Bonfonte Gardens To Be Renamed Gilroy Gardens FTP

Bonfante Gardens to Be Renamed Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park

Bonfante Gardens - new name & logo. (PRNewsFoto/Great America)

GILROY, CA UNITED STATES 02/26/2007

New name one of many additions for 2007 season

GILROY, Calif., Feb. 26 /PRNewswire/ -- Bonfante Gardens, Inc., a non-profit organization and California's only horticultural theme park,

today announced it will operate as Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park. The corporate name change will be transitioned throughout the park's seventh season opening March 31, 2007.

(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20070226/SFM104LOGO )

Under recommendation by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, the park's

management company, as well as their advertising agency, the park's Board of Directors unanimously agreed to rename the property Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park. The repositioning is an opportunity to create more geographical awareness among our visitors and drive tourism to the City of Gilroy and surrounding municipalities.

"We are excited about the new direction," said Robert Kraemer,

president and chairman of the board of directors. "While the park's name

will change, our commitment to quality family entertainment and education will remain consistent."

"Renaming the park is a natural fit for the community," said Michael Bonfante, the park's founding director. "My dedication to the park and

passion for horticultural remains unchanged as we begin this new chapter."

A new name isn't the only addition guests will see when visiting the park this season. "Gil," a new garlic themed character, will make his debut at Gilroy Gardens this season. The park is also adding a number of seasonal

events designed for the entire family including Spring Fling, Red, White

and Coo Memorial Dayl, Summer Safari and Treasure Hunt.

Since many families turn to Gilroy Gardens for their child's first

theme park experience, younger guests will enjoy Pit Stop Racer and Big Red Engine Co. Sized specifically for little ones, these new rides give children their first opportunity to get behind the wheel and ride alone in

Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park opens for the 2007 season Saturday,

March 31, 2007 at 10 a.m. For more information, visit http://www.gilroygardens.org.

Gilroy Gardens, Inc. is a non-profit organization managed by Cedar Fair

Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership headquartered in

Sandusky, Ohio.

Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park, a 501©(3) non-profit organization,

is located in Gilroy, Calif. and is California's only horticultural theme

park featuring more than 40 family attractions including six majestic

gardens, educational exhibits, rides and the world famous Circus Trees. The park was awarded a 2005 and 2006 Golden Ticket by International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA) for Best Landscaping. For park information, visit http://www.gilroygardens.org or call 408-840-7100.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories....4697&EDATE=

Thrill Biscuit, there's a huge difference between a park of Kings Island's size and prominence in the industry and that of something like Bonfan...err, Gilroy Gardens. Besides enthusiasts, CF unit-holders (and others close to the business/industry) and those who live near Gilroy really don't know what the park is. Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park says to a family living in, say...New England (who might happen to be planning a trip out west) "There's a theme park in Gilroy that has fun for the whole family"

Bonfante Gardens Family Theme Park was more of a "Huh? And that is...where?"

^No real worries. It was more of a tongue-in-cheek thought starter, spawned primarily by my observation of how famous places get "renamed" from time to time. It looks like a lot of good thought went into the 'Gardens' renaming; more, it seems, than what went into the renaming of venerable football stadia during the 1990s ("3COM Park", "Heinz Field", "Investco Field", etc.). Again, no real worries.

^No real worries. It was more of a tongue-in-cheek thought starter, spawned primarily by my observation of how famous places get "renamed" from time to time. It looks like a lot of good thought went into the 'Gardens' renaming; more, it seems, than what went into the renaming of venerable football stadia during the 1990s ("3COM Park", "Heinz Field", "Investco Field", etc.). Again, no real worries.

Heinz Field is more because the fact that Heinz ketchup/catsup is in Pittsburgh. But I agree that I am not a fan of selling names of stadiums to the highest bidder. Isn't Lucas Oil Arena being built in Indapolis? Oh well, helps pay it off I guess.

"Toyota Island" Doesn't really flow off the tongue well...

