Man things have changed!

DargonZetaQuell

Hey I'm new, and I haven't been to PKI in ten years. I last visited when Top Gun was the new ride so I'm kind of out of the know about the park. I got a couple of questions...

1. Does Beastie still have rolling stock? It was my first ever coaster and I wouldn't mind riding it for nostalgia.

2. What was the name of that tree that opened up and they would have puppet shows in and does it still exist?

3. How's the theming on Adventure Express holding up? I heard that it's been restored really well.

Thanks!

1. Yes, i believe Beastie does have rolling stock still.

2. I've never heard of a puppet tree

3. LOL!!!!!!!!Adventure Express, in good condition!?

sadly it's still in a state of disrepair, they don't even turn 1/4 of the lights on anymore

Hi!

Here are some answers:

1. By rolling stock, I assume you mean the two-seater, bench PTC junior trains. Yes, it does. These still operate with single buzz bars, but have had an additional seat-belt added. The coaster no longer operates with skid brakes, rather uses fins and is trimmed quite heavily (and unnecessarily) on some of it's turns. It has retained two-train operation, but has had a bunny hop removed from the area just prior to the final brake run. Finally, the most notable difference you will notice is that the coaster is now a bright shade of purple, as opposed to the former bright green color you may recall.

2. The Puppet Tree. Unfortunately, the puppet tree was removed sometime back when HB was remodeled. It's former location is now occupied by the likes of Scooby's Ghoster Coaster and a basketball toss game.

3. The themeing on Adventure Express is actually better than it has been in years. The soundtrack is in place, and the animatronics in the finnal tunnel are all operational. However many original effects have long since bit the dust.... Those include: The shroud of mist effect prior to tunnel #1 is no longer in use. The 50 foot snake no longer hisses in tunnel #1. The spears no longer jet from the walls of tunnel #2. The volcano effect in tunnel #3 (The volcano tunnel) is now reduced to simple red lighting. The "lava" (water) no longer pours or drips from the Aztec statue at the end of tunnel #4, at the top of the final lift.

Most of the "quick" effects bit the dust and were not replaced simply because guests hardly noticed them. Occasionally a spear will still jut out of the wall in tunnel #2, but that is a rarity. The mist curtain lasted until about 3 or 4 years ago. However the rusting of the track in that area required that it be replaced (Adventure Express Track was replaced/repaired in 1999. I visited the park in the off season prior and the new track was stored in the parking lot.) and the effect never again returned as preventive maintenance.

None-the-less, AE, is still a GREAT ride and is just as fun. However now, it runs remarkably close to the first drop of SOB and fairly close to the drum of FOF. The days of it being shrouded by dense trees and forest are gone. And of course the Safari Monerail (that ran through the middle of the AE layout) is long removed too.

Enjoy your trip there.... PKI has changed A LOT in 10 years. You'll hardly recognize the area that used to be "Wild Animal Habitat" or "Adventure Village" as well as HB Land and what is now Nick Central.

Shaggy

Thanks for all the help you guys, I'm now really excited about going in August! I have another question though, although I doubt it exists I seem to remember a restaurant near HBL that was similar in style to the Ponderosa restaurants where you would grab a tray and get your drink and then pull it along the counter and tell them what you wanted. Does this restaurant still exist and if so what is it's name? I know I'm being horribly vague so if nobody can answer this it's no big deal. biggrin.gif

I have another question though, although I doubt it exists I seem to remember a restaurant near HBL that was similar in style to the Ponderosa restaurants where you would grab a tray and get your drink and then pull it along the counter and tell them what you wanted. Does this restaurant still exist and if so what is it's name? I know I'm being horribly vague so if nobody can answer this it's no big deal. biggrin.gif

I think you're talking about Wings and if you are then yes, it does still exist.

"Does this restaurant still exist and if so what is it's name? "

Well, it does and it doesn't. What you recall from 1993 (When Top Gun was new) was probably the Columbia Palace. Columbia Palace was a dine-in eatery that was widely known for it's fried chicken. Actually, people used to attend KI just to eat there... no kidding!

