What are your thoughts on Endless Summer on Ice?

BoddaH1994

Really good show! Nice place to cool off too.

I was surprised by how professional it was. When I heard they were bringing back an ice show I bought a season ticket for the first time in years, cause it gives people more options at the park, more like a major theme park now. Great show.

I would suggest they announce it 15 minutes prior to each performance though, cause alot of people forget or don't read the brochure...they need to announce it so nobody misses it. Really adds quality to the whole day experience.

Coasterz, I do believe that they announce all the shows at the park fifteen minutes before they occur. I haven`t had a chance to check out the new ice show yet. I`ve been working down at Coney the past few days, and was busy over the weekend with graduation.

I saw this show yesterday and was totally dissapointed. The skaters are talented! The set/light design is awesome! Seeing Yogi and Scooby is great! The show itself was a let down. There is no continuity to the show. Or should I say that it needs more continuity. It needs some sort of narration or transition to get you from one theme to the next. The best thing for me was that it was cool inside. I'm looking forward to seeing Twistin' to the 60's.

I saw this show yesterday and was totally dissapointed. The skaters are talented! The set/light design is awesome! Seeing Yogi and Scooby is great! The show itself was a let down. There is no continuity to the show. Or should I say that it needs more continuity. It needs some sort of narration or transition to get you from one theme to the next. The best thing for me was that it was cool inside. I'm looking forward to seeing Twistin' to the 60's.

I disagree. There isn't exactly a smooth transition between scenes, but I think they all sum up to a reasonable continuity under the understanding that you are going through the events of summer.

Just think -- Last day of school, camp, NASCAR race, 4th of July and then back to school. Granted, if they were at camp and said, "Let's get out of here, I've got tickets to a NASCAR race!" or whatever it would have made the scene transfers a little more predictable, but I think part of the fun of the show is predicting what they're going to emulate next. Just my take.

I disagree. There isn't exactly a smooth transition between scenes, but I think they all sum up to a reasonable continuity under the understanding that you are going through the events of summer.

Just think -- Last day of school, camp, NASCAR race, 4th of July and then back to school. Granted, if they were at camp and said, "Let's get out of here, I've got tickets to a NASCAR race!" or whatever it would have made the scene transfers a little more predictable, but I think part of the fun of the show is predicting what they're going to emulate next. Just my take.

I think that it may be folk that are more used to having their entertainment from television as opposed to actual theatrical productions.

Well I was a student of theatrical arts in college and have attended many broadway shows like Wicked and Phantom of the Opera in NYC..so my attention to detail may be heightened moreso than a typical parkgoer who just wants to escape from the heat. So I would say that it was a decent show for it to be in an amusement park. I personally love a big opening..something to grab the audience from the start..and I didn't feel that the show accomplished that objective with the lack luster announce of the performers and dance routine. As mentioned before, some of the transitions were a bit painful to watch. From a performance standpoint I felt that there was really only one standout...the guy who played the nerdy looking guy reminded me of the classic routines of Scott Hamilton. Something that really bugged me was the quality of the audio. I do not know if the board op was inexperienced or if it was the result of a bad recording of the soundtrack...but it seemed hollow, lacking bass and feeling. Technically speaking what stood out the most and was a major improvement from years past was the lighting. The extent of automated lighting for past shows were outdated reflectors. I was impressed to see that they spent money revamping their arsenal of automated lights which makes a big difference.

It's nice to see Cedar Fair restore the entertainment back to the park. The show is a bit choppy in places, but overall, a good ice show - and I agree it has great lighting. The Paramount Theater is better suited to musical shows such as the Graveyard Shift, School of Rock (or even the old Toy Story from Winterfest) rather than an ice show. Maybe next year the ice show can move back to the Festhaus where it used to be many years back (even though back then it played in the American Heritage Music Hall for a year before moving into the Festhaus for a few years).

