Soak City tips for younger kids

electricsun

Here's my challenge. I know how to prepare the niece and nephew for rides and coasters. However, I'm at a loss as to how to prepare them as they get taller for the slides in Soak City. I never went to a water park until late high school/college so my personal experience is of no use. 

How did you (or would you) help kids conquer the other experiences beyond Splash Landing and Coconut Grove? If it helps, I'll be able to take them for one-on-on time while they hang out with their mom and big brother in the other two tried and true spots. Thanks in advance for any and all tips and tricks!

• Like 3

My daughter has been going to waterparks since she born(actually while her mother was pregnant) so she had an early start but when she was 18 months, we went down the kiddy slides with her until she was big enough to do it herself. Once she was big enough for bigger slides, she went on her own.

• Like 3

Just like roller coasters, move up from the smaller slides to the bigger slides as they see fit. Last year my daughter (who was 4 at the time) went from riding the little kiddie slides by the wave pool to the larger slides with that big water area where they spray you, to the family tube ride, and finally up to Rendezvous Run which was quite an accomplishment.

Couple other tips:

- Make sure the child is comfy in the tubes, they can feel uncomfortable to younger ones some times and feel like they are sinking in

- Sunscreen

- Do the wave pool, but remember that Kings Island requires children under 48" to wear life jackets and it is enforced

- Sunscreen

- Do the lazy river, it is probably the best lazy river I have ever been on

- Sunscreen

• Like 6

dtk1378 hit it right on the nose.  Gradually work them up, just like other rides/coasters.  Don't put any pressure on the child, but reassure them that it's fun.

At 10 years old, GatorGirl is still unsure about enclosed waterslides.  She's fine with them if she's in a tube with us like on Mondo Monsoon or ZOOMbabwe at Holiday World.   She did Pineapple Plunge a few years ago and liked it, but now won't do it again.  Come to think of it, she's fine with solo tubes in enclosed slides because she's done them at Great Wolf... who can follow the logic of children?

Every time we're at Soak City I ask her to do Rendezvous Run with me because she absolutely loved Jungle Racer at HW (their mat racer), but she won't because it's enclosed at the top.  I don't pressure her, I just ask once each time, remind her how much she liked Jungle Racer and tell her it's basically the same thing, hoping she'll change her mind.  I have yet to try this year; maybe this will be the year!

• Like 4

1. Check the heights, at Soak City height requirements are strictly enforced on any and all attractions. Make sure to ask the Lifeguard if your child is capable of riding and or needs a lifejacket.

2. Sunscreen, it does get hot and the sun is extreme so sunscreen application is a must.

3. How to rank up: Start your day with smaller slides, something like the Splash Landing attractions or possibly some of the Lookout Cove slides if they are acceptable. Soon after go to some of the moderate slides like Zoom Flume and Thunder Falls. Both are more family fun for all ages. As they grow older and taller, that's usually when Rendezvous Run and Paridise Plunge come into riding range. After that is when usually people ride slides like Tropical Twister, Pineapple Pipeline, and Mondo Monsoon. It all depends on how brave the child is and the heights of the children.

Have fun!

BB1, that Boomerang kind of guy.

• Like 4

I've never been to KI's waterpark, and haven't been to any waterpark since The Beach back in the late 80s, perhaps early 90s.  By I'd assume a good plan would be similar to a good plan for the coaster side.  My approach, ask your child what they want to ride first, they just may surprise you.  When my niece grew to 48", she rode The Beast and Vortex before she ever set foot on Adventure Express or The Racers simply because when walking off The Beast, she looked at Vortex and told me that is what she wanted to do next.  My son, rode Drop Zone before riding any of the 48" coasters, because its easily spotted from the parking lot where we regularly park and my wife was willing.  On that note, to sympathize with Gator, my son would ride Drop Zone when he hit 48" right around his 5th birthday, he wouldn't ride it when he was 6, nor now that he's almost 7.

• Like 4

These are great! Thank you!

BB1, I really appreciate the names of the rides and "levels". That really helps.  

I had a bit of a fail last summer during one of the movie nights. They really wanted to get in the water. After waiting in line and getting an inner-tube, they freaked out as they felt like they were sinking and couldn't hold on to the inner-tube. I felt horrible. I'm just trying to avoid another bad experience. :)  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I thought I would update with another big thank you! For the niece's birthday visit, she wanted to spend time in Soak City. As we headed over, I asked if she wanted to do the slides this time and got a resounding no. Alright, then. I didn't push and we set up camp at Coconut Cove...20 minutes later moved to Splash Landing. Later, the youngest two did want to go on a bigger slide, especially since I said we could all go together.

We headed to Zoom Flume with a short stop to see people pass by so they could see what it would look like when we did it. Both gave approval and we headed up. We had a very short line which allowed us to watch the tubes coming up the conveyor belt and see how people climbed into it. They both had grins the entire slide down, they loved it and immediately wanted to ride it again. Then, their first trip on Splash River. I was worried about this as their last experience with the single tubes didn't go well. I showed them how to sit in the tubes, made sure they felt secure, and walked along side them to hold onto their tubes. I soon got the, "I'm good!" from both but I followed closely to move them around things as needed. Again, they loved it and wanted to do it again.

During the second trip on Splash River, the niece was pointing to the other slides, asking if she could ride that next. If only her height would catch up to her spunk. :)

Both kids were happy to do three (3rd was White Water Canyon, which they loved) new things today and were proud of themselves. Lots of high fives and "yay!" this afternoon.

• Like 4