SKy Lab

flightoffear1996

I don't remember if Cedar Point has the same model as the skylab or not. If it's the one that has the bigger cars, which hold 4 passeners per car, 2 per seat. Then more then likey it's the same experience. I do remember the PKI one did not always go all the way up to the full height at times. But I really enjoyed the skylab I was very bumed when it was removed. I also miss the Flight Commander.

The one a Cedar Point when I rode it they only put one person per car in.

Well PKI was kinda strict on the capacity of the ride. The way the cars were, each car had two seats, right behind each other. It's kinda hard to explain cause each seat were in separate sections of the car, but it was really only one car. I remember the speil from Skylab from this day. Please sit 2 per seat and 4 per car. I know as well they are smaller type rides which each car is smaller. Huss has proper names for these rides.

Skylab looks like this. user posted image

And a standered enterprise looks like this. user posted image

But the ride itself is the same.

The Witch's Wheel at C.P. is a standard Huss Enterprise. The Skylab was a Huss Giant, or maybe Double Enterprise. The Skylab was a much larger size than the standard, each car capable of holding 4 adults. It was installed when the Coney Mall had it's major overhaul, taking the place of the Flying Dutchman. The ride itself was ok, the larger size made for longer, slower "loops" through the air than the standard. It was also slower going up and coming back down than the smaller version.

If PCW still has their Sol Loco, that's the place to find one to ride. Don't know of any others in North America.

The Witch's Wheel at C.P. is a standard Huss Enterprise. The Skylab was a Huss Giant, or maybe Double Enterprise. The Skylab was a much larger size than the standard, each car capable of holding 4 adults. It was installed when the Coney Mall had it's major overhaul, taking the place of the Flying Dutchman. The ride itself was ok, the larger size made for longer, slower "loops" through the air than the standard. It was also slower going up and coming back down than the smaller version.

If PCW still has their Sol Loco, that's the place to find one to ride. Don't know of any others in North America.

Ski Lab took the place of the Tumble Bug not the Flying Dutchman. The Flyer Dutchman where the Cobra loop was.

actually I believe the Flying Dutchman was right where the Adventure Express entrance is. Dutchman was still flying after King Cobra was installed.

Actually you are correct. The flying dutchman was indeed removed to make way for Adventure Express. It was located about where the exit to Adventure Express is. If you look thru you the beginning of the line and the exit you can see where some old rails used to be, by the holes in the concerete.

I'm not sure what he was trying to prove from those maps, but those maps were pretty old. I know I didn't start going to KI until 1987 and King Cobra opened in 1984 and I indeed rode the Flying Dutchman. We used to call them the shoes.

For those of you that rode Sky Lab. Was it any good? I never got to ride it but I did ride the one a Cedar Point. Is Sky Lab any different.

to answer you origional question -

Skylab was a great ride - used to be one of my favorites and I'm sad that it's gone.

Ahhh... Skylab and The Flying Dutchman!

It's my first trip to this site and you guys are really bringing back memories! I've been going to KI since I was a little girl in the 70's!

I found this web page with a picture of what the Flying Dutchman (although everyone called them The Shoes!) looks like now at Kentucky Kingdom. Click on the page for some great pictures! They've definitely repainted them. Back in the day, I seem to remember as more wooden-yellow colored with colorful folky graphics painted on them; did they always have red and blue ones too? Whoever is riding The Shoes looks like they're having fun in these pics. tongue.gif

http://fyabulous.com/richie/trip7.html

Hi everyone, and I look forward to walking down Memory Lane with you PKI'ers!