Well, soon after Paramount took over, Columbia Palace was re-themed to "Wings".... a 1920's Clara Bow movie-themed restaurant. It currently serves Montgomery Inn Ribs and Chicken, as well as fried chicken... however it is not the same good 'ol chicken from yesteryear.

Those that know Montgomery Inn food know that PKI's pales in comparison to the real thing. The food at Wings is mediocre and IMO, overpriced. However PKI is making great strides in offering better food/dining experiences this season.

It is still set up cafeteria style, where you grab a tray and go down the line. Actually each of the "indoor" dining experiences at PKI all serve cafeteria style.... Festhaus, Mandarin Chinese and the new Bubba Gump's. Others, such as Preston Tuckers, La Rosas, Skyline, Busy Town Grill etc. all serve walk-up/fast-food style.

I recommend Bubba Gumps actually. The food there is really good, reasonably priced and novel. I love the fried shrimp, and the key-lime pie is terrific.

"Thank you Shaggy for your information about Adventure Express. "

Flattery will get you everywhere ;-) Seriously I appreciate it. I enjoy talking about PKI. And I have this odd way of remembering miniscule details about it. It's a great park that has meant a great deal to me over the years.

Shaggy

Guest Designerbuilder

And they have got a whole bunch of new rides since you have been there including Delirium,Tombraider,Son Of The Beast,Face off,Runaway Reptar,Drop Zone, Flight of Fear,Wild Thornberry's River Adventure. YOu'll have a great time.

Edited by Designerbuilder

In addition to those rides, they've also added: Scooby's Ghoster Coaster, added a wave pool and pirate ship play area to Waterworks, and changed Phantom Theater to Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle. They've also removed Flight Commander, Skylab, Kenton's Keel Boat Canal, King Cobra, and a few other rides I can't think of.

And when you go, dont forget to save a night-ride for The Beast. If you've ridden it before at night you know what I'm talking about.

And don't forget to check out the Son, some say it hurts too much but it's worth a bump or two, better yet three or four. Have fun exploring the new Kings Island. smile.gif

Shaggy,

You mentioned that in there used to be a volcano effect in Tunnel 3 of Adventure Express. What exactly was this effect? Also, how much water poured from the Aztec statue, and was there anything special about it, like red dye or lighting that made the water look like lava?

Originally tunnel #3 on Adventure Express, the "Volcano Tunnel" was to be more heavily themed, however it opened with a simple flame effect and fire sound (I believe). The flame effect is gone as is the sound and all that remains is minor red lighting that can only be noticed at night.

At the end of the ride, a mere trickle of water poured from the "cauldron" held by the aztec statue. He pronounced "Now you will pay" (as he still does) and as riders passed under they got a minor dousing with H20. The water was not colored, was not lit and did not pour heavily upon guests.

Teenage Ninja - Skylab was actually one of three Huss Giant Enterprises installed in the world. One of the others is at Canada's Wonderland. Long before Giant Top Spins, and Giant Frisbees etc Huss offered this. Thus PKI can claim to have been home to three Huss Giant rides.

The biggest problem with these rides is that the weight of the gondolas would often force the hydraulic arm to fail. That resulted with the "thud" you aplty described. I actually was present the final time that Skylab ran at PKI and heard it's final "thud." The hydraulic arm had been replaced 3 times at PKI, and that resulted in a "3 strikes you're out" reaction from the park. They had sunk countless $ into reapiring the attraction over the years. So it finally met it's maker when cost and repair far outweighed it's interest among guests. The ride sat idle for 1 1/2 seasons until the park removed it.

The version at Wonderland (Originally called Sol Loco, but now re-named) is the only Giant Enterprise left operating in the world. It too has had it's share of downtime over the years, and sat idle for sometime at that park as well. It now operates as "The Orbiter" in their Action Zone area of the park.

Shaggy

I remember Skylab like I rode it earlier this mourning. I remeber the Ram. It was a serious Hydralic Ram too. I could see why PKI got rid of it, having to replace it 3 times.

The water at the end of the last tunnel in AE was more of a mist. I remember it alot too.