Old or new names?

TheCryptRaider

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the first few weeks after they changed the names, I was right with you. After my first visit to the park since, I have no problem calling the rides what hey are named now. I still slip up every once in a while, but I soon remember and correct my self. (Sometimes sarcastically ;) ) Now that I will be working at the park this summer, I have to call the rides by their new names, or I will confuse many guests who need directions. I honestly don't mind the new names.

If I insisted on this "I will not use the new names" practice, I would still be referring to Scooby Doo and Scooby Zoon at Kings Island, Coaster at Dorney, Borg: The Assimilator at Carowinds--or is it Stealth? What do I do with coasters that have moved? Am I supposed to, to stay consistent with this practice, make myself call the new thing at Kings Dominion Batman: Knight Flight?

To me, this whole thing is silly. First, names are given to things so other people will know what we are talking about when we refer to something. Unless you are trying to create a secret code or an internal almost-gang language, why would you insist on using names that very soon few to almost no one will know what you are talking about? After all, who here knew that Thunderhawk at Dorney has not always been named that? Probably not very many.

And if you are going to be consistent in that, shouldn't you still be speaking of Paramount's Kings Island, as for many of you that was what it was when you first knew it. The older among us...should we call it Coney Island? How confusing is that? After all, when Coney Island CLOSED (and it did) and moved (and it did), Kings Island was the new name, not the old one.

The Big Dipper at Geauga Lake that so many revered and were awed by? Few knew it used to be Clipper. And before that, it opened as Sky Rocket. Any older person who wandered Geauga Lake, even in the 1960's, saying he was going to go ride Sky Rocket would have been quickly labeled as, at best a curmudgeon, at worst, perhaps going daft.

Lastly, Cedar Fair owns Kings Island, They get to name the rides. Whatever they want. You can call them whatever you want, but at the risk of no one, or very few, understanding you. And perhaps being labeled a curmudgeon, or perhaps as going daft!

I prefer to call them by what they actually are. Invertigo is NOT Face/Off anymore! Drop Tower is NOT Drop Zone anymore! They're names are changed and I do not see why you refuse to call them by their old names!

Scooby Zoon

Ha Ha! I found a typo in one of Terpy's posts!

Other than Flight Deck, I think the new names sound just fine. Sure Drop Tower and Invertigo are pretty generic but they sound pretty good to the GP. I actually really like the name of The Crypt. Flight Deck on the other hand sounds pretty dumb to me. I wish we got Afterburn.

If I insisted on this "I will not use the new names" practice, I would still be referring to Scooby Doo and Scooby Zoon at Kings Island, Coaster at Dorney, Borg: The Assimilator at Carowinds--or is it Stealth? What do I do with coasters that have moved? Am I supposed to, to stay consistent with this practice, make myself call the new thing at Kings Dominion Batman: Knight Flight?

To me, this whole thing is silly. First, names are given to things so other people will know what we are talking about when we refer to something. Unless you are trying to create a secret code or an internal almost-gang language, why would you insist on using names that very soon few to almost no one will know what you are talking about? After all, who here knew that Thunderhawk at Dorney has not always been named that? Probably not very many.

And if you are going to be consistent in that, shouldn't you still be speaking of Paramount's Kings Island, as for many of you that was what it was when you first knew it. The older among us...should we call it Coney Island? How confusing is that? After all, when Coney Island CLOSED (and it did) and moved (and it did), Kings Island was the new name, not the old one.

The Big Dipper at Geauga Lake that so many revered and were awed by? Few knew it used to be Clipper. And before that, it opened as Sky Rocket. Any older person who wandered Geauga Lake, even in the 1960's, saying he was going to go ride Sky Rocket would have been quickly labeled as, at best a curmudgeon, at worst, perhaps going daft.

Lastly, Cedar Fair owns Kings Island, They get to name the rides. Whatever they want. You can call them whatever you want, but at the risk of no one, or very few, understanding you. And perhaps being labeled a curmudgeon, or perhaps as going daft!

so true terpy but what if you own a peice of memorabilia from the ride like lets say it is your favorite shirt or hat and wore it to the park that lists the park's name what then i fall into this criteria but sadly my favorite beach towel advertising amazone falls {now called congo falls} @ Kings Island {pre paramount days} finally took a dump on me and fell apart but to half way save it i cut it up into shop rags cuase i will always keep it till there aint no more; wwwwaaaaaayyy to many memories attached to it?.

so true terpy but what if you own a peice of memorabilia from the ride like lets say it is your favorite shirt or hat and wore it to the park that lists the park's name what then i fall into this criteria but sadly my favorite beach towel advertising amazone falls {now called congo falls} @ Kings Island {pre paramount days} finally took a dump on me and fell apart but to half way save it i cut it up into shop rags cuase i will always keep it till there aint no more; wwwwaaaaaayyy to many memories attached to it?.

