Coaster Battle #6: Kings Island Mid-Core Coasters

McSalsa

Sorry to those who hated these...but I thought up a good coaster battle. If you dislike, click back.

Kings Island has a lot of great(or not) major mega-thrill coasters (Beast, SOB, Vortex, Flight of Fear, Diamondback, etc.) and those usually get all the attention. But there is another selection of coasters, the mid-core "family thrill coasters". These coasters aren't insanely massive. They don't feature loops. And they don't go crazy fast. But these rides shouldn't be overlooked, in fact, I believe Kings Island may have some of the best mid-core coasters in the entire world.

Which one do you like the most?

PS: I know Racer hits over 60mph, but by modern standards that's not too bad. And I list FOC and Avatar, even though they are billed as kid's rides, they are also labeled as 4/5 intensity on the park map.

Enjoy the poll. If you don't...

:angry:

I will force you to ride Son of Crystal Beach Cyclone. Trust me, you don't want to ride it. It's 300+ feet tall and pulls 25 lateral Gs. And it is wooden. :lol:

Glad to see you are continuing your polls McSalsa! I voted Backlot Stunt Coaster. I know a lot of you guys don't like it, but that is one fun little ride. The only other coaster on that list that I could've voted for is Racer. I am not a big fan of Arrow Suspended Coasters(except Big Bad Wolf :( ) and I don't like Arrow Mine Trains like Adventure Express.

I am gonna have to go with the all time classic, The Racer. The airtime you get when you leave your lap bar up off of your lap is priceless. To me it has some of the best airtime on any coaster out there. I still miss the backward Racer, but I'll take two forwards ones. The back seat is by far the best seat on this ride by the way.

...I will force you to ride Son of Crystal Beach Cyclone. Trust me, you don't want to ride it. It's 300+ feet tall and pulls 25 lateral Gs. And it is wooden. :lol: ...

Promises, promises....

(Does it have strong laterals?)

Terpy, known lateral fan

:lol:

BTW, Son of Crystal Beach Cyclone is crazy rough (think SOB but 100x worse) and has OTSRs.

It also has a nasty habit of flying off the track for no reason and crashing into explosives, which are nearby for some reason...

I would take a pass on it.

^ Uh-Oh I smell a new coaster battle: Son of Crystal Beach Cyclone vs. Son of Beast :lol:

I voted for BLSC. Although many dislike it I think it's alot of fun and really provides a stepping stone to other launched coasters

Since when did people dislike it? I don't dislike it but I do think it could be longer.

^ Uh-Oh I smell a new coaster battle: Son of Crystal Beach Cyclone vs. Son of Beast :lol:

I voted for BLSC. Although many dislike it I think it's alot of fun and really provides a stepping stone to other launched coasters

Since when did people dislike it? I don't dislike it but I do think it could be longer.

^I happen to like BLSC for many reasons, one main one being that the launch is actually pretty intense for a junior coaster. The helix also makes me almost black out at some points. I wish they would keep up the theming on it though.

I agree with that review and when I said some people don't like BLSC I didn't mean everyone.

If you read through some other threads on here, there are actually a lot of people who dislike BLSC. I don't know if it's just bitterness because it "ruins the atmosphere" or what, but I don't see how anybody could actually dislike that ride. I find it very fun.

I think that guest satisfaction on BLSC would shoot through the roof if they cut the line at like, fifteen minutes... I'd have some complaints, too, if I waited 30+ minutes for the thing like so many do. <_< It truly is one of my favorite Kings Island coasters, especially at night, but I wouldn't wait more than 15 minutes for it. I can imagine getting off with a few complaints after waiting even a half hour. A fun ride, but I feel it should have a giant fun-looking sign out front that says "A FAMILY ADVENTURE" or something... The flames are what draw people in and wrack up the long lines which, even as one of my favorite coasters, it doesn't deserve.

I am gonna have to go with the all time classic, The Racer. The airtime you get when you leave your lap bar up off of your lap is priceless. To me it has some of the best airtime on any coaster out there. I still miss the backward Racer, but I'll take two forwards ones. The back seat is by far the best seat on this ride by the way.

I couldn't agree with you more. Racer is in my top 3 favorites at KI for the exact same reasons you mentioned.

So this comes down to Racer and Flight Deck for me and is so hard to choose because they are such different rides.

Finally chose to go with Racer: Wooden, Longer, Airtime, History, Better Location

Still love Flight Deck as well, am learning to enjoy BLSC more, enjoy FOC, not a fan of AE, don't consider Avatar to be a Coaster.

At least, that is my opinion as of 11:30ish Today - subject to change as fast as I change favorite seats on Diamondback.

I voted Racer, but it was a really close race with BLSC. I agree with Jasper in that the launch and helices on BLSC are what really makes it an enjoyable ride. But what kills it for me is the fact that you come to a complete stop midway through the ride. I know it's for a good reason, and I like the pyrotechnics (Not a fan of the annoying chopper) but I would prefer to not stop until the end of the ride. That's what gives Racer the edge in this poll, in my opinion.

For me, my favorite rides would be BLSC and Flight Deck. But I count these out and replace them with Racer because of their length! Especially Flight Deck. But it is still very fun. And BLSC - I can never get enough of that launch, but I wish there was more to it. Last but not least - my favorite mid-core coaster, Racer. Very long, plenty of speed, plenty of fun. :lol: