Top Gun/Flight Deck/The Bat paint jobs

myklhicks

So, I always thought that TG/FD/TB was only painted gray + red, gray + gray, and now orange and black. But I recently saw this photo of SoB and I just realized that it was once dark blue on the supports. I've always been curious about the timeline of this rides paint jobs, but now I'm even more curious. Does ny one on this forum know the years and colors of TG/FD/TB?

s8nh.jpg

• Like 3

There are actually quite a few clues in this pic that suggest a time table better than my recollections. It appears that SOB was just completed and the camp ground in the background is very much intact. So, my memory serves me correct that 2000 is a fair estimate on the year this photo was taken.

• Like 1

I forgot just how large that campground was. My family only camped there once but it was memorable. I caught my pants on fire. Our neighbor's kid had a big accident and then proceeded to go again when he was being changed in the back of his mom's car. We got caught in an awful awful storm. Tornado sirens went off. We had camped under a big tree right next to Top Gun (as it was called at the time). Sometime in the middle of the storm we heard the ride's lift hill go on and it was on and off for most of the storm. Unforgettable.....

Haha but yea sorry to hi-jack but I dont know dates for painting...

• Like 7

I believe it was in 1999 for the Opening of Action Zone. The darker blue that you're looking at is most likely the same paint job used through 09' and if anyone remembers how bad it got it would make you think FD was on the short list on the chopping block for about 3 seasons.

Edit: Can we please not use TB as an abbreviation for The Bat?

• Like 2

So, I always thought that TG/FD/TB was only painted gray + red, gray + gray, and now orange and black. But I recently saw this photo of SoB and I just realized that it was once dark blue on the supports. I've always been curious about the timeline of this rides paint jobs, but now I'm even more curious. Does ny one on this forum know the years and colors of TG/FD/TB?

s8nh.jpg

R.i.p SoB :,[

• Like 1

Top Gun never had dark blue supports.

Are you sure?

PKI-4-30-00-Top-Gun-First-Drop.jpg

PKI-4-30-00-Topgun-from-tower.jpg

You omitted the third photograph from that website which clearly shows the supports not being as dark as they appear in the first two photos:

PKI-4-30-00-Top-Gun-down-2nd-drop.jpg

You can tell by the image quality that these were images shot on film, a high contrast film at that. In the second image jandy posted, King Cobra's supports look black when in fact they never were. It's just the high contrast of the camera's film.

Top Gun DID NOT in fact ever have blue supports as it appears to in these images.

• Like 10

It is likely Gunship grey which is technically a dark grey with a blue tinge ;) And really, that is the way I remember it. I do think the photo is old and reflecting the colors weird.

I didn't intentionally "omit" the photo. As you can see by the post following the one you quoted, I stated that the grey appeared to be blue because it was likely Gunship Grey - which has a hint of blue in it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...