More FUNtv's being installed at Kings Island

BoddaH1994

They have to secure licensing for everything they play. They cant just play anything they want. The Cash Coaster is new. Saw a few episodes of it. Its evolving slowly. Youust remember, KI is creating the content for all of the parks. Or at least putting it all together as per the press releases.

• Like 3

Maybe. Radio stations and large businesses who play music usually pay a flat fee. The fee is based on ratings or number of expected patrons.

As for why there may be a limited number of songs could be on design. Remember the enthusiast or the person who comes to the park daily is not usually the target market. .

• Like 3

Maybe. Radio stations and large businesses who play music usually pay a flat fee. The fee is based on ratings or number of expected patrons.

As for why there may be a limited number of songs could be on design. Remember the enthusiast or the person who comes to the park daily is not usually the target market. .

Not daily, I mean hourly or every two hours...the same things play multiple times. A guest visiting one day could see the same thing several times while in line for different rides.

I'd even go so far as to say the person paying rapt attention to the programming for more than a few moments at a time is not the target market.

Consider media outlets that play the same ad twice in succession. It's not usually a mistake.

Not daily, I mean hourly or every two hours...the same things play multiple times. A guest visiting one day could see the same thing several times while in line for different rides.

Yes.  Read what Terp wrote.  The person who comes to the park once or twice a year wont really notice the same games/ads being played, etc.  They will be busy talking to their friends.  Checking their phone.  Looking at the ride.  Planning their next ride or where to go for food.  Etc.  The park (for most) is a novel experience.  Getting some quick "knowledge" about the park from the screens is for those people.  Being reminded of a food item or a song is again for those people.  

Quick example of "real life radio"... In a 2 hour block, the dj has 15-20 must play songs, that on average will fill half the time.  The dj will also have 3-5 commercial blocks per hour, so for a 2 hour block, that is an average of 8 commercial blocks at 3 minutes each.  So 24 minutes.  You are now at 84/120 minutes.  fill in with DJ breaks, say 30 seconds each and 10 per hour, so 10 minutes for a 2 hour block.  You now have 94/120.  You can then filter in 1-2 new songs per block.  100/124.  Contests or call in account for 3 minutes each hour.  You are not at 106/120.  Throw in a little retro music 2 songs per hour, 4 total.  14 minutes can be added.  you are now at 120/120 minutes.  Then it all starts over again.  The same 15-20 songs must be played, etc....

So at a park, if you are there all day, yeah you will hear the same stuff, but its intended that you wont or you wont pay attention to it.  Just like radio...

• Like 3

Personally, I've only spent a couple of days in the park so far this year.  As I find much of the content uninteresting (obscure songs I've never heard of and don't catch my attention, ads, etc.), I hardly am paying much attention to the screens.

Yet, over and over, I found myself annoyed at the same ad playing over and over.  The same song.  And, note that you don't have to pay any attention to the screens when the audio is piped in all around you.  For some, it's hard to ignore loud speakers.

• Like 1

How do you know the guests don't realize it? I mean, it's not that big of a deal, but I'm sure there's plenty of people who do say throughout the day, "didn't we already hear/see this?" It could be a quick fix - get some more content. 

• Like 1

Content is king. I don't think anyone would complain about new content but it's done (probably) on purpose or for a purpose.

If you have too much content information can get buried.

And just because you don't like the music doesn't mean it's bad. The music is chosen to be enjoyed by the majority of the guests. The ads are chosen to be directed at the majority of the guests.

• Like 1

Content is king. I don't think anyone would complain about new content but it's done (probably) on purpose or for a purpose.

And just because you don't like the music doesn't mean it's bad. The music is chosen to be enjoyed by the majority of the guests. The ads are chosen to be directed at the majority of the guests.

Is it done on purpose or is it for reasons such as licensing?  Do you have inside info?

Nothing but music gets buried when you add more songs into the mix.  Daily guests who don't know what to expect from the playlist would not complain that they didn't hear (insert a particular song here).

Who claimed the music was bad?  I personally mentioned that I personally find a lot of it uninteresting.  Some annoying.  "Bad" is vague here.  People have varied tastes; I like some songs that most people don't and vice versa.  Fortunately, I haven't come across anything obscene.  That said, if the music was targeted at the majority of the guest population, one might expect more mainstream music.

If the ads are carefully chosen, in my opinion, they're doing it way wrong.  GameFly in particular is a huge contrast from the chain's previous message of getting people to put down the controller and come enjoy the park.  Now that you're in the park, they're telling you to go back to that couch and pick the controller back up.

FunTV can be used to get guests to put away smartphones and engage more in the crowd atmosphere of the queue.  Some of the park trivia already does this; guests who don't even know each other discuss the questions.  The sports/news section doesn't really do that.  You can get all that.. on your phone.  Maybe mix in less of that and more of things like Cash Coaster.  That gets guests paying more attention to the content and less to their phones.

It's only the second year of FunTV and one team at KI has a lot of parks to build out.  By no means is the current content set perfect.  It's alright for what it is, but I'm sure even the team knows that there is a lot they can do to improve, given the time.

• Like 3

Is it done on purpose or is it for reasons such as licensing?  Do you have inside info?

Nothing but music gets buried when you add more songs into the mix.  Daily guests who don't know what to expect from the playlist would not complain that they didn't hear (insert a particular song here).

Who claimed the music was bad?  I personally mentioned that I personally find a lot of it uninteresting.  Some annoying.  "Bad" is vague here.  People have varied tastes; I like some songs that most people don't and vice versa.  Fortunately, I haven't come across anything obscene.  That said, if the music was targeted at the majority of the guest population, one might expect more mainstream music.

If the ads are carefully chosen, in my opinion, they're doing it way wrong.  GameFly in particular is a huge contrast from the chain's previous message of getting people to put down the controller and come enjoy the park.  Now that you're in the park, they're telling you to go back to that couch and pick the controller back up.

FunTV can be used to get guests to put away smartphones and engage more in the crowd atmosphere of the queue.  Some of the park trivia already does this; guests who don't even know each other discuss the questions.  The sports/news section doesn't really do that.  You can get all that.. on your phone.  Maybe mix in less of that and more of things like Cash Coaster.  That gets guests paying more attention to the content and less to their phones.

It's only the second year of FunTV and one team at KI has a lot of parks to build out.  By no means is the current content set perfect.  It's alright for what it is, but I'm sure even the team knows that there is a lot they can do to improve, given the time.

In previous careers, I know and understand music Licensing.  Most companies and businesses pay the same amount for music licensing no matter what they play.  So if they play 3 different songs 100 times or 100 songs 3 times, the price would be the same.  ASCAP BMI, etc.... Gamefly targets to a very specific group of people.  I would guess that same target group would be the same people who attend amusement parks....

I dont disagree with your idea about more content, but I would guess the music and ads are chosen for a reason as it speaks to a larger group of people.  Plus ads help keep the system on air...

• Like 2