Take a Ride Out

Neon

Dare I say it....after the accident, as modified, the ride was excruciatingly boring.

Before the accident, it was mildly amusing, but certainly not more than that. I'd put it about the same thrill category as a Chance Aviator:

http://www.flatrides.com/Ride%20Index/ChanceAviator1.jpg

Kings Dominion's Chance Aviator is now known as a kids ride, Nickelodeon Space Surfer.

That is the exact same thing as Aileron on roller coaster tycoon 3!!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends,

A smooth B&M standup or a rough TOGO stand-up?

Cause This is a good stand-up.

Thats a matter of opinion. King Cobra was great, sky rider at wonderland is also really good. Their slightly modified cousin at King's Dominion is not the smoothest ride. Vortex at Carowinds is smooth, yet pretty boring, while B&M stand ups like Chang and Mantis are horrid.

^Iron wolf was B&M's first coaster, what do you expect?

If I am a park owner investing quite a good deal of money in a new product such as B&M's new (at the time) stand up coaster, I'm expecting it to be a good product that will draw guests and keep them coming back, guests don't do that for a ride with a rough, crappy reputation just as B&M did not go around at the time saying "Hey we got a cool new design, but its our first so EXPECT it to be bad". You have a lot to learn.

Intamin Stand ups I've never heared of

Enter Shockwave, located at Drayton Manor Park in the UK. It's one of a very few stand-up coasters made by Intamin (the other ones being a single-inversion model which traveled around to various Six Flags parks, and is currently in storage at Darien Lake; the last model is similar to the SF one, but not a twin, originally in Sweden but now operating at La Ronde in Montreal). Also of interest, its the only stand-up coaster with an in-line twist (in Shockwave's case, in the form of a zero-G roll).

http://www.rcdb.com/id814.htm

And regarding my earlier comment, I personally think that stand-up coasters have declined in popularity recently due to the various other types of coasters that tend to give more comfortable and intense rides. Stand-ups, due mainly to the configuration of the seats, are somewhat limited in the types of elements and layouts they can utilize. For many different people, myself included, stand-up coasters have the possibility to "beat up" its riders, either in the areas where the seat is, and/or in the head, due to headbanging. Personally, I think the headbanging is caused by the distance the riders' heads are located relative to the track. On other coasters where the riders are seated, their heads are closer to the track itself, which makes it easier to orient the track elements to reduce the amount of side-to-side movement experienced by the head. On stand-up coasters, since the heads are farther away from the track, it makes it relatively harder to configure the elements in such a way that rider's heads will not be thrown from side to side. I've noticed this considerably on Mantis, with the difference in ride experience between the middle seats and the end seats.

If that doesn't make any sense, let me know and I'll try to re-word it in a clearer way. :lol:

Intamin Standup - :wacko:

Have you ever been on an Intamin Stand-Up coaster? If not how can you be sure they are bad rides (which I'm assuming you are saying by the smiley used in your post)? I believe this brings something up, about talking about certain topics as if you know all about them, when you really don't.

Personally, I haven't been on an Intamin Stand-Up coaster, but I'd love to give one a shot to see how they ride compared to the B&M version. And since I have yet to ride one, I won't make any conclusions about them, saying they are good or bad, until I get a chance to try it out for myself. ;)

I'm sure the intamin standup's are great rides.

I've been on about 7 B&M standups and honestly, I dont care for any of them. I've also been on 2 B&M hypers, 1 sit down,4 floorless, and 8 B&M inverted coasters and I cannot imagine a park now wanting to build a standup B&M when they could have any of the other 4.

B&M Standup coasters are very intense. The force distribution in a standup is much different to that of one where you sit down. Personally I could do without all of them, the Vortexes, iron wolf, chang, mantis... I do not believe that the future has B&M stand up coasters in it.

I unfortunatly never got the chance to ride King Cobra, or any other standup.

I put a :wacko: next to Intamin because it didn't sound right to me. But I was mistaken, there are some Intamin standups.

I do believe, though, that a floorless B&M would be a better choice.

^(With the backround of riding Dominator @ GL)^