Why not split Oktoberfest?

italianchef

Here's an idea . Why not SPLIT OKTOBERFEST between International Street and Paramount Action Zone?

The Festhaus and Viking Fury are right next to International Street and would enhance the "international" flair of International Street. Additionally, the Remote Control Boats & Cars, the Age & Weight Game Guessing Game, Airbrushed Shirts, and Woodworks can all be annexed by International Street as they too are next to it.

Bubba Gump Shrimp Shack is VERY close to Paramout's Action Zone and is themed after a Paramount movie - it'd be at home in Paramount Action Zone. And Adventure Express, Sling Shot, and Kareoske would also fit nicely in Paramount Action Zone.

And since Jumpin Jack Splash and Cyber says are right next to Coney Mall - they ought to be annexed by it.

In my opinion, with only one German attraction left (Festhaus), Oktoberfest is no longer necessary as a separate area and should be divided the way I suggested.

And while we're talking international.........Festhaus should offer German beer, metts, brats, and cole slaw.

Have a groovy day,

Italian Chef

Edited by italianchef

I vaguely remember it. I think it was called "Game On" or something like that. Participants for the show would be chosen from the audience. I also think they would give random "prizes" out to people in the audience. The "prizes" were things like a free ball at a beach basket stand or a free ring at a ring toss stand.

Yes, I vaguely remember Game-On.... and I say vaguely because we would enter Festaus and watch the first few minutes of the show and think maybe it was the preshow before a big show.... then when we figured out that was it, we left. Game on was what they had in the Festaus the year following the removal of the Ice Show. The removal of the Ice Show from the Festaus was one of the biggest mistakes Paramount made, in my opinion.

As for bringing back German food to Festaus (or anywhere in Oktoberfest)... it seems that Kings Island used to offer a variety of different kinds of food, as well as different types of eating establishments. Just think of the elimination of the International Restaurant over the entrance to the park. For a while, Paramount has been eliminating their diverse food selections and replacing them with the standard fair. I guess the logic was "Our hamburger and pizza joints sell more food than the other locations in the park. Therefore if we replace all our restaurants with hamburger and pizza joints, then we'll sell more food and make more money." They are starting to offer some more diverse fair now with the Chinese restaurnat and Bubba Gump's so maybe they are seeing that it is good business sense to offer something for everyone rather than just catering to the lowest common denominator. However, I wouldn't count on getting a steak or lobster at a re-opened International Restaurant or getting any of that yummy German potato salad that used to serve anytime soon.

Cris

well i think that the festhaus should servce some german foods. i mean, it IS a german name in the german part of the park so it should have something to do with germany. now i think they should continue to sell pizza and everything else there but also add brats and other crap to give more of a choice.

I see plenty of teens eating metts and brats at Oktoberfest and Maifest celebrations in Covington & Cincinnati. Don't forget that Mason is in an area with a large German-American population and metts aren't all that different from hot dogs.

Does anyone remember the fully interactive game show that they had there right before QTV (or whatever it is now) took over?

I remember the show but I don't know too much about it. What I do remember though was that some of the tables had flags and that had to do something with the show. Maybe someone else knows more and can help.

Edited by mars1825

well i think that the festhaus should servce some german foods. i mean, it IS a german name in the german part of the park so it should have something to do with germany. now i think they should continue to sell pizza and everything else there but also add brats and other crap to give more of a choice.

I agree with you 100%!

Great Idea Chef....i think PKI should do something with Oktoberfest like fix it up...i hate Action Zone with a great passion...i only hang out in Oktoberfest..HBLand..NickCenter..and RiverTown...ConeyMall..so i think PKI should Fix Up Oktoberfest...and Coney mall! smile.gif

Oktoberfest gardens was the German theme name for the building. They changed the name to Festhaus when they stop selling metts and brats at Oktoberfest.

Actually Bubba Gump's Shrimp Shack used to be Octoberfest Gardens. Festhaus was always Festhaus.

