Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Kings Island Central Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

coasterrz

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by coasterrz

  1. During the past Winterfests, they decorated the Eiffel Tower like a large Christmas tree by using Christmas lights. At the top they had a large star.
  2. In the survey, some of the rides they asked about included The Beast. While this was the only coaster on the list, I was surprised they included it on the list, seeing as how it would be bone chilling cold and The Beast speeds through the wood. The only other major ride listed was Delirium. I don`t think staffing would be that big of a deal for Tomb Raider to be open since I believe they would have the train open for a train ride through the decorated woods. I hope that it does debut in 2004. But if not, oh well. The survey was quite interesting. Does any one know the exact reason why they stopped it? I heard they stopped it because they extended the regular season and didn`t have enough time to prepare for Winterfest.
  3. Paramount bought Kings Entertainment Company (KECO) and Kings Island from American Financial, which is owned by business man Carl Lindner. Paramount bought the parks for $200 million on July 31, 1992. All the parks were then rechristined with the Paramount moniker for the next (1993) season. The Top Gun rides at Kings Island and Great America were already in the planning stages before Paramount purchased the parks, so they just added the Top Gun name. I probably included too much information.
  4. The Paramount Parks research website is www.thrillresearch.com In the survey, they had an old brochure from Winterfest. That year the Carousel, Antique Cars, KI & MV Railroad, Hanna Barbera Carousel and the Dodgems were open. However, if they were to hold it again, I would imagine they would have Scooby Doo and the Huanted Castle, Tomb Raider: The Ride, the Paramount FX Theater and Flight of Fear open as they are inclosed and I would assume they have heat. (I know the Paramount FX Theater has heat from a bitter cold preview day in 2001) I hope they decide to bring it back for 2004!
  5. I took the survey too. It did say that it could be 2004 or 2005 or not at all that it comes back. They asked what I thought were reasonable prices to charge. Also, they asked what rides should be open. (The Beast and Delirium were two of the options). One thing it did ask a lot about was a 90 minute professional Holiday show. The survey also asked about 16 different scenarios with admission prices to see how willing people would be to pay. I found it interesting that some of the scenarios had as many as 75% of the ride being open. I hope Winterfest does come back as it would be a big cure to the off season blues and an opportunity to see PKI in the winter again.
  6. I know they have to replace water as some evaporates, and if a little kid goes to the bathroom in it. However, I do find it odd that they would need 500,000 gallons a day. I thought they used filtration systems on most of their water slides so they didn`t have to pump in new water everyday. Unless what they have planned can`t use a filtration system.
  7. I was also at the park today. I was there primarily because my uncle bribed me and my Dad into volunteering to work at one of the food stands to raise money for his cubscout pack (we`ll each get four tickets for next season too!). Since we didn`t have to report until 12, I got up there early. The ACE walkback went to The Beast. There were about 10 ACErs there. Our first ride departed at 5 till ten. Upon arrival back in the station, we were told we could switch seats and ride again. Jeff Siebert had arrived at The Beast as well. After four straight rides in a row, we opted not to stay on for a fifth ride. By 11:10, we had riden Flight of Fear, Vortex and Delirium. We purchased our 2004 season passes and then went to the group volunteer check in. We spent the day dishing out subs at Subway. After we got off at 7, we proceeded to get our 2004 passes processed in the Parmount Theater. We hoped on Face Off (there was no line for this ride at all). The skys were getting darker, and we tried to ride Drop Zone and Delirium, but a storm was moving in and they were closed. By the time we arrived at our car, we were soaked. A fun day, even though I spent most of it working at Subway.
  8. Fear Fest is being changed for this season. Unlike the past three years, it will not be held on Fridays. Instead, it will be held on Sturdays and Sundays. I also believe that Fear Fest admission will be included with park admission. As a result, the park will not be closing at 7 in October as they did last year. Instead on Saturdays, they`ll close at midnight and on Sundays they`ll close at 10. It is my understanding that most of the haunted attractions will open when night falls on the park.
  9. This year Coney installed the Frog Hopper, made by S&S Power. The ride is primarily a children`s ride (Guests must be 36" to ride and no older than 13 years old. An adult may accompany a child by sitting in the middle seat). From what I`ve heard, is they have had people surveying land and they are looking into possible additions such as a log flume and a viking ship. However, I`ve also heard that those additions might not occur for next season. CoasterRZ, Coney Island ride operator
  10. Actually, italianchef, Kenton`s Cove Keelboat Canal was built in 1973 for Kings Island. However, the Kings Mills Log Flume, now the Wild Thornberrys River Adventure was built for Coney Island in 1968. Both flume rides were designed and built by Arrow Development, which became Arrow Dynamics.