Well I was a student of theatrical arts in college and have attended many broadway shows like Wicked and Phantom of the Opera in NYC..so my attention to detail may be heightened moreso than a typical parkgoer who just wants to escape from the heat. So I would say that it was a decent show for it to be in an amusement park. I personally love a big opening..something to grab the audience from the start..and I didn't feel that the show accomplished that objective with the lack luster announce of the performers and dance routine. As mentioned before, some of the transitions were a bit painful to watch. From a performance standpoint I felt that there was really only one standout...the guy who played the nerdy looking guy reminded me of the classic routines of Scott Hamilton. Something that really bugged me was the quality of the audio. I do not know if the board op was inexperienced or if it was the result of a bad recording of the soundtrack...but it seemed hollow, lacking bass and feeling. Technically speaking what stood out the most and was a major improvement from years past was the lighting. The extent of automated lighting for past shows were outdated reflectors. I was impressed to see that they spent money revamping their arsenal of automated lights which makes a big difference.

I'm friends with the stage manager of the PT, and we had kind of an interesting discussion about the show.

A lot of what makes a good show vs. a not so good show is how the crowd reacts to it. When the crowd is alive the excitement spreads like the plague and inherently makes more people have fun. A problem that's persistent with Endless Summer (which it in a way succeeded School of Rock) is that people aren't sure how they are supposed to act during the show. When a skater puts on a good performance, it seems as though people want to clap, but are afraid that it's inappropriate.

Obviously you know that I attended the rehearsals to make the update for the site, but I also made a special trip up to the park to see the final product. The biggest thing that I noticed was that people were basically sitting on their hands during the first act of the show. A few people began to clap during the duet part of the camp scene, which opened the flood gates to applaud in the NASCAR scene. After that, it dropped off again. I kind of theorize that people were afraid that their reaction was inappropriate for the show, so when it got "out of hand" everyone stopped.

I noticed a bit about the quality of the audio too, which was something I brought up with the manager. It really wasn't loud enough at the beginning of the show. I sat immediately behind the sound board, and could hear the skates strike the ice during the opening number, which I don't think is appropriate for that style of show. The sound did get much better as the course of the show went on. I'm not sure how that pans out. Oh, and trust me -- the Paramount Theatre... it gets loud... LOUD... and with amazing quality too. The problem isn't with the equipment.

May I ask you what you would have done different for an opener?

Comparing any amusement park show to Broadway, by the way, is really inappropriate. Not that I'm accusing you of doing that really.. Let's be honest, having the "best" show in a seasonal amusement park is like being the tallest midget. I honestly think that there's something really special about KI's entertainment department which makes me keep coming back. I must admit that I saw School of Rock dozens of times... I really couldn't get enough of that show. I'll probably see this show far more than once too. I have nothing but the utter most faith in the entertainment department at our park.

I still don't understand why the heck Scooby had to be in a Nascar outfit. I was excited for and expecting him to come out on the ice chasing a skating ghost or a box of Scooby Snacks or something humorous like that. I can't count the number of things I would've done differently in that show.

I liked the show a lot. But I did suffer of when is it not appropriate to clap. I wasn't sure. I didn't want to clap at the wrong moment, but I thought it was a well done show and the performers were fantastic in my opinion.

I'm friends with the stage manager of the PT, and we had kind of an interesting discussion about the show.

A lot of what makes a good show vs. a not so good show is how the crowd reacts to it. When the crowd is alive the excitement spreads like the plague and inherently makes more people have fun. A problem that's persistent with Endless Summer (which it in a way succeeded School of Rock) is that people aren't sure how they are supposed to act during the show. When a skater puts on a good performance, it seems as though people want to clap, but are afraid that it's inappropriate.

Obviously you know that I attended the rehearsals to make the update for the site, but I also made a special trip up to the park to see the final product. The biggest thing that I noticed was that people were basically sitting on their hands during the first act of the show. A few people began to clap during the duet part of the camp scene, which opened the flood gates to applaud in the NASCAR scene. After that, it dropped off again. I kind of theorize that people were afraid that their reaction was inappropriate for the show, so when it got "out of hand" everyone stopped.

