Kings Island: A Perspective from Southeast TN

The Interpreter

Certainly in the past teenagers wanting jobs at theme parks seldom had to compete with laid-off engineers, scientists, researchers, auto assemblers, tool and die workers, authors...the list goes on and on....

Exactly right. I haven't mentioned the chunk that comes out for medical premiums-and car insurance was not a requirement back then either.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And put this in comparison. Coney`s rides department has about 130 people in it. This year, there are about 100 returning employees who were in the department last year. That leaves only 30 or so new hires this year in the department! That doesn`t leave a lot of room for people wanting a job in rides at Coney (I`ve been told there is a waiting list for rides).

When I was of typical ride op age, Kings Island had a long waiting list for rides...but that was because it was considered a fun and unique job...there were ample openings in fields such as fast food, landscaping, retail, but many wanted to work for Taft! Theme parks were a new thing, and every bit as exotic as working for Disney!

And back then, Kings Island was a little bit more like Disney in the sense that worker uniforms were unique to the ride/area.

I`ve always thought it would be fun to work for Disney. (Of course, I have spent nine years working as a ride operator at Coney, even though I have a full time job now and am at Coney only on the weekends. I just find it to be a really fun job.)

The prices are just as bad as the regular stands. I have only been in there once in the past 2 years, and the burgers are soy burgers.

Wages were lower in the 80's, but your money went a lot farther then too. How about 2.50 copays on drugs, gas for 50 cents, rent as low as 150/month, etc. Even when I moved out at 20, I could buy a carton of cigs for 5 bucks, my grocery bill was 25 per week, my electric-get this-15 a month. If I took all my maintenance meds like I was supposed to now, it would easily be over 75 a month, and I'm one of the lucky ones. I still think times are harder now than in the past.

Not really true as inflation has remained relatively low over the past 30 years and wages have gone up, at least until this recession. Gas was not 50 cents in the 80s either, the cheapest in my 35 years was in 97-98 where it dropped as low as 67 cents per gallon. In the 80s it hung around a dollar if I remember correctly. My copay is 5 bucks for generic and was free until last year and if you have no insurance some drugs at WalMart, Meijer, Kroger etc are anywhere from free to 4 bucks for generic. Currently me and my wife only spend about 50 bucks per week on avg for food at the grocery store, though our electric bill is much higher than 15/mo. The key is budgeting regardless of what you make and not spending more than you earn. If you don't make enough to cover basic needs such as food, utilities, shelter, transportation and medicine then you need to find a way to generate more income.

The inflation calculator, found here:

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

disagrees with you. It says to get 1980$1 of value buying power, you must have $2.65 in 2010...

As to gasoline prices back then, one source is:

http://www.1980sflashback.com/1980/Economy.asp

It seems fairly accurate...and shows a low of 93 cents...

You may find this very interesting:

http://www.halfhill.com/inflation.html

The prices are just as bad as the regular stands. I have only been in there once in the past 2 years, and the burgers are soy burgers.

Wages were lower in the 80's, but your money went a lot farther then too. How about 2.50 copays on drugs, gas for 50 cents, rent as low as 150/month, etc. Even when I moved out at 20, I could buy a carton of cigs for 5 bucks, my grocery bill was 25 per week, my electric-get this-15 a month. If I took all my maintenance meds like I was supposed to now, it would easily be over 75 a month, and I'm one of the lucky ones. I still think times are harder now than in the past.

Not really true as inflation has remained relatively low over the past 30 years and wages have gone up, at least until this recession. Gas was not 50 cents in the 80s either, the cheapest in my 35 years was in 97-98 where it dropped as low as 67 cents per gallon. In the 80s it hung around a dollar if I remember correctly. My copay is 5 bucks for generic and was free until last year and if you have no insurance some drugs at WalMart, Meijer, Kroger etc are anywhere from free to 4 bucks for generic. Currently me and my wife only spend about 50 bucks per week on avg for food at the grocery store, though our electric bill is much higher than 15/mo. The key is budgeting regardless of what you make and not spending more than you earn. If you don't make enough to cover basic needs such as food, utilities, shelter, transportation and medicine then you need to find a way to generate more income.

I work two jobs, if that doesn't generate more income, nothing will. I am also single, so its just me worrying how to pay the bills. My copay on one drug is 34 bucks-sounds like your insurance is better than mine. I drive a 12 year old car with 251K on it, and I am in the cheapest housing I can find. If you have two full time incomes coming in, life is a lot easier than one. Don't judge someone else's situation if you're not living it. As a side note, I don't have cable and I have the cheapest phone plan I can get. The only luxury I have is internet.

