When will Dora Go?

coaster_junky

I like bringin up old discussed topics....it bring lfe to the part...or not, but hey when it comes down to it Do they want to pay moneyy to renew or do they want to spend MORE MUCH MUCH MUCH MORE!!!!!!X100000000000 money to renovate NU? I would want to pay to renew it...unless its an insain amount...(did I Condradict my self?)

And Viacom will take into account how much it would cost Cedar Fair to renovate should the license not be renewed....it just makes business sense....Viacom owned the parks at the time Nick Universe went in...it doesn't now...and the relationship between Viacom and Cedar Fair may not be the best...especially since Viacom did not get the huge amount that Cedar Fair paid for Paramount Parks...CBS, a once-related company, did.

Paramount Parks dropped Wayne's World from Carowinds and Kings Dominion due Paramount Pictures was asking for an insane amount to renew it. Didn't Viacom say shortly before they spilt that "We have no intentions to diverse Paramount Parks." I imagine the Viacom spilt was mainly to keep their tails out of monopoly court. I don't know much about laws so I think I am getting over my head.

~Roller "I think I need to be quiet now" Nut

Paramount Parks dropped Wayne's World from Carowinds and Kings Dominion due Paramount Pictures was asking for an insane amount to renew it. Didn't Viacom say shortly before they spilt that "We have no intentions to diverse Paramount Parks." I imagine the Viacom spilt was mainly to keep their tails out of monopoly court. I don't know much about laws so I think I am getting over my head.

~Roller "I think I need to be quiet now" Nut

Viacom did not split into two entities (Viacom and CBS) because they were in danger of any sort of anti-trust litigation. (They're far from the only media empire in town...see Disney, Time Warner, NBC-Universal, etc.) They split because the stock of the "old" Viacom was undervalued in relation to the combined value of its assets. So, they split the company into an "income" stock (CBS) and a "growth" stock (Viacom), with the idea that the more mature, slower growth assests (like television networks and theme parks) wouldn't hold down the value of the faster (in theory anyway) growth businesses of movies, cable, and internet.

Interpreter made a comment about how Viacom might not be so willing to go out of their way to help the parks considering that CBS reaped the rewards of the sale...not them. Of course, I'd also argue that I doubt if Tom Freston was clamoring to get the park business on his side when he, Les Moonves, and Sumner Redstone met to divy things up ;) Moonves got the better deal out of that one--who would have thought it? :D

Scooby Doo is now owned by Time Warner....not Nick....which is why Scooby and the Haunted Castle at one time was said to be on International Street and not in Nick Universe...the licensing for Scooby comes from Sally, the ride's manufacturer, and not from Time Warner directly....

But then wouldn't Sally Rides have to renew the license instead of KI so that KI, CW, KD, Carowinds, and the Six Flags park(not sure which ones) can all keep using the Scooby-Doo characters?

~Roller "One day KIC members are going to beat the crap out of me" Nut

Ahh the old days, when theme parks were theme parks, and new additions were surprises, when rides weren't ads.

Good times, good times.

So...you don't think Kings Island was an advertising vehicle for Taft's media properties? Taft's motives for building the parks really weren't so different than Paramount's for buying them twenty years later.

Corporate sponsorships and advertising have been in theme parks ever since Walt was doing everything possible to finance Disneyland in the '50s...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...