Kings Island: A Perspective from Southeast TN

The Interpreter

I agree on the overpriced food. Like the $6 six inch instead of a $5 footlong at the Subway in Coney Island. Gotta laugh at that one.

Laugh? Why? A lot of families probably see that and say one of two things:

* Right then: Next time we eat in the car.

* Next year, when the kids want to go to Kings Island (with Mommy and Daddy knowing money is tight, not wanting to disappoint the kids, but knowing they can't spend that much money, and still bitter about the nearly $40 for pizza and Cokes for four the year before): Uh, kids, let's go: (pick one as the situation fits): a. to the pool, b. to the park downtown and swing, c. to see Aunt Myrtle in Indiana and go to Holiday World, d. see where you put that book you were supposed to read this summer, or e. fill in blank.

Moreover, how many parents have nearly cried when they have had to tell their kids they cannot eat in the park, no matter how hard they beg, as the parents simply do not have the money for such extravagance? And I'm sorry, but over $10 for the typical fast food meal of hamburger, fries and a Coke (found several places in the park) IS extravagance for many, many people. Could the average Kings Island worker, many of whom appear here and defend these prices, afford this on a regular basis on what they make?

Eventually, high in park pricing will lead not just to people eating in the car, but some people not coming at all. How many people will read that otherwise glowing report on Kings Island, see the pricing complaints, and decide not to go to Kings Island when they had been considering it? Will that number outweigh the people who will see the article and go when they otherwise would have not?

Put another way, do nearly $4 Cokes and fried potatoes that are more than $6 with tax (see Potato Works) generate good will and repeat business? At what point does overpriced food lead to people not coming back? Cedar Point, for instance, has lost 1/6 of its annual attendance in the last 16 years, according to Mr. Kinzel. All those new attractions and rides and 600,000 FEWER people now come. Yes, that area is hurting, but to lose 1 out of every 6 visitors when you have added multi-million dollar attraction after attraction and have, after inflation, actually lowered your admission prices? What's up? Is it the high in park pricing?

(Source: "Our top season was 1994. We did 3.6 million (annual visitors). Now we do about 3 million." http://www.sanduskyregister.com/cedar-point/2010/jul/11/second-sunday-richard-kinzel-cedar-fair-ceo-says-market-will-thaw)

And mere observation of people standing in line to buy food is no more scientific observation about park pricing than is judging coaster capacity by length of lines. There are many, many other factors.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laugh? Why?

I laugh because my kids dance down Coney Mall singing 'Six dollar six innnnnnch' instead of the 'Five dollar foot long' song. They know it's a crazy price, so they've made up a song to make fun of it. It's funny.

We are parking lot eaters, but will sometimes buy a meal in the park, or buy a pop in our Diamondback cup to share among the family (That's a HUGE cup, and pop is just liquid candy, anyway). For the record, when I posted up my tips for having a cheap day at KI, I was criticized on this board for suggesting to my readers that they don't eat full meals in the park. I was told that the park is going to go under if people like me keep posting those kinds of ideas. But it isn't a new idea. Parents are obviously hip to the fact that the food is expensive, so they don't, say, play arcade games that day to make up the difference, or go out to the parking lot to eat. It doesn't take long to put 2 and 2 together.

Moreover, how many parents have nearly cried when they have had to tell their kids they cannot eat in the park, no matter how hard they beg, as the parents simply do not have the money for such extravagance?

I never feel like crying when my kids beg me for stuff. I was a prechool teacher. Whining and begging = spoiled kids that get turned down. I took them to KI for gods sake. If mom says order a water, you're ordering a water. The end. They'll survive, and there happens to be a huge viking ship down the street that will make them forget all about a darn root beer. I am with you on the food prices, Terp, but not on the bratty kids. Kids should appreciate that you took them to KI in the first place.

Could the average Kings Island worker, many of whom appear here and defend these prices, afford this on a regular basis on what they make?

Nope.

Maybe the reasoning on KI's part is that they are a destination, so the average visitor isn't there on a 'regular basis'. The average visitor may be the 'one-shot' visitor. The stranger in a strange land that is trapped in the park and isn't hip to ordering a cup of ice water.

The season pass holders and locals are a different animal than, say, a mom from Tennessee. If I traveled to TN with the idea that my family would spend a day at a theme park... then, yes, I would be disappointed in the food prices. In fact, it would probably be the complaint theme of the day. Then the Family Dryer would come along and mock me, too.

But my kids aren't spoiled and I know how to research something before I go. Planning our WDW trip was like a second job. This writers article left me confused. Was it about kids growing to fit the rides, or was it about the price of food? It was slap-dash job and without focus. But I have those days, too, so I'll stop harshing on her. One day I'll write a stinker and hope she doesn't find me.

