The Racer - is it smoother this year?

bsktgrvy

The last couple of times I rode The Racer (2 years ago - I did not ride it last year) it really slammed me into my seat at the bottom of the first hill and was very painful on my lower back. I always rode it facing forward since I prefer it.

I am about 5'11", 205 lbs.

I see from some of the newer photos The Racer has some new track.

For those that have been on The Racer this year, have you noticed a difference in the ride in terms of smoothness, or at least is it less rough at the bottom of the hills?

Thanks!

The Red Racer is very smooth now. KI re tracked almost the hole thing.

I didn't notice any holes in the track. :P Seriously...I enjoyed the ride much more this year. I rode both sides and they have improved significantly. There is still the occasional bump that doesn't feel very good, but its better than previous years, and its a wooden roller coaster, you kind of have to expect that.

There is extensive new wood on the Red Racer side....not so extensively on the Blue. The Red side is far smoother than the Blue. In fact, the Red side is smoother than it has been in many a year. And no, wood coasters need NOT be jarring. See Cannonball at Lake Winnie, Comet at Six Flags Great Escape in Lake George, NY, Viper at Six Flags Great America and even the lamented (by me, if no one else) Psyclone at Six Flags Magic Mountain. I won't mention El Toro, as some think that's not really a wooden coaster (they'd be wrong, and yet I can understand where they are coming from). And, oh yeah, how can I forget Teddy Bear at Stricker's Grove and Fairly Odd Coaster at Kings Island?

There is extensive new wood on the Red Racer side....not so extensively on the Blue. The Red side is far smoother than the Blue. In fact, the Red side is smoother than it has been in many a year. And no, wood coasters need NOT be jarring. See Cannonball at Lake Winnie, Comet at Six Flags Great Escape in Lake George, NY, Viper at Six Flags Great America and even the lamented (by me, if no one else) Psyclone at Six Flags Magic Mountain. I won't mention El Toro, as some think that's not really a wooden coaster (they'd be wrong, and yet I can understand where they are coming from). And, oh yeah, how can I forget Teddy Bear at Stricker's Grove and Fairly Odd Coaster at Kings Island?

the fairly odd coaster does bump you around a bit but not much no...especially since its a kiddie roller coaster..actually though, i think the most jaring of course is the first drop. but i can see what you mean...so yea. not too bad as for riding The Racer, havent done it yet so i dont really know lol.

I found the red side to be very smooth, I didnt get to ride the blue side yet, hopefully on this Sat. I will. Also was the red racer moving slower then the blue side. I noticed that almost every set of trains that left the station the blue side won. Even when the red train was further up the left hill.

I found the red side to be very smooth, I didnt get to ride the blue side yet, hopefully on this Sat. I will. Also was the red racer moving slower then the blue side. I noticed that almost every set of trains that left the station the blue side won. Even when the red train was further up the left hill.

Actually, the Red Racer climbs the hill on the right....

Terpy, running for his room....

I won't mention El Toro, as some think that's not really a wooden coaster (they'd be wrong, and yet I can understand where they are coming from).

El Toro? Don't you mean The Voyage (which is a hybrid).

Some people believe that wooden coasters that have a steel support structure (such as The Voyage, Hoosier Hurricane at Indiana Beach, and even the Cyclone at Astroland at Coney Island New York) are not wooden coasters. Heck, when Son of Beast had its loop, people would say that it wasn`t a "complete wooden" ride, because the loop was steel. Never mind the fact that the steel in the loop was supporting the wooden track, just like on the above mentioned rides.

The Intamin wooden coasters are more of a hybrid coaster then the steel supported wooden coasters. The Intamin rides do not use metal wheels like GCI, G and PTC wooden coaster trains do. Instead, they utilize polyurethane wheels, similar to most steel coasters.

Not to confuse the issue even more, but there are also those steel mine train coasters that feature steel track supported by heavy timber. Such rides as Cedar Creek Mine Ride, Adventure Express, and Gemini are all steel coasters, although often times the general public will refer to them as "wooden coasters".

I won't mention El Toro, as some think that's not really a wooden coaster (they'd be wrong, and yet I can understand where they are coming from).

El Toro? Don't you mean The Voyage (which is a hybrid).

Nope....I meant El Toro....The Voyage is many, many things. Smooth is certainly not one of them. Not in my book, any way....besides there is a far better wooden coaster in that park than Voyage (again, in my book). The oldest wooden coaster there...Raven.

• 2 weeks later...

I got to ride The Racer for myself on Saturday. We rode both sides once each. Each time we were near the middle of the train.

The red racer is much smoother and was a lot of fun. The blue racer was still pretty rough in my opinion, although not as rough as the red racer was 2 years ago when I last rode it.

By "rough" I mean there were at least 3 places on the ride where we were slammed into our seats - enough to cause some pain in the lower back. I expect some roughness on a wooden coaster but I dont' expect to be in pain for much of the ride.