Food Prices discussion

Steve

We were at Kings Island the second weekend of operation with family memembers. We all have season passes and chose to get the meal deal as we thought that was the better deal. It filled us up for about an hour and a half and then our kids were complaining they were hungry. In the past we have always let our kids get an ice cream cone or a pretzel but since the prices have gone up we choose not to do that anymore. I would personally love if Kings Island offered a 10 percent discount on food and merchandise. If you think about it, its not that much of a discount and it would entiltle people to buy more in the parks instead of leaving to go elsewhere or packing a lunch to eat in the car. Also I think they should lower there drink prices. If a park like Holiday world can offer free drinks and a 10 percent discount and still make it, then why can't Cedar Fair chains do it? As paying guests that enjoy going to amusement places it would be a great benefit. I think more and more people would come and actually stay in the park if we had more reason to do so.

That's the thing... Holiday World doesn't really offer free drinks. The price of the drinks is built into the admission ticket. If it weren't for the free drinks, the gate there would be EXTRAORDINARILY overpriced.

We went to the park Saturday night after dinner. It was the first time in a long time that we've gone and not purchased a meal there, and my wallet was very appreciative of that. We did, however, treat ourselves to a Cinnabon that the three of us shared (very warm and gooey and yummy!).

Yesterday my wife and I discussed what we will start packing in our cooler for our numerous visits this summer. Bologna sandwiches for my daughter and I (it's the only lunchmeat she'll eat), something else for my wife (who can't stand bologna), and some fresh fruit for our side (which would be nearly impossible to find in the park anyway). This will be the first time that I have ever packed food to go to KI (and I've been going since 1973), but Mr. Kinzel and the Food Dept have forced us to with the high prices. We'll still get a treat (ice cream, Cinnabon, elephant ear, funnel cake) for us to share from time to time, but as far as meals go we are done.

And thanks, Woofer, for once again bringing up the fact that Bakery is no longer there. That still hurts! ;) I miss it far more than the other places I worked that are no longer there (Rivertown Karts/Frankfurter Factory and Bier Garten). Bakery holds a special place for me because it was my first job when I was 16, and it's where I started my long and illustrious career at KI. :lol:

On Saturday we went to LaRosa's in the park near Rivertown and ordered a sice of pepperoni and a slice of cheese.

Pizza is priced for (2) slices on the menu board. I don't remember seeing prices per slice but that is what we were charged, and together came to nearly $1.50 more than if we had bought (2) slices. I was a little miffed at that one.

I agree that Outer Hanks has some of the best value meals in the park. My wife and I split a chicken tenders dinner and we each had 2 pieces of chicken and plenty of fries. Although they could have gicen us more than 2 bites of cole slaw.

Funnel Cake prices are ridiculous (we did not get one). It's $5.50-$6.50 for a few ounces of deep fried dough with a little sugar.

We went to the park Saturday night after dinner. It was the first time in a long time that we've gone and not purchased a meal there, and my wallet was very appreciative of that. We did, however, treat ourselves to a Cinnabon that the three of us shared (very warm and gooey and yummy!).

Yesterday my wife and I discussed what we will start packing in our cooler for our numerous visits this summer. Bologna sandwiches for my daughter and I (it's the only lunchmeat she'll eat), something else for my wife (who can't stand bologna), and some fresh fruit for our side (which would be nearly impossible to find in the park anyway). This will be the first time that I have ever packed food to go to KI (and I've been going since 1973), but Mr. Kinzel and the Food Dept have forced us to with the high prices. We'll still get a treat (ice cream, Cinnabon, elephant ear, funnel cake) for us to share from time to time, but as far as meals go we are done.

And thanks, Woofer, for once again bringing up the fact that Bakery is no longer there. That still hurts! ;) I miss it far more than the other places I worked that are no longer there (Rivertown Karts/Frankfurter Factory and Bier Garten). Bakery holds a special place for me because it was my first job when I was 16, and it's where I started my long and illustrious career at KI. :lol:

Remember Oktoberfest Fresh Fruit that was located between International Street Funnel Cakes and Bier Gardens? That was nice to be able to get a Fresh Fruit Cup or Strawberries and Cream. Yummy!

I feel for ya working at Rivertown Karts. I imagine that is before Beast Drinks became a stand unto it's own. <G>

Can you imagine if food service had to deal with the volume of business that was back in the 70's and 80's?

Saturday was our eat in the park day, Lets just say fries,(which were great), buffet(which everything was cold) ,drinks(lost my souvenier cup),and dessert.

set us back pretty much 100 simolians. Dont remember what this would of cost last year but I remember the food was much better than what we had at ceader point.

Saturday was our eat in the park day, Lets just say fries,(which were great), buffet(which everything was cold) ,drinks(lost my souvenier cup),and dessert.

set us back pretty much 100 simolians. Dont remember what this would of cost last year but I remember the food was much better than what we had at ceader point.

it couldn't have been much more, since food prices only increased a nickel or so from last season, as Kinzel has stated.... :rolleyes:

I feel for ya working at Rivertown Karts. I imagine that is before Beast Drinks became a stand unto it's own. <G>

Can you imagine if food service had to deal with the volume of business that was back in the 70's and 80's?