I noticed a bit about the quality of the audio too, which was something I brought up with the manager. It really wasn't loud enough at the beginning of the show. I sat immediately behind the sound board, and could hear the skates strike the ice during the opening number, which I don't think is appropriate for that style of show. The sound did get much better as the course of the show went on. I'm not sure how that pans out. Oh, and trust me -- the Paramount Theatre... it gets loud... LOUD... and with amazing quality too. The problem isn't with the equipment.

May I ask you what you would have done different for an opener?

Comparing any amusement park show to Broadway, by the way, is really inappropriate. Not that I'm accusing you of doing that really.. Let's be honest, having the "best" show in a seasonal amusement park is like being the tallest midget. I honestly think that there's something really special about KI's entertainment department which makes me keep coming back. I must admit that I saw School of Rock dozens of times... I really couldn't get enough of that show. I'll probably see this show far more than once too. I have nothing but the utter most faith in the entertainment department at our park.

I agree with you in terms of the effects aplause has on a performance...it also translates into better performances from the actors when they know that the crowd is backing them. At the performance I attended I also sat behind the audio board and noticed several occasions where (insert name and position) had to initiate aplause. Perhaps in time it will improve as those who return to see the show again will know what to expect.

I also observed that certain tracks within the mix were of better audio quality then the others...so if that is the cause, it would be nice if they can remix the soundtrack paying more attention that all tracks match the quality of the best track in the mix. And yes a quick remedy for now would be to most definately boost the audio level..that can also translate into the audience getting more involved in the show.

In terms of what I would do differently for the show open...I would probably redo the announce and incorporate a talent that has more resonance and enthusiasm. For me the show didnt really didn't hit its stride untill they danced to what I believe was "Lets get it started". The choreography before that, during the opening, seemed a bit painful to watch and was a bit lack luster as it didn't seem to be that contemporary. But if I were to completely redo the opening I might have each skater open with a jump. Granted you do not want them to show their best stuff in the opening, but something in between would be enough to wet the palets of the audience....and couple that with maybe dramatic fog and lighting as they enter center stage to produce a wow factor.

And no I wasnt comparing this show to broadway shows...that wouldnt be fair. I was just making a point that some of my observations could be a bit nit picky as a result of my exposure.

Having seen the show for the first time yesterday, I must say that it was a worthwhile show, though not a too unique one, having seen the Snoopy ice show a few years ago at Cedar Point. I also should add that the set was uh, OK, and the music, at times, sounded like it was a low-quality WAV or MP3 playing. This was overall, a show I'd see again. There are a couple other shows out now that I'd like to see too, soon.

Well, I know for a fact that they haven't been training that long. I skate locally to KI, and remember an add being posted at the local skating rinks for the local clubs (Queen City, FSCS, South Dayton, Miami University --- sorry if I forgot any others) looking for local skaters who had certain set of skills. Generally they were looking for skaters 18+ years of age who could do double jumps and the more advances spins and footwork (I would say if you are knowledgeable about figure skating those at around an Intermediate to Junior level in Free Style). They were also looking for similiar level in Dance.

These skaters are not "professional" skaters as you think of them. Most of them are not interested in competition and coach locally (I know one of the Skaters was on Miami University Junior Synchro Team while in College or the Collegete team which competed at Junior level; currently coaches for the Learn to Skate and FS Club in Dayton; I think also coaches or assistant coaches one of the Miami Kids Synchro teams; and also does private lessons).

I know the add for the Auditions was in March. I also don't believe that they put in as much "training" as a previous poster mentioned, because I know one of them is teaching lessons several days a week, and that much training is more along the lines of what a Senior level skater going to the Olympics Route does.

They probably practice every day for 1-2 run throughs of the show; prior to the opening of the show and after school let out, they probably practice around 4 hours a day to learn the routine and their parts. I also wouldn't be surprised if there are at least 1-2 alternates in case of injury or illness that would require the skater to be off the ice.

