Hot air balloon

This is an interesting story and I am interested in finding the balloon or any information or pics of it.   

my grandfather, Gail Turley was preparing to retire from his position as director of advertising and public relations at White Castle.  He knew he didn’t want to retire and do nothing and he loved to fly.   Having had a heart attack he was not eligible for fixed wing and he took an interest in ballooning.  He purchased N1120R, a 1977 raven from Kings Island.  It was outfitted with an Eiffel Tower and a Firestone sponsor logo.   Required to remove the logo, which would take MANY hours of carefully cutting stitches, he decided that removing only the st from the logo produced a very appropriate name for an aircraft powered by fire.  Fire One was born!   I rode in this balloon many times throughout the 80’s.   Eventually he decided to purchase a new Aerostar and then another and another.  The raven was well past its prime and he donated it to a museum at port Columbus.   The museum has since closed and I have no idea what happened to the balloon.   Records show a transaction in 2004 but no detail.    I would love to have some early pics of this balloon.  I know there is another post showing one of the older balloons that was sold at an auction but it is not 1120.  It couldn’t have been owned by the park for more than 2-4 seasons.  I believe my grandfather purchased it in 81 or so.  

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2