Firehawk vs B&M flyers

Ride On_17

I've ridden all the B&M flyers and Vekoma flyers in the US. I find B&Ms to be leaps and bounds above the Vekomas, but even within the B&Ms there are certain standouts.

I find Vekoma Flying Dutchmen to be boring and often times painful. The restraints don't get along with well-endowed females. Of the three, Nighthawk has been consistently the worst. It seems to have been very poorly maintained, and it sounds (and feels!) like a rattling deathtrap. I rode it once for the credit, then again during Con 2012 for some reason. Last trip to Carowinds, I happily skipped it.

As for B&M flyers, I was really, really looking forward to Tatsu last October because I adore B&M flyers and it had been really hyped up by everyone I'd heard talk about it. As a result, I ended up anticipointed (anyone remember our "KI Terms" thread years ago? Yeah, I definitely still use that one) because it wasn't leaps and bounds better than Superman. Sure, it was fun, but it just wasn't as amazing as I expected it to be. Among the 3 Supermans, I find SFOG's to be the best because the layout fits the terrain the best, so you end up with these awesome hand-chopper moments on some of the turns.

And then ... there's Manta. I adore everything about Manta. The theming, the experience, the park it's in.... and no, I'm not biased because I just got hired to work on the crew, I have loved Manta since the first time I rode it last January. I was afraid of being anticipointed like Tatsu, but I definitely was not. I love it when rides interact with their surroundings, and Manta does a fantastic job of it.

As for my overall opinion on flyers - I feel like the entire purpose is to feel like you're flying. The wide sweeping turns and in-line twists are what I feel like the coaster should be doing. I strongly dislike pretzel loops (I don't like intense positive Gs to start with) as it feels wrong for the type of coaster. I also do not like the loop and helix on the Vekomas. Overall, I'd say of the non-standard steel coaster types (flying, wing, inverted, stand-up, floorless, etc), flyers are definitely my favorite. Manta is my #3 steel coaster. Superman at SFOG was pretty high in my ranks for a long time as well.

I haven't ridden a Zamperla ... but I doubt I will enjoy it. They look like they should be called "Pain: The Ride." And egads, those transitions. Did Arrow make a come back just for those?

• Like 8

I've ridden all the B&M flyers and Vekoma flyers in the US. I find B&Ms to be leaps and bounds above the Vekomas...

As for B&M flyers, I was really, really looking forward to Tatsu last October because I adore B&M flyers and it had been really hyped up by everyone I'd heard talk about it. As a result, I ended up anticipointed (anyone remember our "KI Terms" thread years ago? Yeah, I definitely still use that one) because it wasn't leaps and bounds better than Superman. Sure, it was fun, but it just wasn't as amazing as I expected it to be. Among the 3 Supermans, I find SFOG's to be the best because the layout fits the terrain the best, so you end up with these awesome hand-chopper moments on some of the turns.

Superman? Really? ;)

(Sorry folks, inside joke. Carry on!)

• Like 1

I've ridden all the B&M flyers and Vekoma flyers in the US. I find B&Ms to be leaps and bounds above the Vekomas...

Superman? Really? ;)

(Sorry folks, inside joke. Carry on!)

Flight of Fear? Really?

• Like 2