Well, I know for a fact that they haven't been training that long. I skate locally to KI, and remember an add being posted at the local skating rinks for the local clubs (Queen City, FSCS, South Dayton, Miami University --- sorry if I forgot any others) looking for local skaters who had certain set of skills. Generally they were looking for skaters 18+ years of age who could do double jumps and the more advances spins and footwork (I would say if you are knowledgeable about figure skating those at around an Intermediate to Junior level in Free Style). They were also looking for similiar level in Dance.

These skaters are not "professional" skaters as you think of them. Most of them are not interested in competition and coach locally (I know one of the Skaters was on Miami University Junior Synchro Team while in College or the Collegete team which competed at Junior level; currently coaches for the Learn to Skate and FS Club in Dayton; I think also coaches or assistant coaches one of the Miami Kids Synchro teams; and also does private lessons).

I know the add for the Auditions was in March. I also don't believe that they put in as much "training" as a previous poster mentioned, because I know one of them is teaching lessons several days a week, and that much training is more along the lines of what a Senior level skater going to the Olympics Route does.

They probably practice every day for 1-2 run throughs of the show; prior to the opening of the show and after school let out, they probably practice around 4 hours a day to learn the routine and their parts. I also wouldn't be surprised if there are at least 1-2 alternates in case of injury or illness that would require the skater to be off the ice.

Most skaters are in fact professionals. Although there were ads at local rinks, and the try outs were at Sports Plus in Evendale, it doesn't mean that they just took any person from the area. In fact, only one or two are local. Most skaters were on tour when the opportunity arose, which is a big reason why the show started as late as it did. A lot of them did things such as nightly shows on cruises and things of that sort. Kevin Brunck did a wonderful job of melding talent from around the country to make this wonderful show.

As far as practicing goes, they were on the ice from 1 to 9 daily for about two weeks before open. There are no understudies. The photos in our update were from their rehearsals and was 100% of the cast. If someone gets hurt, they just have to improvise.

The ice quality at the Paramount Theatre isn't anywhere near what you would have at a rink, however the performers seem to agree that it's better quality than most show venues have. As a result of that, it makes all of their difficult moves even more difficult.

The skate captain (I want to say his name is Michael) is the male solo performer for two different segments, and equates the difficulty of his segments to what he would do for competitions. Imagine doing that five times a day, six days a week...

Does being a coach make you a non-professional skater? The ice is a totally different world than the "field" per se. I worked for the Cincinnati Jr. Cyclones last year, and all three coaches played professionally (Don Biggs - Cyclones, Danny Lorenz - Cyclones, JR Short - Jacksonville). That's the rule rather than the exception in hockey and skating. It's not like high school football or baseball.

You're probably right about them doing 1-2 run throughs daily when they rehearsed. That's because they did a lot of "stop-start" run throughs in which if something went wrong, they'd redo the scene. When Dane and I went to the rehearsal, we saw a total of one run through, but saw each scene two or three times. That was over the course of about three hours.

I'm not trying to attack anyone, but I'm under the assumption that most people have no idea how much pressure the cast and crew are under. The lights are all 100% automated. That leaves exactly zero margin for error with the set changes. As stated before, there really aren't understudies, so each performer needs to be in absolute top condition. Oh, and I don't want to leave out those poor ushers who have to blow up 150 balloons for the balloon drop...each and every show.

My advice -- just go check out the show and enjoy it. Not everything has to be dissected.

Ryan

Saw the show this evening for the first time. It was a very good show. Good music they skate too as well. The Skaters are all very good. I would definitely suggest seeing this show. I may even see it again myself. Next time I plan on seeing the 60's show.

Guest kwindshawne

I am not a "shows" type of person, but this one was excellent! Quite a lot of talent wrapped up in that production...kudos!!

The show was good, but I liked School of Rock better. However this show is more geared more toward families. The skaters had some impressive moves, and the first scene was very exciting and upbeat. What made the show even better was the fact that the theater was nice and cool, especially with the ice, making it a great place to cool down on a hot day. My overall rating would be 7/10 (3.5/5).