4th of July Weekend at Silver Dollar City PTR

RailRider

Over the 4th of July weekend we loaded up the family truckster and headed to Branson MO, to spend an extended weekend with my wife's imediate family. Branson is located in the Ozark mountains and is home to numerous live shows and entertainment, also to an amazing amusement park in Silver Dollar City. Since the family is all spread across the country from Ohio to Texas we pick a different place every year to meet for a few days of family fun, this year was Branson. In all there are 13 of us so lodging can be an issue. We rented a great cabin in the Ozarks on the edge of Table Rock Lake.

Our Lovely Cabin

DSC_0004.jpg

While in Branson we also made sure to visit Branson Landing, which is an outdoor shoping area on the shore of Lake Tanycomo. Along with the great shopping the Landing also offered a unique fountain show.

Water + Fire = Good Show

DSC_0031.jpg

More Water and Fire at the Landing

DSC_0044.jpg

Zoe enjoying the show!

DSC_0058.jpg

On Sunday the 5th my wife and I took Zoe to Silver Dollar City. SDC is an amazing park opperated by Herschend Entertainment. For those familiar with Dolywood think of SDC as a smaller version. Also another uniqe fact about SDC is that it sits on top of a gigantic underground cave known as Marvel Cave, which is inculded in your price of admission. Actually Marvel Cave is why SDC is what it is today. Anyways I took many pictures of the coasters in the park but for some reasson the quality was not there, also there are some great trip reports out there on the coasters of SDC. Therefore I am taking a different approach with this trip report and focusing on Zoe's ridding experience since she is officially 36 inches tall. Enjoy.

SDC Entrance sign, credit TPR for picture.

sdc69-1.jpg

We had limited time in the park so to start off I split off from my wife and Zoe to experience the larger rides at SDC before meeting back up for lunch and then Zoe ride time. The park has a few very nice coasters in a B&M multilooper Wildfire, S&S launched coaster Powder Keg, Fire in the Hole similar to Blazing Fury and an Arrow Mine Train known as Thunderation. Also new last year was the Giant Barn Swing, which is an S&S screaming swing.

First up Wildfire, most scenic lift hill of any coaster I have ever ridden, thanks again to TPR for the picture.

wildfire.jpg

Wildfire was a nicle little surprise. The first drop is absolutely gorgeous as you are pearched on the side of a cliff looking down at the valley and lake and the first drop is floater air the entire way. Although the ride is short it packs in an Immelmann, Vertical Loop, Cobra Roll and Flat Spin. Great coaster and probably the most beautiful location I have ever seen. I had walk on rides and at one point was the only person outside the first row when ridding in the last seat. True meaning of Zen.

p1595.jpg

Next up was Powder Keg: A Blast in the Wilderness, which for those of you unaware served a past life as Buzzsaw Falls, but underwent an extensive transformation to become Powder Keg. This ride is a compressed air launched masterpiece by S&S. The launch is forceful, the hills provide great ejector airtime and the transition from S&S to Premier Track is seamless. Awesome romp through the wilderness on quite an impressive coaster, I hope S&S is able to build more coasters like this. Love the restraints as well, same found on Screaming Swings.

sdc30.jpg

Thanks again TPR for the pictures

sdc31.jpg

So after finishing off my rides on Thunderation, The Giant Barn Swing, and Fire in the Hole (I like Blazing Fury Better) I met up with my wife and Zoe so we could head to the Grand Exposition area of the park so that Zoe could get her first ever solo amusement rides. As a Father this was an awesome experience and I cannot believe how much fun my little girl had. On to the pictures

Her Favorite Ride

DSC_0077.jpg

Big Smile

DSC_0082.jpg

Did I mention she marthoned this ride?

DSC_0092.jpg

10 in a Row!

DSC_0098.jpg

Dad can you put one of these in the backyard?

DSC_0103.jpg

I think I like the Butterfly better

DSC_0121.jpg

This is much better

DSC_0215.jpg

Fly away

DSC_0256.jpg

Lets Bounce

DSC_0109.jpg

Hipity Hop

DSC_0112.jpg

Ribit Ribit

DSC_0114.jpg

Even on a frog I am cute

DSC_0193.jpg

This is better than my stuffed frog

DSC_0196.jpg

This is much better than the frogs in our backyard.

