5/7/04 Grad Night

GrandPoobah

The scheduling gods in the rides office blessed me with the night off on Friday. I figured that Grad Night would be a good time to head up to the park and get some rides in - the crowds shouldn't be horrible, right? As you'll see, that wasn't entirely correct rolleyes.gif

My friend and I arrived at the park around 6:30 and joined the other members of the class of 2004 (and a few people who definitely weren't seniors). We headed straight for TRTR and were fortunate to only have a short wait (about 10 minutes). They were bypassing the antechamber show tonight and loading guests directly into preshow. As I suspected, the guests tonight were much rowdier than usual dry.gif . After a delay because of guests who didn't understand the meaning of "fill in every available seat", we rode. It was an awesome ride, which is starting to become the norm for TRTR (it was succesful as well, in that it made it through a complete cycle tongue.gif ). Overall, a good way to start the night.

We next headed next door to Beast. I noticed they turned up the volume on QTV so you could actually hear the video. Beast was only a one-train wait; we sat in the second-to-last row. Excellent ride and relatively smooth. Beast operators now deliver a spiel reminding you to buckle your seatbelt, and to "get ready to experience the world's longest wooden roller coaster, The Beast". Nice idea.

We next saw that the line for The Vortex was onto the balcony overlooking the transfer track. I'm spoiled - too long a line for me. The line for FoF was filling out into the outside queue area; greeter told us one hour wait - again, too long for me laugh.gif . Racer's wait was only two trains, so we rode forwards. I really didn't enjoy this one - too rough. The Racers no longer race - not like it matters anyhow, backwards wins virtually every time.

Adventure Express was next. Nothing to report except the theming on the final lift is in pretty bad shape. Several of the lights and fist-pumping statues didn't work.

I decided to put up with a wait tonight and ride Delirium. I only rode it once in 2003, and hadn't ridden it at all this year. We waited 30 minutes, not too bad. Wow - this ride is incredible, I'd have to rank it as one of my top 4 or 5 in the park now. A little short, but still the wait is well worth it. I feel really dumb for not having ridden it more frequently.

Son of Beast was next, about a 30 minute wait as well. The main thing I noticed was how loud the music is in the station. It's really annoying, and makes it impossible to hear the spiel when trains are loaded and unloaded. We got a clue as to how the ride was going as train after train came back with grimacing riders. We got our turn and rode in the second-to-last row. Right after the train got onto the lift hill, the lift stopped and a ride op got onto the loudspeaker and asked someone to put their camera away. You tell 'em! Even though we were riding in the middle of a car, this ride was very, very rough. It would be an awesome ride if it weren't for the roughness. Incidentally, I checked the ride photos on the way out and didn't see anybody holding up a camera.

Top Gun (brought to you by Gillette Mach 3 razors) was a walk-on. The ride seems to have gotten in worse shape this year. It was rough, and the overall apperance of the ride and station was not very good. The only evidence of theming left is two banners and an American flag. When we got back to the station, only two people were waiting to ride. I guess noone else cares for the ride either, or they have no clue it's there smile.gif .

Walking back through Action Zone, it was obvious how busy the park was at this point. The line for the Festhaus was stretched out to the Age/Weight Guessing Game. Strangely, Viking Fury was a walk-on and we decided to ride. I had figured to go back for second rides on TRTR and The Beast. However, TRTR was a 30-45 min wait and The Beast line was out to the vending machines, so we decided to call it a night around 10:00. Overall, I got my first rides of the season on SOB, Top Gun, and Delirium. It was a fun night at the park, although busy and hectic for some of the time.

Sounds like a good time. I always hear that the people are like acting all crazy and drunk at grad night. Just a rumor but I dont know if its true or not. I called to see if they needed people to come in tonight cause I wanted to work but they told me no, I was actually pretty disapointed. Oh well, Im working tomorrow.

I didn't see any fights last night. Everyone seemed to be relatively well-behaved, although a few people were loud and rowdy.

To save time, instead of loading people into the antechamber and doing the show with the sparkling lights and door, people walked straight through the antechamber into the preshow. Once there were enough people in there, they started the preshow.

The ride program for TRTR hasn't changed at all - sorry if you thought that was what I meant.