Could Son of Beast Accident Been Avoided?

coaster_junky

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think SOB needs three trains, on Friday about half of the line left.. and the ride didn't break or anything, just small trains. They could have a train in the station, mid-course breaks, and the block breaks right before the station. The lines would move alot faster and that means more rides on SOB for me!

Well if the decision to modify the blocking and modify a third train is made, it is quite apparent that CF believes SoB to be a viable ride worth spending more money on.

Even though I feel SoB is a terrible ride, props to CF for doing what it took to keep the ride functioning.

After all how could some thing like this happen if you have a world class wood coaster maintenance crew (and I do mean that) and a world class design teem.

There is an old saying:

Take a piece of crap.

Polish it up nice and shiney.

What do you have in the end?

A piece of crap.

Maintenance could not have found the issues with SoB. Unless they were expected to a test on each verticle support everyday, which would have made the ride stay SBNO more than it already has.

Now here is my full post. which basically states that the only way to prevent or predict an accident like this is in hind sight. I do not get the connection to your opinion of SOB, and my comments agree with the last part of your statement. If your going to break up some ones comments, then read the whole thing first.

"Well the simple answer that one would give right after the accident happened would be no. After all how could some thing like this happen if you have a world class wood coaster maintenance crew (and I do mean that) and a world class design teem. In hind sight, the answer is yes, how could the cause be over looked. Well I go for the first answer, no. After all, we all know that hind sight is 20/20 that is why no one wears glasses on there a**. (Well unless your nick name is a** face and you wear glasses). I think the mechanical creed is very appropriate here: If it is mechanical and has moving parts of any kind, it WILL fail. The goal is to prevent it from doing so. You may not know how or where or when, but that is all calculated in a learning curve."

CF has a nack for slowly deteriorating a ride before removing it. If CF DOES help the SOB get on it's feet (paws), CF obviously likes SOB. If SOB's days ARE numbered, there will be signs. It will not be a surprise. When the season before it's removed arrives, we will be beging CF to trash it! That is why rides like Head Spin and Villain were terrible rides this year!

Sigh SOB was a POS when it was built because simply put you can't build & maintain a hyper woodie no matter how thorough the design.Wasn't RCCA sued over the problems with the ride & basically put out of business as a result?IIRC SFFT backed out of a wooden coaster deal with RCCA due in part to SOB back in 2000 & got Road Runner express instead.

Sigh SOB was a POS when it was built because simply put you can't build & maintain a hyper woodie no matter how thorough the design.Wasn't RCCA sued over the problems with the ride & basically put out of business as a result?IIRC SFFT backed out of a wooden coaster deal with RCCA due in part to SOB back in 2000 & got Road Runner express instead.

Simply put: Yes you can.

http://www.rcdb.com/id988.htm

This one seems to run o.k. without many maintenance issues, and don't tell me it is not a hyper woody because it is under 200ft. The ride is not that much different from SOB, as a matter of fact, SOB has a little smoother ride in the back in my opinion. The only major difference is it is an out and back and not a cluster of turns.

I think SOB needs three trains, on Friday about half of the line left.. and the ride didn't break or anything, just small trains. They could have a train in the station, mid-course breaks, and the block breaks right before the station. The lines would move alot faster and that means more rides on SOB for me!

I doubt the park would want to stop people out in the mid course brake that much. Every time there was a disability or any problem in the station, the train would definately set up. That in itself takes so much away from the already boring layout of SOB.

That and Hurricane only had 2 trains. ;)

Sigh SOB was a POS when it was built because simply put you can't build & maintain a hyper woodie no matter how thorough the design.

Considering that the roughest part of the ride is the rosebowl, I really don't see how SoB being a hyper make that much of a difference.

El Toro's drop is only about 40' smaller than SoB's, and it is not even close to being as rough as SoB.

BUT, El Toro's trains have urethane wheels...wheels of the exact same material that was originally specified for Son of Beast's wheels, according to the then PR rep for Kings Island at the time the ride was announced. Would that have made a difference? Of course. See the second bulleted item here:

http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/0205/Byko-0205.html

So why didn't the urethane wheels get used? Was it cost? Was it Premier Rides, the trains' manufacturer not having experience with urethane wheels and not being comfortable with them? Was it durability concerns?

In addition, it appears that the original El Toro trains (still on the ride) aren't much too heavy for the track (as Son of Beast's apparently were). It seems much of Son of Beast's original problems were driven by factors involving the trains, which were selected because of the loop.

Sigh SOB was a POS when it was built because simply put you can't build & maintain a hyper woodie no matter how thorough the design.

Considering that the roughest part of the ride is the rosebowl, I really don't see how SoB being a hyper make that much of a difference.

El Toro's drop is only about 40' smaller than SoB's, and it is not even close to being as rough as SoB.

Being such a large structure SOB is quite a challenge to maintain & the vibrations from the heavier premier trains were literally shaking the ride apart.

At the time, seat belts were not yet a wide spread option for wooden coaster trains. And there were no doubt engineering difficulties with retrofitting them to those Premier trains. Note that to this day, Italian Job does not use seat belts.

that might be true about italian job, but the year that they removed the sixth car from the trains on Son of Beast was in '06 and in '06 all of the wooden coasters at ki exept for Son of Beast had seat belts and so did the wooden rides at Cedar Point. so they were at least a wide spread option in ohio <_<

Being such a large structure SOB is quite a challenge to maintain & the vibrations from the heavier premier trains were literally shaking the ride apart.

Size of the entire structure and the heavy trains have nothing to do with the ride being a hyper.

^ I guess pictures don't do there justice well! :lol:

Yea but the difference is when they were built, if you were driving down the road and saw ride pieces, on Son of Beast you would have seen a pile of wood, on el toro you would have seen pre-assembeled wooden pieces of track. That then begs the question:

What makes a wooden coaster wooden; the material used in building, or the process of assembly?