The Beast Recreation (Help Thread)

CoasterOhio

The new Flying Turns at Knoebels is technically wooden, and it has more than one lift. It is the only other wooden coaster I can think of.

Depending on how nitpicky you want to be, one COULD argue that The Racer at Kennywood is one wooden coaster with two lift hills :rolleyes:

If you asked many members of the general public, they might tell you that Adventure Express is a woodie with two lifts (don't laugh, I know MANY people who think AE is a wooden coaster)

• Like 3

On a few of the hills on our Racer, there is a little section of lift chain at the top. Even if they are only utile when the train is extra sluggish, would those be able to be considered lift hills too? (I think the third and fifth hills have them.)

The way some people talk about how far the ride originally went up The Beast's second lift hill before the chains kicked in, it almost seems like the same concept.

On a few of the hills on our Racer, there is a little section of lift chain at the top. Even if they are only utile when the train is extra sluggish, would those be able to be considered lift hills too? (I think the third and fifth hills have them.)

The way some people talk about how far the ride originally went up The Beast's second lift hill before the chains kicked in, it almost seems like the same concept.

I don't think there is actually a chain on those segments, I think they're just anti-rollbacks.

• Like 3

During an earlier era in The Racer's life (1980's I think) during early morning testing the ride would often get stuck in between hills 3 and 4 due to lack of weight and sometimes colder temperatures. This was solved by adding a small chain lift on hill 4 to allow the ride to get over the hill and compete the course. Later the ride somehow stopped needing the extra boost so the chain was removed and only anti-rollbacks were needed.

As far as how do they get the train back to the station if it gets stuck between to hills. I "think" they use winches and/or pulleys to just get it to the top of the next hill and let gravity an momentum take over. Unless there is something broken on the train...in which case I am going to guess they fix it where it sits then pull it up the apex of the next hill. I could be wrong though.

Last season when Millennium Force valleyed on Dino Island or whatever they call it now, they actually disassembled the train and took it back to the transfer track piece by piece. When Maverick valleyed on the same day, they just winched it to the top of the next loop and let it go from there. For more on those incidents, see this thread: http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php/topic/27353-millie-maverick-valley-at-cp/

Which doesn't fully give insight on what Kings Island would do if a Racer train was stuck on a mid-course anti-rollback run. Was having the chain still attached enough of an encumbrance to warrant removing it?

Perhaps they found that when the trains were switched to the current heavy heavy hippos (compared to the trains with the old style of restraints), that there was nevermore an issue with clearing the hill?

I could be wrong but within the past 3 or so years I could have sworn there was a chain inside the anti rollback, but it didnt look like it was on a motor it just seemed to be laying in between the anti rollback as if the train were stuck possibly moving the chain onto moto would be a possibility.