Ummm.....what?

Ummm.....what?

im confused can you please be more specific?

^Can you please use correct grammar, and sometimes maybe add a period and make individual sentences?

Thank you!

sorry mind slips sometimes and i get too focused on posting then spellingand all that other stuff from english class which by the way i made d-c average

I think the crypt is a good name and they came out with a good logo that fits with the themeing that is still there. I only wish they would have the lighting effects and audio going all the time like they did the first few weeks it was the crypt.

Flight deck's name bothers me a lot, esp since Afterburn is a much better name. However I was also impressed with the logo they turned out for Flight Deck.

Backlot Stunt Coaster still bothers me, but so did IJST, mostly because both themes just do NOT fit in coney mall. I really hope they change the themeing to coney mall or make it part of Rivertown since they seem to up on keeping the themeing going with that this year. Maybe they could change the themeing of the ride to be a jeep type jungle adventure ride.

And of course Drop Tower and Invertigo are very generic names but like others have said, the GP doesn't really care.

i am mixed about this, I call Drop Tower - Drop Zone, and The Crypt - The Crypt, and Flight Deck - Top Gun, and Back Lot Stunt Coaster - the Back Lot, and I call the fairly odd caoster - The Beastie, and Invertigo - face off.

I mostly do this because they are the easiest to remember, and I've never in my life been at the park and heard someone say the fairly odd coaster or Invertigo, they also sound kind of dumb to me, and IMO "Drop Tower" is the stupidest name for something possible. Why not call Vortex the blue and orange ride? Drop Zone is such a great name and I don't know why the heck Cedar Fair changed it. As for Italian Job - Back Lot, not that many people could even remember to call it the Italian Job, so I think Back Lot suits it beter.

GRRRR!!!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!!! FACE/OFF TOP GUN DROP ZONE BEASTIE OUTER LIMITS:Flight of Fear ITALIAN JOB STUNT TRACK TOMB RAIDER TOP CAT'S TAXI JAM!!!! *pant pant huff and puff* Did I miss any (of the last 10 years)?

There, I feel better. Now that that's out of my system, I prefer the old names, but now I can call them by the new names. The one I really don't like is "Flight Deck." Could have been something else related to military aviation or planes, like Dogfighter or something.

I prefer the old names just because that is what I have been around for the most part and I still call them by their old names. But I think the new names will take some getting used to as well. So just give them time.

I'm kind of mixed - the Rivertown rides I call by their new name, the Action Zone ones I call by their old name, not really sure why. Oh, and it will always be Beastie, because I think Fairly Odd Coaster is a stupid name and Beastie fit it so much better. I still call Congo Falls, Amazon Falls even after all these years. I haven't gotten Invertigo to roll of my tongue without thinking about it yet, and I think Top Gun sounds better than Flight Deck. Drop Tower will just always be Drop Zone to me, maybe because it was used on two different rides so I have a hard time with no rides using it.

Well they HAD to change the names, CF can't use the name Drop Zone anymore it was the name of a Wesley Snipes movie.

If we can't use Drop Zone how come this amusement park in El Paso can?

http://www.westernplayland.com/

Because that amusement park in El Paso was not a Paramount Park, so the name Drop Zone (for them) was not a tie-in to the movie.

I use the new names. Do I like the old names better? Sure do. But they're not named those anymore. When Scooby Doo became Beastie, I gladly called it by the new name. I love Scooby (the character), but when the coaster became Beastie I liked the tie-in to the "big" ride, it mase it feel like I was riding a smaller version of The Beast (hey, go easy on me, I was a kid then).

I still slip up with WaterWorks/Boomerang Bay a lot. For the longest time after the change, I still called it WaterWorks. But the past two years I've had to be more careful (and I correct Mrs. Gator a lot now) because GatorGirl will tell her friends that we went to WaterWorks... and they have no idea what WaterWorks is. Tell them Boomerang Bay, and they usually know.

I still slip up with WaterWorks/Boomerang Bay a lot. For the longest time after the change, I still called it WaterWorks. But the past two years I've had to be more careful (and I correct Mrs. Gator a lot now) because GatorGirl will tell her friends that we went to WaterWorks... and they have no idea what WaterWorks is. Tell them Boomerang Bay, and they usually know.

I don't know that I've ever called it either name. It's just the water park. Even when I worked there, within the merch department it was always called "water park" when referring to the area, rather than "WaterWorks" (it's proper name at the time).