a few of you. :)

With me staying I wouldn't mind taking Captaincy deal. I donated randomly here & there, biggest thing was if I have the event off. With enough planning I'm sure I could go through with it..sooo

Give the enlisted folk a commissioned rank :P

I just looked through my participant center, and there is no option to transfer captaincy. :(
If you want to be involved but can't do the event why don't you use your captain authority to help to ensure that others on the team have enough donations and that the internal donations are evenly spread out and things of that sort? You can still help out the team without participating, although I'm sure they'll want to see you there.
  • Like 3

Yeah, I need to get off my lazy ass and do something eventually. :P

And as of right now, unless something comes up, I plan to be at the park on the 8th to socialize with you guys and cheer you on; I'll just be there as a regular park guest rather than a participant. :)

I still have not met my minimum either, so if anyone would like to donate any amount it would be appreciated! I love participating in this event, not only because I get to hang out with my KIC family, but because it helps these amazing, deserving kids have a great trip to Orlando. Thanks to the NoChickens and JLopez for donating to my page!

• Like 2

why don't you use your captain authority to help to ensure that others on the team have enough

Grab your glasses, I'll even bold it for you ^^_..Or was it directed to Goble, slightly confused.

I donated randomly here & there

I could only donate so much this time, I have a BGW trip, a Holiday World Trip, and possibly a CW trip this year I have yet to fully fund. I want to get my parks in this summer for sure now, especially BGW..I think this year they may take the cake as my favorite park with a few rides/tours/shows. Their lineup there is fantastic this year. Why does KI not have a coaster behind the scenes tour yet btw?? Fantastic idea.