A whale attacked and killed a trainer at SeaWorld

More on the potential release of the video, a well written article:

...Kelly McBride, who teaches ethics to journalists at the Poynter Institute, admitted that it is likely to be exploited on the Internet, if released.

"Is there any accountability for people who would irresponsibly use the video? The answer is no there isn't."

She said there are parallels with the news media's fight in 2001 to release the autopsy photos of NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt after his fatal crash at the Daytona 500.

In that case, she said reporters wanted the photos to secure expert opinions on whether a head restraint could have saved his life when his car smashed into the wall at turn four on the last lap.

In this case, she said there's probably "not a lot of journalistic purpose" in the video's release, but "it's not just the sensationalism that compels people in the media to ask for these records."

"The reason public documents are made public is for accountability of public officials."

http://wdbo.com/loca...y-to-be-ex.html

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seaworld Orlando Fined $75,000 for Worker's Death:

The federal job safety agency fined SeaWorld Orlando $75,000 on Monday for three violations uncovered while investigating the February death of a trainer who was grabbed by a killer whale and dragged underwater.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration categorized the most serious violation as "willful," or showing indifference or intentional disregard for employee safety. That citation, carrying a $70,000 penalty, was for exposing workers to drowning hazards when interacting with killer whales.

The agency proposes not allowing trainers to have any physical contact with the killer whale responsible for trainer Dawn Brancheau's death in February unless protected by a physical barrier....

http://www.google.co..._tAS-wD9HPB6M00

Seaworld Orlando is contesting the violations...

maybe it's just me, but i see nothing but bad coming from the park placing physical barriers between the orcas and the trainers.

i feel that if the orcas are deprived of the love and one on one contact that they are so used to, then all of the orcas will end up with the wrap that tilly has.

what i mean by that is, if a trainer does end up in the water with an orca, for whatever reason (slipping or whatever), it will do like what tilikum did and try and keep that trainer in the water with them at all cost.

edit: i would also like to know which party was telling the truth in that video, sea world or the former employee.

• 3 months later...

Judge Tosses Part of N.H. Couple's Claim In Seaworld Trainer's Death:

An Orange County circuit judge tossed out a negligence claim by a New Hampshire couple whose son witnessed the Feb. 24 death of SeaWorld trainer Dawn Brancheau during a hearing on Friday, according to court minutes from the proceeding.

Suzanne and Todd Connell, who have said their son was only 30 feet from Brancheau when she was pulled underwater and drowned by Tilikum, a killer whale at the park, sued SeaWorld for negligence and damages from emotional trauma.

Circuit Judge Julie O'Kane threw out a count of negligent infliction of emotional distress, but reserved judgment on a second count in the lawsuit, intentional infliction of emotional distress, during the hearing.

The Connells have said their school-aged son Bobby Connell was bothered by nightmares since seeing Brancheau battered and drowned by the 6-ton killer whale....

http://articles.orla...s-entertainment

More, including access to the lawsuit complaint:

http://www.wesh.com/...726/detail.html

(note also the links to previous stories at the bottom of that last story)

maybe it's just me, but i see nothing but bad coming from the park placing physical barriers between the orcas and the trainers.

i feel that if the orcas are deprived of the love and one on one contact that they are so used to, then all of the orcas will end up with the wrap that tilly has.

what i mean by that is, if a trainer does end up in the water with an orca, for whatever reason (slipping or whatever), it will do like what tilikum did and try and keep that trainer in the water with them at all cost.

edit: i would also like to know which party was telling the truth in that video, sea world or the former employee.

Orcas themselves have responded in different ways. Two of the females were aggressive with each other in Orlando, one of the two females passed away herself back in September, I think the changes did confuse her cause she craved attention from her trainers and was used to allowing several trainers ride her all at once. Things seem to doing better now though since trainers started back up with physical contact, tho I do wish they get back in the water, because stopping that would increase the chances of another incident happening. Probably the saddest though was one of the California females at the SW there sitting in front of her trainer constantly sticking out her tongue waiting for her trainer to rub it, when it got no response she pulled it back in and stuck it out again. It went on for several minutes :( That was days after the attack.

Tilikum is a good whale, and Dawn was a amazing woman she loved that big guy to pieces, it always showed in her smile and facial expression.

• 2 months later...

SeaWorld prepares to get back in the water with its killer whales

SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment is preparing to put trainers back in the water with its killer whales for the first time since a trainer was battered and drowned by the company’s largest orca one year ago Thursday.SeaWorld told The Orlando Sentinel on Wednesday that trainers in its three U.S. marine parks will begin limited "water work" with whales within the next few months, with the interactions initially restricted to small medical pools equipped with false-bottom floors that can be lifted out of the water.
http://news.bostonherald.com/news/national/south/view/20110224seaworld_prepares_to_get_back_in_the_water_with_its_killer_whales/srvc=home&position=recent

I heard about that earlier, I think its about time. The news media swarmed the park today, my friend had a camera shoved into her face even. My word... news media in this country, don't mind their manners.

I'm happy they are gonna start working towards on getting back in the water with them, 3 of the youngsters in Orlando I feel bad for cause they were just beginning their water work training when the attack happened.

Okay some of you are fine, most aren't :P The ones that hang around SW interviewing the uneducated bleeding heart hippies with the cardboard signs give the good ones a bad name. They're supposed to give both sides, instead they choose bias side who can't decide whether the water at SW is too filthy or so clean the whales get sunburns from the rays of the sun shining through the water.

• 6 months later...