Six Flags Great America - 7/5/12

flightoffear1996

So I left my house at about 5:00 to meet up with my friend from Indianapolis. I got there at about at about 7:00 and we were on our way to SFGA. We just got to the park shortly after opening to find the Superman Ultimate Flight queue over flowing was we headed back to ride Vertical Velocity.

Vertical Velocity had no wait. I give this ride just a 3/10. Not having the back twist like Wicked Twister really hurts this ride. Up next was the reason for this trip X-Flight as Batman was still down.

We waited about 30 minutes to ride. The ride is really fun to watch as the queue line integrates with the ride very well but the actual ride it-self was just so-so. The ride is just too drawn out for me.

I can remember the order of the rest of the rides but here is my review.

American Eagle - 6/10 - The queue line for this ride is very long and weird. The ride wasn't too rough and had a pretty good layout just seemed short to me.

Batman the Ride - 8/10 - My new favorite inverted coaster. We waited about 45 minutes for it. This coaster was down most of the due to technical difficulties but did open up later in the afternoon. This ride is non-stop positive G's and I'm glad it was as short as it was. I really like the station design too.

Batman Dark Knight - 7/10 - I don't know why this coaster gets alot of bid vibe but I really enjoyed it. I really dips around the turns and I kept waiting for a trim that never came.

Demon - 4/10 - No wait for this ride. It was a nice little coaster the 1st half. The 2nd half of the ride going into the corkscrews was too rough and ruined the ride.

Raging Bull - 3/10 - By far the worse roller coaster we rode all day. The 1st drop was pretty good but a trim early on in the ride just killed the pacing on the rest of the layout. I might as well have been sitting in a chair in the living room.

Superman Ultimate Flight - 6/10 - We waited almost an hour for this ride with a break down. The ride loads very, very slow. The ride is much smoother and facing the ground is pretty awesome on the lift. The seats are way more comfortable than on Firehawk. This ride just doesn't do much for me other than the preztal loop which was awesome and probably most fav. element of all time. High positive G's here for a very long time.

Viper - 9/10 - I haven't been to alot of parks like most of you but this ride is defentaly in my top 5 wooden coasters, The pacing on this ride is perfect and just when you think the ride is coming to an end it keeps going, Lots of suprizes on this ride Once again this ride is pretty smooth for a wooden coaster.

Whizzer - 7/10 - For what it was designed for it does the job. Its a nice little coaster the circular lift hill was pretty awesome.

We had a long ride back to Cincinnati so we called it day.

No X-Flight eh? I'd hate to stand in that line with serious heat, but I'm just a little surprised that wasn't mentioned.

Viper seems to be a real hit or miss coaster. It's great when running at full speed but if it's not then it's an average coaster at best. Glad to see you got a nice ride in on it!

Why all the hate towards Raging Bull? I absolutely love that ride (next to The Crypt @ Kings Island of course!)! When I went to Six Flags Great America, lines for everything were minimal, but I didn't get to do Viper, Whizzer, their train, etc.

But noo! You didn't get to do Ragin' Cajun, King Chaos, Condor, or Triple Play? I adore those rides, though a little less than The Crypt. ;) Condor was my first and only HUSS Condor, and Triple Play is super fun, as well as King Chaos. I'm also dissapointed that you didn't get to ride Iron Wolf.

I found Demon's ending very cool. I like how it interacts with the train and the walkway, as well as the sound of the train coming to a stop and the brakes releasing.

American Eagle was very fun, and I actually liked the queue for the ride. I just didn't like the fact that we lost. It also shares the name as one of my favorite clothing stores! :P

Final Thoughts: I feel that the straight spike on V2 is better than Wicked Twister's spiral tower. It's a looong way down if you're in the back seat, and I find it more thrilling than that of Wicked Twister. Also, Superman breaks down a lot (can anybody explain why? Edited to keep the Terpy away--Why does it brake down often? What is the cause for Superman: Ultimate Flight at Six Flags Great America breaking down often?), and is rather un-thrilling after the pretzel loop.

Glad you had a great day! I hope I get to experience the park again, soon. It gives a new meaning of "a Six Flags day!"

• Like 1

I'm also dissapointed that you didn't get to ride Iron Wolf.

That's because Iron Wolf is now Apocalypse:The Ride at Six Flags America in Maryland.

I realize that. Let it be known that Iron Wolf was a beloved ride of mine. It still doesn't make sense as to how it hurts you, just stand higher than the bicycle seat!

Batman is a fantastic ride!

The Dark Knight gets a lot of flac for being a family-style Wild Mouse coaster touted at the ride-version of a gritty, adult, much-loved, critically-lauded motion picture. Further still, a few flashing lights, mannequins, and ill-timed effects in a very-visible warehouse hardly qualify as a fitting pair to what is considered a phenomenal movie. It's a fun ride! It just doesn't meet the expectations laid out by its source material.

I actually liked Raging Bull, but if I'd heard all the criticism (of which there's plenty) then I might've noticed more of the issues people say it has. I'm glad I didn't hear it, though, because I enjoyed my ride a lot!

American Eagle's line almost beats Flight Decks!

Sounds like you had a pretty good day. I'm glad!