DSC_0200.jpg

Daddy just had to ride Dumbo with me

DSC_0180.jpg

Better than the movie

DSC_0171.jpg

DSC_0175.jpg

Proud papa and his soon to be little Miss RailRider...

DSC_0151.jpg

This is what happens when you have too much fun and excitement.

DSC_0136.jpg

I hope you all enjoyed reading and do yourself a favor and make a trip to Silver Dollar City. Truly an amazing park and what an experience and I am pretty sure I have a budding amusement park enthusiast on my hands.

Railrider I know you have planned and looked forward to your trip for a long time, sounds like you had a good time and got to share your beautiful Zoe with your family while on vacation. Cabin looks awesome. I am glad your shared Zoe's first solo ride with us I say all the time “they have not built a coaster or thrill ride that can give half the thrill as watching your child riding their first rides” .Nothing like it and now every time you hear some one tell you about their child's first ride you know how special and thrilling it is to them, words can not describe properly that feeling. I really enjoyed the pictures of Zoe as it's been a while since we have seen her, my my she has not only grown but she is getting more beautiful by the trip reports. Picture below is my favorite, but I must say it was hard to pick just one favorite.

DSC_0082.jpg

Thanks fore sharing and hope we see more.

First off thanks everyone for the kind words and Im glad you have enjoyed the pictures.

Avatar I never truly understood what you told me about taking your child to a park until Zoe got her first rides in this past weekend. Absolutely the best park going experience I have ever had because of how much enjoyment she got out of the park.

Skater, I may or may not have seen Adam(pkiboy). Honestly I do not know him or what he looks like, so I am not sure.

Thanks again everyone

Great TR and Zoe is too cute. Just wait till she is tall enough to be your coaster buddy. Mine will be 13 tomorrow and is almost as much of a coaster geek as I am. She is now learning to recognize the manufacture of a coaster just by looking at them. I am sooo proud :)

Railrider - thanks for sharing the great trip report.

For a smaller park, SDC has a few great rides for the coaster fans along with a really good area for the younguns in Grand Exposition - the little area where your daughters favorite ride is great for the 36" crowd, my three year old loved the frogs. The park also has some great theming and festivals/events throughout the season. Definitely a place to return for me and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

As for discounts, unfortunately about the only way to get discounts (although some offer free passes) to SDC is to sit through a timeshare sales pitch. I figured 45 minutes saying "no" was worth it.

I am the first to admit I am NOT an amusement park fanatic...I am a Kings Island fanatic...and with that said I had NO idea that a place called Silver Dollar City still existed...I kid you not, I thought it was a LONG extinct tourist attraction...I remember seeing it on The Beverly Hillbillies years and years ago...and haven't heard about it anywhere else...it sure has come a long way!

Thanks for enlightening me! :P

How crowded did you find the park to be on July 5th? We were thinking about going, but we feared it would be way too crowded...

The crowds were very lights. I had walk ons to everything and was ridding Wildfire as the only person outside the front row, I found the last row to be best. Awesome day and had all major attraction ridden multiple times in an hour.

And for those that asked we were unable to do Marvel Cave. Zoe was too tired and I didn't want to carry her hiking, been there done that, not fun.

As for discounts, unfortunately about the only way to get discounts (although some offer free passes) to SDC is to sit through a timeshare sales pitch. I figured 45 minutes saying "no" was worth it.

Yeah we had that option, but we were only in town for a few days and what time we had I didn't want to waste saying no, but I definately thought about it.

Also Standbyme, SDC is really quite nice. Very similar to Dollywood in atmosphere and an excelent collection of rides, but smaller. I would recomend visitng SDC to anyone.

What an awesome trip report! Zoe is soooo cute! I can't wait to experience Trey's first rides. You look like a very proud papa, as you should be.

SDC sounds like a great time and I may have to give it a whirl in the future.

Once again thanks everyone for the kind words and glad you have enjoyed the pictures of Zoe. Amazing how much that little girls smile can brighten my day and how much of a boost taking her to SDC gave me. I am truly blessed and glad you have all enjoyed the pictures.

And one day, I'll be coming here to share pics of Trey with you Railrider. I can't wait for the day.

On a side note, I took him swimming for the first time yesterday. Had him in a float in an inground pool and had him in a baby pool which he enjoyed much more.

• 2 months later...