  11. There is a book by Charles Jaques Jr., (the same guy who will be writing a PKI history book), which has pictures I believe of the log Flume at Coney. Also, Coney wouldn`t take away from Riverbend seating. There is quite a lot of space behind the Dodgems and Tilt a Whirl to build some more rides. However, I don`t see them adding a wooden coaster. The log flume, and other rides that I heard were possibilites to be built (a viking ship, a mini Drop Zone, and another small steel coaster) wouldn`t be built necesarily for next season.
  12. From pictures that I`ve seen, the log Flume was located by the Shooting Star. The turnaround, when your the farthest away from the station, where the Snake is on the ride today, was located near the helix finale of the Shooting Star. Coincidently, I`ve heard rumors that Coney Island is looking into possibly adding a log flume, among other possibilities.
  13. As stated above, the name of the park emphasizes its location near Kings Mills and its original ties to Coney Island. Back when Taft Broadcasting was planning KI, they held a competition for Cincinnatians to come up with a name for the new park. They choose Kings Island. The name of the lady that thought of that name escapes me now, but I seem to remember that she was present for the 25 anniversary celebration? Shaggy might know more.
  14. coasterrz replied to theultimatefan's topic in Trip Reports
    The exit gate on Face Off is not like the rest of the exit gates on coasters in the park. Face Off`s exit gate is an automated gate similar to the gate on the queue side of the station, and unless that was left opened, I don`t know how any one could get in without jumping the fence.
  15. coasterrz replied to kossman's topic in Kings Island
    Actually Dragon Lord, correct me if I`m wrong, but in your first link, isn`t the yellow property line cutting through half of PKI`s parking lot? Or am I just looking at the picture wrong? Are you talking about George, the old gray haired guy who works on the Eiffel Tower? George is a funny guy. He used to work on the train last season or in 2001. The time I rode when he was giving his "story" with all sorts of puns and jokes was the time I had the most fun on the train since they took out the figures.
  16. coasterrz replied to kossman's topic in Kings Island
    I believe that PKI owns about 750 acres. They originally owned 1600 acres, but sold all but the 750. The current park is about 364 acres.
  17. If they don`t get a coaster next year, so what? They already have a large collection of coasters to enjoy. They also have added some awesome flat rides in the past two seasons. PKI doesn`t build just roller coasters. I don`t understand why you aren`t renewing your pass just because they aren`t adding a new coaster next year. True, it would be nice to have a new coaster next year. But would you rather wait a year to get a better coaster, then get one next year and it be only a mediocre ride? I`m sure that PKI knows when they`re going to install a new coaster. Until then, they will continue to add attractions that the public thoroughly enjoys, like this year`s additions.
  18. It is my understanding that the Eiffel Tower originally stood 331' and 6". However, the antenna on top of the tower was removed in the late 80`s or early 90`s. The Eiffel Tower at PKD still has that antenna. The current height of PKI`s Eiffel Tower, according to the spiel the elevator operators give is 314'. Back in 1998, they did have a banner hanging on the top of the Eiffel Tower saying "Drop this far in `99."
  19. I know for a fact that sometimes the higher ups walk around the park. Earlier this year while riding Delirium, I saw Craig Ross, PKI`s general manager. Also, I work at Coney as a ride operator. It is not uncommon for the President of Coney to be seen telling people to tuck in their shirts.
  20. I think that those season pass prices listed on their website are still the marked up prices for 2003 season passes. I don`t think that they`ve updated their website with 2004 pass prices, because as stated in earlier posts, 2004 passes don`t go on sale until August 4.
  21. It is my understanding that FearFest will occur on Saturdays and Sundays this year, gone is FearFest on Fridays. Also, the park won`t be open till 1 am anymore. Saturdays in October, the park will be open until midnight and Sundays the park will be open until 10. In the Gold Pass Perk Calendar, it said that FearFest was included in park admission, so I don`t know if that includes non-pass holders as well. I for one am glad that the park will be staying open to pass holders later than 7 on weekends in October like in past years.
  22. If memory serves correct from the article, he said that future food additions would be planned with/for future attractions. I`m sure if they brought back the International Restaurant it would be popular, and offer an excellent and now rare view of International Street.
  23. While on this topic of PKI food, don`t forget that PKI now has an executive chef, who was hired last fall. In a Cincinnati Enquirer article that appeared in the spring, David Zellner (I believe that is his name) said that the park`s long term plans include adding a sit-down resteraunt.
  24. I vaguely remember it. I think it was called "Game On" or something like that. Participants for the show would be chosen from the audience. I also think they would give random "prizes" out to people in the audience. The "prizes" were things like a free ball at a beach basket stand or a free ring at a ring toss stand.
  25. Actually, there was a change made to The Beast for the 1980 season. Originally, there were two underground tunnels after the brake shed and before the second lift. However, for the 1980 season, a wooden tunnel was added between the two tunnels combing them. Also, the double helix wasn`t originally enclosed in a tunnel. Originally, it had a roof, but there were no walls on it as there are today. In some old pictures, you can see the un-enclosed helix.
Background Picker

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.