Canada's Wonderland advice

Hi all,

My family will be visiting Canada this summer (late July/early August) and I of course want to take advantage of what will be relatively close proximity to Canada's Wonderland.  I have never been there before, so I am hoping that those who have could give me some advice.  If you are one of those people, would you mind answering a few questions for me?

• Are the prices on the website in CAD or USD?  I'm inclined to think the former, but I want to be sure . . .

• What day(s) are best to visit, and how long should I plan to stay to experience everything?

• Any particular ticket purchasing recommendations, such as an After 4 ticket or advance purchase ticket?

• Which rides are absolutely essential to my visit?

• Any other advice or comments?

Thanks,

Merthecat

28 minutes ago, Merthecat said:

Hi all,

My family will be visiting Canada this summer (late July/early August) and I of course want to take advantage of what will be relatively close proximity to Canada's Wonderland.  I have never been there before, so I am hoping that those who have could give me some advice.  If you are one of those people, would you mind answering a few questions for me?

• Are the prices on the website in CAD or USD?  I'm inclined to think the former, but I want to be sure . . .

• What day(s) are best to visit, and how long should I plan to stay to experience everything?

• Any particular ticket purchasing recommendations, such as an After 4 ticket or advance purchase ticket?

Thanks,

Merthecat

I'd for sure get Fast Lane, we plan to spend 3 days next year at CW and will definitely Fast Lane all 3 days

1 hour ago, Merthecat said:

Hi all,

Thanks,

Merthecat

Prices are in CAD. 

I'd say any day is going to be crazy, since there are buses from Toronto's transit system that drop folks off at the park and of course, it's a major metropolitan area. Plan on being there all day (if not a couple of days if you have a Platinum Pass)

Upgrade to a Platinum Pass if you do not have one (provided you have a Gold Pass). If no pass currently, get a platinum pass.

Take in all rides you possibly can. Leviathan, Behemoth, Sledgehammer, etc. I haven't found a particularly bad ride there. Their flat rides are amazing, so try to get as many as you can. 

If you can afford it, Fast Lane Plus.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Merthecat said:

Hi all,

Thanks,

Merthecat

1... CAD...

2... Avoid weekends if you can... If it has to be a weekend, Sundays will be less busy than Saturdays... If you're a passholder, the only ERT is 1 hour Sunday morning... Also, the Civic Holiday is August 6th, so the long weekend of the 4th-6th will have higher than normal crowd levels...

3... Can't really help as I get a Platinum Pass...

4... DON'T SLEEP ON THE FLATS... It's what CW does well... Shockwave (Mondial Top Scan), Sledgehammer(Huss Jump^2), Lumberjack (Zamperla Hawk 48) and Skyhawk (Gerstlauer Skyroller) are great, great rides... Skyhawk gives great rides, if you can flip it, which most of the people can't... 24 seats per cycle and it's not uncommon for 20 of them to have zero rotations... There's a scoreboard with a flip counter as you exit the ride, and the ride-op on the microphone will usually announce which seat got the most flips and how many... Don't worry about flipping too much, it takes effort to start flipping, and all you have to do to stop flipping is let go of the handles... The difficutly most people have is moving the wings too soon... They get on, and just start alternating them up-down-up-down as fast as they can, and that's the exact opposite of what to do... The key is to put one up, one down, and shift your bodyweight in the direction of the down wing... When the rotation stops, switch the wing direction and move your body weight to your new down wing... It'll rotate a bit farther this time... When it stops and you start to go back, switch wing direction and weight again... Repeat until you get flips... When it does, then just hold the wings in that position and you'll continue to flip... 

5... Leviathan, Behemoth and Vortex are really the only the only coasters that are any good...

Leviathan is fun, but of the 4 gigas in the chain, I think it's the 1 the least amount of people would pick as their favorite... This is where most of the crowd will head at rope drop...

I prefer Behemoth to Diamondback by a tiny bit, but it's not enough to make much of a difference... Because everyone will head to Leviathan (which is on the opposite side of the park) at open, unless it's a Sunday with Behemoth ERT, it's possible to get a lot of rides in early with zero line...

Vortex has a nice view from the top, but for the rest of it, the scenery isn't as good The Bat has, making The Bat the better ride of the two... The view on Vortex is subject to change next year when the 2019 addition... For now, you get a close view of the tunnel which the 2019 coaster will use...

BLSC is like the one at KI but with worse theming...

The Bat is just your average Boomerang...

Dragon Fire is an Arrow that opened when the park did... It's got a double loop, and then a double corkscrew... Overall though, it's not as good as KI's Vortex...

Flight Deck isn't the worst SLC I've ridden, but it's still bad...

The Fly is a Wild Mouse that really isn't anything special...

Ghoster Coaster is a small family woodie that's not a bad ride when you want a small woodie that doesn't rattle your teeth... Pretty much the same ride as Woodstock Express at KI...

Mighty Canadian Minebuster is... Well, it's there... It'll give a fun view of the waterpark, the expansion of which has caused a couple reprofilings (for the worse) to Minebuster over the years... The middle seat to every car is by far smoother than the front or rear seats...

Wild Beast is shaky, and with 2 row cars, it doesn't offer you a middle seat to avoid some of it... It does have a couple fun arm choppers, but it's not really anything special...

Silver Streak is the same as Flying Ace Aerial Chase...

Taxi Jam is for small children...

Thunder Run is fun, kids usually love it, it's a powered coaster that goes through the mountain... 1 train though, if the park gets busy, the line can get long and slow...

Wonder Mountain's Guardian is an abomination on many levels... The images aren't the greatest resolution and are often blurry... The guns don't always work great... At maximum capacity, it has 5 trains with 8 seats per train, but it's not unheard of for them to only run 4 because 1 (or more) is needing maintenance... And it's not unheard of for the remaining trains that are running to have seats blocked off for maintenance... Or to have a maintenance worker in them working on the gun while the other seats are filled with guests... The scoring factor gives it it's only sliver of re-rideability, else it'd be a one and done... This is a huge waste of a fun element that could've been great if the rest of the ride were executed better...

Guardian is the ONLY roller coaster in the park that has lockers... For the average patron of CW who is used to bins at every ride and has never been in a theme park other than CW, this is a travesty on par with serving char-broiled live puppies and ****es them off to no end, but coming from a park that realizes that having everyone put their crap in a locker means faster load/unload and less lines, the locker system won't be a problem for you...

Last, and very certainly least, is Time Warp... It looks neat, takes up a small footprint, and is every bit as bad as you've heard... If you'd like to have the experience of it in your own back yard, find a large garbage can, turn it upside down and place it over your upper body... Now invite you're local little league team over to bash on the outside of the can with baseball bats...  It's a toss up as to which would be the worse experience... 

That's it for the coasters... Be sure to check out Cirque Canadien at the Wonderland Theatre... Have a go on WindSeeker, get a view of the city... And take a look at the construction going on (if it's still going on then) for the 2019 coaster centered around the area where SkyRider used to be before it got ripped out in 2014... Also, they have Orbiter (Huss SkyLab) and Night Mares (Huss UFO) and you don't get a chance to ride those every day...

• Like 2