2005 Announcement

m@ilman

Really? June 26th was supposedly when they were planning to make announcements first. Is this a definite date?

From what Jeff has said, this is the date they will announce the plans for 2005.

m@ilman

They're probably going to screw with our brains and on one of the prospected dates say, "We have a BIG announcement to make about next year!!!" (lots of chatter and murmuring) "The announcement for 2005 will be on August (insert your favorite date here)!!!"

No someone came up with the great idea of "What if" questions, and it was ate up as truth. You know, the normal on this board.

Tom- who cant have a good day to save his life, and if tomorrow is a bad day, I shoot myself (HW trip)

I believe that Beastbuzz thing was just a rumor that got out of hand. Don't be surprised if the announcement isn't much of anything. Just remember that Tomb Raider announcements in which it was something like.

Announcement 1: "Tomb Raider: The Ride!"

Announcement 2: "Tomb Raider: The Ride will be a dark ride!"

Announcement 3: "Tomb Raider: The Ride will be a submersive dark ride!"

It's drawn out without giving you any details to make sure that you stay tuned.

Ryan

Actually Tomb Raider's anouncement came with pictures, descriptions of the experience, and claimed that it would be the world's greatest adventure ride. I think the 2005 anouncement will be fairly comprehensive, with a description of the ride, maybe it's ride system and manufacturer, and a few nifty pictures as well.

Not that it matters, but I received my pamphlet telling me to renew my pass for 2005, and in the lower left hand corner, it tells me how I can get unlimited access to Boomerang Bay and "an exciting NEW SURPRISE!" I doubt that this Great Wolf Lodge thing people have been talking about isn't anywhere close to the entirety of the 2005 announcement for the park.

In conclusion, Frederick Douglass was black.

With such a late announcement, almost no visible construction at all, and no track/support sightings either, I wonder if this new ride will be for 2006 instead of 2005. I'm expecting a flat ride to be announced for 2005 first, and then in classic PKI style since all the enthusiasts at the event will be moaning with dissapointment, they will announce the themed coaster for 2006.

But that's just me. biggrin.gif

if this is indeed a "mummyesque" ride, then i'm beting 06 would be the year. i mean Revenge of the Mummy at Univeral was annoucned in may 03, and opened in may 04. thats a full year (and they already had the building from king kong).

i hate to say it, but it would be worth the wait if that is the case.... i'lll take a flat next year and a world class experience in 06. guess we'll all just have to wait till thursday!

Thats a good point Special K, but this is off topic, has anyone ever ridden The Mummy rides? If so could you explain what the experience is like. I think the ride should be great. The ride did coast 40,000,000, do yoou think PKI will drop this much for a ride? That would be the biggest amount of money to my knowledge of a single investment in PKI history. Im talking about just one ride, not three like the 99-00 expansion, where they got SOB, Face/Off, and Drop Zone. Im not even sure if that cost 40 million. I just don't now guess we will have to wait and see. Outer Limits didn't take that long to build, even though that ride seems a lot less complicated than the Mummy rides. Im guessing a launched coaster, with no building, and just theming throught the ride, this is just my guess.

If the Italian Job theme is correct, and the builder is Premier (assuming 2005 is the year of the coaster at all), then I'd be surprised if the coaster DID NOT incorporate LIM launching mechanisms.

Think car chase; think rapid acceleration. It makes sense to me.

In the invite it said the hottest new hollywood attraction for 2005, so I doubt it's for 2006. And even if PKI is using the mummy ride system, that doesn't mean they're using the animatronics or that level of theming, a car ride through subways and stuff is cheaper to do than a whole tomb. The big cost for the mummy rides was they're highly detailed theming, loads of animatronics, and insane special effects. It really comes down to the theme, a car ride through subways and stuff is easier to do than a tomb loaded with cutting edge effects.

So now the issue is how much themeing will this ride really have? Are we looking at another Adventure Express with a launch, (average themeing that hardy ever works) or just a different twist on Flight of Fear? (No themeing during the ride, with average themeing in queue) Could we have another Disaster Transport on our hands for 2005?

I have no trouble at all believing that Revenge of the Mummy had a price tag of 40 million, but I do have a hard time believing that PKI could drop that same amount into their new ride. From what I have read, that 40 million was entirely worth it for the incredible experience that Mummy provides. A "measley" 20-25 million for the "Hottest Hollywood Attraction for 2005" definately won't provide the Universal-esque type of experience that PKI is now apparently going for. And that doesn't include the time frame they have to build it and test it if the ride is suppposed to be ready for the 2005 season.

Paramount's Kings Island, and especially Jeffrey Siebert know what they're doing, so I'm probably worried about nothing. I guess we'll just have to wait for August 12.