Eventually, high in park pricing will lead not just to people eating in the car, but some people not coming at all. How many people will read that otherwise glowing report on Kings Island, see the pricing complaints, and decide not to go to Kings Island when they had been considering it? Will that number outweigh the people who will see the article and go when they otherwise would have not?

Oh, Terpy, that's just silly... or perhaps it is just for parents who are easily defeated? If it came down to buying food at KI and not going at all... people are resourcefull and will figure out a way to go without buying food or anything otherwise overpriced. I would like to believe that the average mom and dad are capable of figuring out a way to make their family weekend happen without nixing it all together over the food prices. I'm sorry kids, the pizza there is just too expensive! I just can't see that.

I'm not saying they should have to figure it out. They shouldn't have to. The food should be better, or a hell of a lot cheaper. They shouldn't have to find alternatives...but they will.

And mere observation of people standing in line to buy food is no more scientific observation about park pricing than is judging coaster capacity by length of lines. There are many, many other factors.

Agreed. We have stood in line for 15 minutes for a single item. There were two people in front of us. Very quickly a line of more than ten piled up behind us.

------------------

Terpy, your post was so well thought out (IT HAD A SOURCE REFERENCE) that it made my coffee go cold while I answered.

My hope is that one day, the KI execs will realize that they are not making a lot of food sales. They will then turn to look out their window at the parking lot full of camp chairs butted up against the backs of mini vans. Eventually it will click.

Until then, we are singing the Six Dollar Six Inch song all the way to the arcade, where we shall put $6 in the Deal or No Deal machine before heading out to the parking lot for a snack.

And the thing is that all those season pass holders that are eating in the parking lot is a MISSED revenue opportunity. Give pass holders a blanket discount on food items that entices them to actually eat in the park. (Coney Island gives pass holders a 10% discount on food and Platinum Pass holders a 20% discount). Make it so that the prices are reasonable, and they will likely generate more revenue from some of their most loyal customers, which will positively impact the in park spending levels.

I know when I went down to Disney World in the fall of 2008, I didn`t think twice about buying 20 oz. soft drinks. Why? Because they were $2.50 a piece. That was far cheaper than the $3.50 that KI was charging for the same item. Yes, Disney is a destination park, but I can`t remember the last time I bought a 20oz. soft drink at KI. I almost always will have a cooler in my car with soft drinks for the drive home.

Minimum wage is currently $7.30. Most amusement parks make only minimum wage, so if they were to buy a meal in the park, it would take them nearly two hours of work just to pay for THEIR portion of a meal, not to mention if they were buying for others!

And the thing is that all those season pass holders that are eating in the parking lot is a MISSED revenue opportunity. Give pass holders a blanket discount on food items that entices them to actually eat in the park. (Coney Island gives pass holders a 10% discount on food and Platinum Pass holders a 20% discount). Make it so that the prices are reasonable, and they will likely generate more revenue from some of their most loyal customers, which will positively impact the in park spending levels.

I know when I went down to Disney World in the fall of 2008, I didn`t think twice about buying 20 oz. soft drinks. Why? Because they were $2.50 a piece. That was far cheaper than the $3.50 that KI was charging for the same item. Yes, Disney is a destination park, but I can`t remember the last time I bought a 20oz. soft drink at KI. I almost always will have a cooler in my car with soft drinks for the drive home.

Minimum wage is currently $7.30. Most amusement parks make only minimum wage, so if they were to buy a meal in the park, it would take them nearly two hours of work just to pay for THEIR portion of a meal, not to mention if they were buying for others!

Yes and yes. We always get a Dining Plan when we go to Disney, and I know that the drinks and food are averaging out to be pretty cheap... and the sit-down spots are gourmet food~!!

Since pass holders at KI are the ones that have figured out how to save money on daily visits, they should definitely be given some sort of perk that prevents them from eating at Taco Bell. ...a better discount than cheap funnel cakes before 5 pm.

But here we are comparing KI to WDW again...

Yes and yes. We always get a Dining Plan when we go to Disney, and I know that the drinks and food are averaging out to be pretty cheap... and the sit-down spots are gourmet food~!!

Since pass holders at KI are the ones that have figured out how to save money on daily visits, they should definitely be given some sort of perk that prevents them from eating at Taco Bell. ...a better discount than cheap funnel cakes before 5 pm.

But here we are comparing KI to WDW again...

The discount in the Rivertown Buffet is decent that brings the price down to a reasonable level for an all you can eat buffet, as well as the back yard brbq discount. But I agree an across the board discount would be nice, or maybe unlimited soft drinks at a minimum.