Edited by mars1825

>>>Oktoberfest gardens was the German theme name for the building. They changed the name to Festhaus when they stop selling metts and brats at Oktoberfest.<<<

Mars1825 is right. Bubba Gumps was previously Oktoberfest Gardens. Prior to that it was called Der Biergarten. I'm not sure when the name changedto Oktoberfest Garden, but I checked a 92 brochure and it was still Der Biergarten in 92. Also, in the 92 brochure, it mentioned in addition to the German fare, that there was a LaRosa's counter open

Festaus has always been called Festaus. Also, in the 92 brochure, it mentioned in addition to the German fare, that there was a LaRosa's counter open in the Festaus, as well as an Italian counter that served chicken parmagian and the like. So it was not only German food.

Cris

Edited by Crispy1979

The whole reason Festaus was built was to house an ice rink. It extended the length of the Festaus building and was surrounded on three sides by the tables that are in the building now. I would say at least 70% of the current seating area used to be the ice rink. The skating platform was raised like a stage. In essence, Festaus was a dinner theatre.

The fourth side of the skating platform (the back) lead to the backstage area where the performers came on and off stage. There was also a backdrop, proscenium arch, and curtain there just like in a regular theatre. Lighting and spotlights were provided from the catwalk above. The doors in the rear of Festaus were not there and the only way to enter the building was through the front doors. Families would get there very early and stake out their seats, and get their food. The lights would go out for the show, so you would be watching/eating in darkness.

The show was a large scale production and included a large cast of probably 20+ skaters, half male and half female. Not only would they do the normal pair and solo skating that you see on TV, but large production numbers making formations on the ice. Every year had a different theme. One year every segment of the show followed a Broadway musical with the closer of the show being Phantom of the Opera. Another year, each segment of the show represented a decade, starting with the 1940's and ending with the 90's. Another year, the show was themed to a history of cinema starting with a Buzby Burkley number. The last few years they did a flying effect in the show with the performers on wires and dressed in glowing costumes illuminated by black light.

The very last year of the ice show in the Festaus was 94 when Paramount had just bought the park and the individual numbers were themed to Paramount movies. The following year, they moved the show to the Paramount Theatre. However, the show was really bad in this location. The skaters could no longer make formations on the stage as there was not enough room to skate. The skaters could also not perform the large jumps and were practically skating in place. Also, because of the small stage and the new venue, the cast was reduced from 20+ skaters to only about 6 skaters.

I guess the best way to put it might be like this... Think of going to a theatre where you can buy popcorn and concessions and sit down and watch a play or musical. Now imagine if the owners of the theatre decided to not to show plays or musicals anymore, but still keep the concessions open. They eventually remove the stage, and you are left with a big empty building where people can come in, buy their concessions and sit down and eat. That's pretty much the story of Festaus.

Cris

Edited by Crispy1979

While on this topic of PKI food, don`t forget that PKI now has an executive chef, who was hired last fall. In a Cincinnati Enquirer article that appeared in the spring, David Zellner (I believe that is his name) said that the park`s long term plans include adding a sit-down resteraunt.

>>David Zellner (I believe that is his name) said that the park`s long term plans include adding a sit-down resteraunt. <<

Hmm, do you think this would mean using the space where the International Restaurant (over the entrance to the park) used to be? Or building a new location?

If memory serves correct from the article, he said that future food additions would be planned with/for future attractions. I`m sure if they brought back the International Restaurant it would be popular, and offer an excellent and now rare view of International Street.

ADA went into effect in 1990 and the International Restaurant operated well after that. Also, the space has been available the past several years for rent and for use for private parties, conferences, and catered events. If the restaurant had been closed because of ADA, then the space couldn't have been available for private parties. So it is not as if the restaurant was suddenly shut down because it did not comply with ADA. The site has been in use after ADA went into effect in 1990.

Cris