Water parks vie to open first U.S. looping water slide

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/...26+Deal+Blog%29

AquaLoop riders atop a 55-foot tower climb into a see-through capsule and cross their arms as an electronic voice counts down “3, 2, 1.” As a trap door in the floor snaps open, riders plummet down a 40-foot vertical drop and around a near-inverting loop. Traveling at 40 mph, riders experience 2.5 Gs in less than two seconds.

• 2 weeks later...
Drop Zone, Mt. Olympus is not getting the looping waterslide, Noah's Ark is. Which is good, because Noah's is a better park in general anyways (and has much more slides and a larger waterpark) then Mt. Olympus.

Sorry, I got them mixed up. I read about it going to Noah's Ark and I must of been thinking of Hades or something when I was posting this! Thanks for correcting me.

I just think it's an all-around bad idea. They need to have some way of automatically making sure a rider has cleared the loop and entire slide instead of using a timer like some parks do.

well I have never been to a park that just uses a timer, but usually there is a life guard in the splash down pools. That person usually signals up to the guard at the top of the ride to give an all clear. I am sure they do the same thing on the looping rides....

I've seen timers at parks where the top does not have a view of the bottom (WaTiki indoor waterpark in Rapid City, SD for example).

gotcha, thanks. I have been to a park before though, it was in florida (I forget where so my apologies if no one believes me) but the guard in the pool would hit a button which would (later i found out) turn a red signal green at the top of the ride... so that could be done.....

^^Also, some slides don't have a view of the bottom, so the rider has to pass a certain mark on the slide (marked with tape or something), and then the next person can go.

That would never work on this slide, as the rider may pass the mark but still not clear the loop. That can only be done on 100% downhill slides.

^^Also, some slides don't have a view of the bottom, so the rider has to pass a certain mark on the slide (marked with tape or something), and then the next person can go.

That would never work on this slide, as the rider may pass the mark but still not clear the loop. That can only be done on 100% downhill slides.

looping ride = possible tragedy