The expensive costs of visiting King's Island are very well known in my area, and it stretches across the state all the way to Indianapolis. Holiday World is starting to capitalize off this fact by advertising heavily in Indianapolis and the surrounding areas. King's Island is starting to loose area trust, and no matter what ride is introduced, families won't visit if the costs are high. And it doesn't really matter what rides are introduced to King's Island either, as teenage thrillseekers will typically make a 3-4 day trip up to Cedar Point rather than spend time in Cincinnati.

King's Island is obviously the park trying to work the family market. They're loosing trust to Holiday World, especially in areas where the distance is about equal. King's Island needs to offer more family discounts, and increasing the ticket prices by $5 to compensate for cheap food won't make a big deal.

Actually I am the first to complain about the high prices however no matter what there will always be visitors to KI. Kinda like smoking, when prices went up again I heard countless people say they would quit. Did they? Some but majority of them still smoke. Then you have the people who are just now starting to smoke, there will always be smokers as there will always be crowds at KI . Even with high prices people will always eat at the park.

the prices are expensive, no doubt about it. We still buy some things at the park but try and be smart about it. We have the special cups and all that jazz. Even a couple pair of 3D glasses, lol.

That said, LaRosas in Rivertown, made a KILLING yesterday. The place was lined out the door and you could not find a seat outside. That was even before the heavy downpour started.

Actually I am the first to complain about the high prices however no matter what there will always be visitors to KI. Kinda like smoking, when prices went up again I heard countless people say they would quit. Did they? Some but majority of them still smoke. Then you have the people who are just now starting to smoke, there will always be smokers as there will always be crowds at KI . Even with high prices people will always eat at the park.

Yes, but smoking is an addiction. There are no alternatives that can absolutely replace smoking.

However, there is Holiday World nearby, and from a family standpoint it serves as a good replacement. The local atmosphere along with the unlimited soft drinks make the park a more wallet-friendly park.

Doesn't matter. Even back in the 80's people complained about prices. No matter what they charge people always come back.

But their pricing strategy of late has depended more and more on per cap spending for revenue to supplement a discounted gate. The same # of guests (at a discounted ticket price) + lower per-caps = falling revenue.

The economy and the market is different than it was in the 80s. People are always going to complain about prices no matter what, this is true. However a drive from Indianapolis to Cincinnati is equal (if not longer) the distance from Indianapolis to Santa Klaus, and since the prices are cheaper it's obvious who's going to get more business from the area.

Even the people who come and will continue to come will spend as little money as possible. Packing coolers is becoming more and more coming. This means less money for Cedar Fair.

Doesn't matter. Even back in the 80's people complained about prices. No matter what they charge people always come back.

In the 80's, season passes were 30 bucks, and me personally, I didn't have any bills except for my car-big difference between now and then. Those were better times for me.

I agree with you all but coolers have been a big thing since it opened, I do understand they are loosing some business. However they will march on until CF can not take the loss anymore. IMO prices will never go down. We all speculate on this but until we see the actual numbers we have no idea. Even yesterday when it cleared up, every eatery that was open was busy. I bought food.

Kelli that is true but remember things were cheaper then as was wages lower.

Admissions are not what they were in the peak years. Cedar Point, for instance, is down 1/6 from its peak. Not only are people not buying as much stuff inside, but some people are NOT always coming back.

Two slices of cheese pizza and a regular Coke from Kings Island is actually a little bit cheaper than the same thing at a Reds game (at the Reds it costs $10 even) and at KI, it costs $9 and change. The difference? At the Reds games, the slices are EXTREMELY large. And you are only at the baseball game for two to three hours, not all day like at an amusement park. And I did compare prices to Coney and the discount that Coney offers their pass holders to entice them to spend money on food.

I don`t know what the actual food prices are at Coney compared to KI, as whenever I eat at Coney, its in the employee cafe, where soft drinks can be had for ten nickles.

Prolly right Terpy. Used to be a employee could not buy food inside the park (In Uniform or even out of uniform while on the clock) with the the exception of Entertainment and EMS/Fire. Lately I see employees in uniform buying product. Have the rules changed?

As for the canteen they always had tastey food and cheap prices when I was there.

The prices are just as bad as the regular stands. I have only been in there once in the past 2 years, and the burgers are soy burgers.

Wages were lower in the 80's, but your money went a lot farther then too. How about 2.50 copays on drugs, gas for 50 cents, rent as low as 150/month, etc. Even when I moved out at 20, I could buy a carton of cigs for 5 bucks, my grocery bill was 25 per week, my electric-get this-15 a month. If I took all my maintenance meds like I was supposed to now, it would easily be over 75 a month, and I'm one of the lucky ones. I still think times are harder now than in the past.