Everything posted by hotrodyoda
-
Orion Construction Photos
I doubt that KI is running the actual wheels that the ride will normally use. Usually testing happens on harder, nylon wheels before switching them out for softer wheels with a higher rolling resistance.
-
Orion Nickname Discussion
Still am a big fan of OTR. They're wonderful human-beings and even better songwriters. But, Orion is short enough of a name. No Nickname required.
-
Orion Construction Photos
I think the irony was missed of that quote consistently being misattributed to Franklin, and using it in this discussion as such. I used it in jest. However, if someone wants to point a camera at KI, cool, whatever. If no one does, cool, whatever. I cannot think of something that matters any less than if some one does, or doesn't do that. Edit/Addition: As far as getting back on topic, I'm all for that. But this thread is literally titled, "Orion Construction Photos." And since the park is very selectively releasing multimedia for us to consume (which is fine, they're allowed to operate as such), we're left with discussing providing our own material.
-
Vortex Removal Updates
I could see the turn of the first hill coming down this afternoon and then the second hill/turn all being pulled inwards on itself pretty quickly over the next day or two.
-
Vortex Removal Updates
Exit of the turn into the double loops has come down. Not too much left
-
Vortex Removal Updates
Down went the top of the lift.
-
Vortex Removal Updates
Ugh. No bueno. I had a dream last night I somehow arrived at the park for the last of the demolition. It was a bitter sweet dream.
-
Vortex Removal Updates
It's still there, the sun is just directly behind the structure and flooding the lens with light.
-
Vortex Removal Updates
You can see the sections definitively in the WeatherBug cam right now.
-
Son of Beast
I was insanely lucky to be at the media day for Son of Beast. I was in 6th grade, an ACE member, and was a winner of the local ACE 'contest' to be invited... and my school happened to be closed that day. As other people have mentioned, the first few rides were truly something else. As much as I loved that ride, including all of it's issues, I'm glad that it's time came to and end before the era of RMC's. Kings Island has a brilliant line up. Just about every coaster that's come and gone from KI has had a fairly profound impact on the entire amusement park industry. It would be insanely interesting to see a RMC Son of Beast, but I think becoming part of folklore with The Bat, King Cobra, Vortex, & Firehawk (phantom theater... etc.) is so much better.
-
Locals concerned that Kings Island is violating noise ordinances
Maybe they'll put a roof over the first drop like Ghost Rider to help with noise. /s
-
What happened to the Tomb Raider ride?
My understanding was that they got all of those problems worked out and that it was closed due to a shift in the parks vision? But, wudda I know...
-
Vortex Removal Updates
Hard to see, but there's a crane up next to the 2nd hill.
-
What happened to the Tomb Raider ride?
It's always semi-annoyed me that the didn't just end up moving the Giant Top Spin to a different part of the park. Action Zone? Most people wouldn't care, and it'd look great next to Delirium.
-
Remembering King Cobra
Not that I'm being accused of this, but want to be clear: I wasn't ridiculing KI for making the decision to remove the King Cobra. It was the right call. But I'm still sad it's no longer there.
-
Remembering King Cobra
KC WAS a classic; an amazing stand up. Fantastic airtime, great intensity, and tons of "holy sh!t" moments. It was a much better ride than Delirium & SlingShot combined. But, sadly, "end of service life....."
-
Vortex Removal Updates
Well, hot dog.
-
Vortex Removal Updates
-
Orion Construction Photos
This argument was literally started because some one linked a video that was found on YouTube. If you want to discuss the inherent dangers of paragliding, then take that to a paragliding sub. No one here is rushing out to paraglide over KI for the sake of getting their own video. Also, the inherent danger of paragliding applies to the act itself, not the fact if it's done over an amusement park or not. It's a false equivalency, and again, irrelevant to our ability to talk about Kings Island. As others have stated, KI's policy is a policy. It's not an enforceable law. They don't own the airspace. Yes, it's important to respect their policies and wishes as fans of the park. In fact, I believe as enthusiasts it's imperative that we exhibit good behavior and try to show leadership in park etiquette. As far as posting the video on this site, who cares? There's basically zero chance that someone finds the video aforementioned through KICentral, gets the idea to go try it themselves, and injures themselves or others in doing so. That's not how someone picks up a new (and very expensive) hobby.
-
Orion Construction Photos
I apologize that my IDGAF sarcasm was not clear and obvious. Trying to shut down what is ultimately a pointless argument.
-
Orion Construction Photos
I flew over the park in a Cessna for a contest I won through the Middletown Journal back in 2001. Should I burn my photos?
-
Orion Construction Photos
So, am I understanding this correctly... they're making FOF's queue longer? Does it really ever fill up anymore? I live 5 hrs away now, but every time I've been to the park in the past 8 years, it's never even close to utilizing it all.
-
Orion Construction Photos
So.... whats everyone doing today?
-
Orion Construction Photos
.....But that's just the ride rendering?
-
Orion Construction Photos
Their coffee just hit.