And back then, Kings Island was a little bit more like Disney in the sense that worker uniforms were unique to the ride/area.

Ah yes, the good old days. When I first started at KI in '89, I wore a long sleeved white shirt and black pants (yes, pants... shorts were not given out for Bakery). Then the next two years I worked in Rivertown and wore blue shorts and the infamous red & white checked shirts, which we called Bob Evans tablecloth shirts. (But the girls sure did look good in those short little red & white checkered dresses! tongue.gif) That's when I first earned the nickname Big Boy, because back then I wore my hair longer than I do now, and with the humidity I always got a big wave in my hair. Combine the wavy hair and the red & white checked shirt, perfect the pose, and voila, Big Boy! Then in '92, I was 19 and old enough to pour beer, so it was on to Oktoberfest Gardens and the leiderhosen!

I`ve always thought it would be fun to work for Disney. (Of course, I have spent nine years working as a ride operator at Coney, even though I have a full time job now and am at Coney only on the weekends. I just find it to be a really fun job.)

And that's the reason I work Haunt... for fun. I have a full time job, but come Sept/Oct, it's a great time scaring the **** out of people! biggrin.gif

Ah yes, the good old days. When I first started at KI in '89, I wore a long sleeved white shirt and black pants (yes, pants... shorts were not given out for Bakery). Then the next two years I worked in Rivertown and wore blue shorts and the infamous red & white checked shirts, which we called Bob Evans tablecloth shirts. (But the girls sure did look good in those short little red & white checkered dresses! tongue.gif) That's when I first earned the nickname Big Boy, because back then I wore my hair longer than I do now, and with the humidity I always got a big wave in my hair. Combine the wavy hair and the red & white checked shirt, perfect the pose, and voila, Big Boy! Then in '92, I was 19 and old enough to pour beer, so it was on to Oktoberfest Gardens and the leiderhosen!

And that's the reason I work Haunt... for fun. I have a full time job, but come Sept/Oct, it's a great time scaring the **** out of people! biggrin.gif

Being a hair dresser that wave you talked about scares me already, hahaha, jk! Yes back in the day river town ride ops wore the red/white, blue/white and yellow/white checkered shirts with bluejeans.

Octoberfest, wore brown shorts with knee high brown socks and white shirts with a design on them.

Coney ride ops wore red and white striped shirts with blue poly pants.

H.B. land wore blue pants or shorts with light blue shirts with H.B. characters all over it.

Animal Safari Habitat area(az) wore safari type uniforms, tan in color. This is what I wore my first year working on Screamin Demon.

Back then you did not take your uniforms home, they had a fully staffed wardrobe dept. You arrived to KI give them your name and they gave you your uniform for the day, they did all laundry and repairs daily. Was kinda nice.

I work two jobs, if that doesn't generate more income, nothing will. I am also single, so its just me worrying how to pay the bills. My copay on one drug is 34 bucks-sounds like your insurance is better than mine. I drive a 12 year old car with 251K on it, and I am in the cheapest housing I can find. If you have two full time incomes coming in, life is a lot easier than one. Don't judge someone else's situation if you're not living it. As a side note, I don't have cable and I have the cheapest phone plan I can get. The only luxury I have is internet.

Not judging, just stating the facts and offering helpful information. Check out 48days.net which is a great career resource and has given me some great ideas on earning extra cash and helped guide my wife's path to a better career. I've been in your situation before and worked my way out of it. Key is to stay out of debt, which unfortunately I didn't do back when I was 21 earning 5.50/hour in 97.

The inflation calculator, found here:

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

disagrees with you. It says to get 1980$1 of value buying power, you must have $2.65 in 2010...

As to gasoline prices back then, one source is:

http://www.1980sflas...980/Economy.asp

It seems fairly accurate...and shows a low of 93 cents...

You may find this very interesting:

http://www.halfhill.com/inflation.html

The CPI over the past 30 years has stayed RELATIVELY low or non-existent with an average CPI of about 3-4% per year. In recent years its been less than that with periods of year over year deflation through much of 2009. Compare this to the mid to late 70s that saw CPI average increases of 8-15%

Ok - the food at the park is expensive....and fattening! People may not come back to the park because of the expensive food, which would be something the park could take care of. If people eat the park food, they get bigger. Then, they don't fit on the rides - another reason not to visit (and something the parks don't seem to care about). Are the parks doing themselves in? I think so - in more ways than one!

We need some canary parks....cheep - cheep - cheep!

Holiday World food is very inexpensive, of high quality, and the drinks are, with very few exceptions, included in the price of admission...so is that a Canary Park?

Terpy, listening to little birdies

I think so!! If they lowered the prices, I would buy more-on a few things