KI Strategy Family Focused

The Interpreter

“We want to be a family park before we’re a thrill park.” - Kings Island General Manager Greg Scheid.

I can totally live with this plan...I could live without a new "thrill ride" for the next 2-3 years if it meant the addition of more rides that a family could enjoy together. :)

From the article:

Guests will be picked randomly from the Midway for surprises. A child will be selected from the audience every night to push a button to start the fireworks show.

Both of those sound very interesting. I also love the photo with the article.

Those who wished that probably shouldn't have wasted their time. I imagine the price to safely plan, demolish, and remove the world's largest wooden roller coaster would suck up quite a bit of budget, then to re-grade the land, clear the debris, etc. before "regular" construction efforts like surveying, digging, concrete footings, etc. could even begin... Sounds like a multi-year project.

• Like 1

From the article:

Guests will be picked randomly from the Midway for surprises. A child will be selected from the audience every night to push a button to start the fireworks show.

Both of those sound very interesting.

Not sure if anyone stayed until the fireworks last night, but that's exactly what happened. Except that they had 5 young people up there to push the button. They interviewed them and it was broadcast over the loud speakers around the park before they counted down. Was kinda cool.

“If you have a family that wants to go to Kings Island, that family of four will spend more than the teenager that goes there with a season pass,” he said.

very interesting quote to read about the mentality of the Cedar Fair chain... also their new commercials have something about thrills uniting....

From the article:

Both of those sound very interesting.

Not sure if anyone stayed until the fireworks last night, but that's exactly what happened. Except that they had 5 young people up there to push the button. They interviewed them and it was broadcast over the loud speakers around the park before they counted down. Was kinda cool.

Cool! Where in the park was this done at?

FUN.

Not six hints.

Just one.

Diversion.

When I read your vague but true posts (no offense intended) I always imagine the CEO of any park running a shell game. We, the customer, are always the next in line watching someone win big. We lay our money down, win a few lose a few, but ultimately we never really win. The house (amusement park company) always wins big.... The shell game could be a big coaster being built (or not being torn down), or the CEO saying hey we are now a family park where in reality they havnt done much to change the parks. I mean its not like they tore down the big thrill rides and put in a picnic area for families. Same thing when FUN ran the ride warriors commercials, made it seem that if you conquered the rides you were unstoppable, even if some of the rides have been around for 10-20 or more years... so diversion? i can see it

and I get that, but I look at this as all branding. Its like when a restaurant changes their fries. Its to get more butts in seats (or trains). Not a bad thing at all. Plus by telling people you are now a family orientated business and not just going for the thrill seekers then you are changing the direction of the company. It all starts with attitude and it can change the way a place is ran and percieved. But I still cant help to think that its just a shell game. We get a few changes but ultimately we get the same park but with a different attitude (so I guess its a big win).

I hope, I make sense and I am not just rambling on...

You make sense.

Just remember, given its debt level, Cedar Fair only has a relatively limited number of dollars to spend on capex. How that is spent will affect the future of the parks for many, many years.

CEO's and Boards matter. Their decisions impact a lot of people. Matt Ouimet gets it. So does Mr. Reid-Anderson at SIX. Interesting times.

A second hint: Watch what they DO. It's a lot more important than what they say.

• Like 1