Value of Beverages on their bottom line

Wild Wadi also hosted a milkshake festival in 2010, setting up special kiosks throughout the park. Fernandes hoped offering a specialty drink on a limited basis would increase sales; it was also a test to decide if sales warranted adding milkshake kiosks throughout the park on a permanent basis. Sales were decent but, according to Fernandes, “We could have done better.

A Milk Shake and a hot day at the park doesn't seem like a good combination to me.

A few things I noticed...

"Self-Serve Sells"

Yeah, but self-serve also steals... I always wondered why they had no way of preventing theft from those machines, like having the cashier be able to control when the machines were turned on- they only turn on while a paying customer is filling their cup. I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned in the article.

“It just doesn’t seem to happen—at least not at a level that’s impacted overall growth,” he says. “In fact, the opposite is true. In most cases, each member of the family gets their own [souvenir cup].”

The number of people I've seen walking around with water cups full of soda carrying a Diamondback cup tells me otherwise.

Giving beverages their own locations will also help increase demand. For example, a kiosk that sells bottled drinks such as soda and water as well as iced coffee, smoothies, and Icee drinks will be less successful at attracting guest attention than a kiosk with a brightly colored, prominent sign advertising just one drink.

This gives me a great mental picture of a cart with a huge sign that says "Coke!" followed by three more different carts that say "SPRITE!", "DIET Coke!", and "PIBB XTRA!".

The food and beverage team is also exploring options for introducing a souvenir cup with a refill program specifically for iced coffee.

huh.gif

Both Coasters at Cedar Point and Johnny Rockets there and at most Six Flags sell many, many of them on the hottest of days...

Well, I suppose it is not much different than an Ice Cream cone. However I have to save those until it is almost time to leave the park. I had one during the Coasting for Kids event last year. It messed up my ride count for the day :(