June 23, 201016 yr from screamscape: 2011 - Waterpark Expansion - Semi-Confirmed - (6/22/10) Screamscape sources have confirmed that Chang is now no longer being planned for the park in 2011. New expansion plans are currently in the works and seem to involve the same basic plot of land… but with a focus on expanding Hurricane Harbor instead. Nothing has been finalized yet it seems, as all the plans are still in the air, though we have heard of one plan to add a water-coaster style slide to the park, possibly similar in style to the Wildebeest slide added to Holiday World this year. More as we find out. link
June 23, 201016 yr Though this removal of Chang in favor of an expanded waterpark is not official, it does cause one to say: Again?
June 23, 201016 yr And everyone knows that what Great Adventure needs more than anything else is another thrill coaster with a 54 inch height minimum (and in New Jersey, it certainly would not be less than that...), Terpy said flatly.
June 23, 201016 yr Though this removal of Chang in favor of an expanded waterpark is not official, it does cause one to say: Again? That is what I was thinking myself! Deja Vue? I hope not!
June 23, 201016 yr And meanwhile, for its 37th anniversary, the grand park of the northeast gets an older standup attraction, slightly changed? Al, are you listening? Terp, merely repeating gossip....this time...what is true now may not be next week...or something.
June 23, 201016 yr According to RCDB, SFGAd already had a previously owned stand up for a short time. What was that situation about?
June 23, 201016 yr Author also from screamscape: Park News - (6/21/10) A new rumor has come up over the weekend that may anger more than a few fans of Six Flags Great Adventure. If there is any truth to it, the new management calling the shots may be considering removing the park’s infamous Great American Scream Machine coaster. While at first the move seems shocking… keep in mind that GASM’s sister ride, Shockwave at the Chicago park, also met with a similar fate a few years ago. Of course it’s also well know that Shockwave, the first of the three Arrow made Six Flags Megaloopers (Viper at SF Magic Mountain was the final one) did suffer from a fair share of problems that the other two did not. So the next question would obviously be to ask what reason there would be to remove such an iconic ride? According to the discussion going on at CoasterFusion, plans have been spotted at the park that now place CHANG… the B&M Stand-Up Coaster from Kentucky Kingdom, as possibly going into GASM’s spot. Up until now Chang has been all but confirmed for Six Flags Great America near Chicago… with a few pieces and the trains already spotted on site. Meetings have been taking place with the local government as well to get a height variance permit to build the ride there as well, with the final approval meeting expected to take place on Monday, June 21st. While I haven’t seen it myself, I’ve heard a rumor that the Six Flags issue may have been unexpectedly removed from the agenda for tonight’s meeting, which only adds fuel to the fire that Chang could now be looking for a new home. Of course the online version of the agenda still shows it there, waiting to be finalized tonight. I had been told that as soon as Al Weber took control of Six Flags, he began to made huge and immediate changes to the plans set in place for the 2011 season by Shaprio. I guess we’ll know more once the Monday meeting is over if the proposal to add Chang has been dropped or not. Stay tuned! link
June 23, 201016 yr SFGAm officially confirms new coaster plans for SFGAm canceled: Confirming Article In SuburbanChicagoNews.Com with the dreaded comma
June 23, 201016 yr Maybe this is actually the start of a ride rotation program, like the one that gave Carowinds our Eagles and almost sent both FoFs to Carowinds and Canada's Wonderland (I think that's what it was...).
June 24, 201016 yr I thought it was kind of funny how this little known site (Coasterfusion) managed to get hold of this breaking news. I didn't believe it at first and I am still hesitant to even though evidence is pointing in their favor.
July 9, 201016 yr Looks like SFGAm got quite far in the process before "changing their mind" http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=393014
July 9, 201016 yr That's what happens when new management takes over...all kinds of things get changed. Stay tuned for bigger news of changes, most of which have not yet become public...
Create an account or sign in to comment