Well, technically that is how Kings Island got its name. It was paying tribute to Kings Mills, Ohio, where the park was located at. It was also paying respect to Coney Island with the 'Island' portion. So by default then, Kings Island already technically describes where it is located. However, it doesn`t explain that Kings Mills (or the city of Mason) is a suburb of Cincinnati. I don`t think we have anything to worry about though. I doubt that Cedar Fair will start renaming its major parks anytime soon.

Heinz Field is more because the fact that Heinz ketchup/catsup is in Pittsburgh. But I agree that I am not a fan of selling names of stadiums to the highest bidder. Isn't Lucas Oil Arena being built in Indapolis? Oh well, helps pay it off I guess.

"Toyota Island" Doesn't really flow off the tongue well...

If they'd shorten the Colts new stadium name to just "Lucas Stadium," it would sound much better.

At least our home park isn't gong to be called "Quicken Loans Island," or "Citi Island."

Your both close it's actually called "Lucas Oil Stadium". The owner of the company is from the Columbus, IN area and does a lot with Racing oil and of course domestics. We where all taken back by that name but knowing the history behind it, the name has kind of grown on us.

That`s the beauty of the Reds ball park. True, it may be named after Great American Insurance, but it does not sound like a company name slapped on a ball park. Thats in contrast to the neighboring US Bank Arena next door. That place has seen more names in the last several years. For a while it was The Crown, then it became Firstar Arena. Then US Bank bought out Firstar, so it was renamed. Whatever happened to the good old name Riverfront Coliseum?

And speaking of naming rights, Paul Brown Stadium is actually a paid name. Mike Brown paid something on the order of $6 million to name the stadium after his dad.

And speaking of naming rights, Paul Brown Stadium is actually a paid name. Mike Brown paid something on the order of $6 million to name the stadium after his dad.

My dad would like that, of course, assuming we were renaming Heinz Field. I don't think he'd want to have anything to do with another team in the NFL, and I agree.

Your both close it's actually called "Lucas Oil Stadium". The owner of the company is from the Columbus, IN area and does a lot with Racing oil and of course domestics. We where all taken back by that name but knowing the history behind it, the name has kind of grown on us.

My bad, I was thinking it was Lucas Oil Arena because it is giong to convert to basketball as well. I must say however, it looks like an awesome sports complex. I like the construction camera they have too.

My bad, I was thinking it was Lucas Oil Arena because it is giong to convert to basketball as well. I must say however, it looks like an awesome sports complex. I like the construction camera they have too.

In resonse to Avatar, I do know that the name of the Colts' future stadium is "Lucas Oil Stadium," but I think it would sound 'classier' if shortened to just "Lucas Stadium." The original working name "Indiana Stadium" sounded better, but that's probably me and a few others thinking that.

Of course, while the primary tenant of Lucas (Oil) Stadium is Colts NFL football, the stadium will be very flexible in the uses it can have, especially conventions, concerts, and basketball. (Why didn't the Einsteins in Cincinnati think of such a facility?) Just like it was held in the RCA Dome, the NCAA tournament and Final Fours will also be played in the new Stadium every few years or so. While I thought the RCA Dome is a decent facility, the new Stadium will hands down beat it - more seats, wider seats, more restrooms, escalators, and, most importantly, retractable roof and windows, great for football games in late summer and early fall. And the Colts and Indianapolis are trying to land the Super Bowl within the next 5 to 10 years - somethng they just couldn't do with RCA Dome.

The architecture is nice, as it is reminscent of the historic Coliseum on the Indiana State Faigrounds. While I'm not the biggest fan of the retro ballpark fad, this one has some good taste, and it will surely become a catalyst for redevelopment around it, for downtown Indianapolis, and surely a new landmark for Indiana.

Back to the original topic, the new name of Gilroy Gardens is better, not only creating awareness of its location, but it is an easier name to pronounce and spell than "Bonfante."