Beast Drinks was gone, or at least not a part of Karts, by the time I worked at Rivertown Karts in '90 and '91. We just had Frankfurter Factory, Depot Sundae Shop & Thelma's Frozen Lemonade, so it wasn't too bad except for the heat at Frank's and the bees at Thelma's. One day we made a "bee hotel" on the counter below our registers at Thelma's... we trapped the bees in the empty pretzel cheese cups, put lids on them and stacked them so that it formed a hotel. We had around 3 1/2 stories in about a 6x6 grid until the supervisor discovered it and made us get rid of it. What can I say, it was a slow day and we were tired of the bees...

I shudder to think about the current food crews handling the crowds of the 70's and 80's. The apathetic employees they have now would have no idea what hit them!

I don't understand why people pay for pop at the park, It's so expensive. I bring a water bottle and fill it up for free. Plus it's healthy for you unlike pop. The food is way over priced, but you can make it more affordable by just doing what I do.

So true. I haven't drank pop for years.

Especially when they charge what, $4 a pop?

I still eat in the car, or just bring Nature Valley Granola bars in my pocket, and get free water!

Isn't the reason season pass prices are so low..is that CF expects to make money off of you once you enter the park? If thats so..and youleave to eat..eventually will they do away with season passes?

I would just like a huge, regular ol' steel coaster. One with a big lift hill, not necessarily any loops...maybe something like MF.

By some stroke of luck, this one may be coming true. ^

Now, I want a real restaurant at KI. One that you go into, get waited on, and eat at. Like you see in almost any town in the U.S.

You'd think that a company that can drop tens of millions on a new ride could put in a restaurant and make a go of it.

There's tons I don't understand, though. I think it would be mighty scary to be in charge of a company that has decided they must get $4 for a Coke in order to run their business correctly.

Thats a problem I bet that CF hopes to never have to solve.

There could come a day....once you leave the park..there will be no re-entry

And that would just further alienate their Season Pass holders which I think would translate into fewer visits from them. Cedar Fair has made mentions about the learning curve on the importance of the season pass program at some parks over other parks, which they where not used too. I really think they could offer better perks that guests want and could still benefit the park.

Keep in mind, that for Halloween Haunt, Kings Island has a strict no readmittance policy. But that is only in place for Halloween Haunt. And the park has other reasons for that policy besides keeping people from going to nearby restaurants instead of spending money inside the park.

I would just like a huge, regular ol' steel coaster. One with a big lift hill, not necessarily any loops...maybe something like MF.

Now, I want a real restaurant at KI. One that you go into, get waited on, and eat at. Like you see in almost any town in the U.S.

You'd think that a company that can drop tens of millions on a new ride could put in a restaurant and make a go of it.

There's tons I don't understand, though. I think it would be mighty scary to be in charge of a company that has decided they must get $4 for a Coke in order to run their business correctly.

Ah, yes, that type of restaurant used to be called the "International Restaurant" right above the main gate. what a waste of space it is now.

Ah, yes, that type of restaurant used to be called the "International Restaurant" right above the main gate. what a waste of space it is now.

Actually, that restaurant was two restaurants.

Columbia Palace and International Restaurant.

.... And Then There Were None.

It's not just the gas gas prices going up, I think it's the food prices everywhere not just at KI, but at groceries and from from what I'm reading about the prices of the food at the park I better save my money as best as I can as well a

plan to save my money everything else and I don't think I will get use to this tihs will be my one and only trip to the park this year do the gas and money problem tightness.

Marcia :angry::(

First off I don't think that a restaraunt at a park with full service like you are talking about would be very successful. I know that when I am at a park I want to eat and get out as quikly as possible. Having a server is just going to waste quality time that I could be spending riding rides. Who is going to want to sit for an hour waiting on food to be prepared and served.

As far as the $4 Coke, this is where a majority of the money is made at the park. But would you rather see your season pass price be jacked up an additional $100 - $200 just so you can save an extra 50 cents on a burger? Honestly, I will take the current prices on the food and get a season pass for the reasonable price it's offered at considering it's pretty much a steal when you add in the free parking benefits they offer every season.

First off I don't think that a restaraunt at a park with full service like you are talking about would be very successful. I know that when I am at a park I want to eat and get out as quikly as possible. Having a server is just going to waste quality time that I could be spending riding rides. Who is going to want to sit for an hour waiting on food to be prepared and served.

As far as the $4 Coke, this is where a majority of the money is made at the park. But would you rather see your season pass price be jacked up an additional $100 - $200 just so you can save an extra 50 cents on a burger? Honestly, I will take the current prices on the food and get a season pass for the reasonable price it's offered at considereing it's pretty much a steal when you add in the free parking benefits they offer every season.

Very true, besides, imagine the prices of a full service resturant at Kings Island. Remember that outback steakhouse next door, it's starting to sound pretty good. Believe me I know because I work there, and everyone already comes there after their day at KI (unfortunately, many of which are very poor tippers). The only amusement parks that I enjoy full service at it are the disney parks because they DO put a LOT of effort into making the experience worthwhile and the food has always been VERY good.

Anyone else notice that the menus in the Festhaus have been replaced by LCD screens? They show rotating screens of advertisements for the food items as well as the prices, but it does make me worry because they could be used as a tool to raise prices easily... what I mean is, food could be more expensive on a busy day than a slow day when they know they'll do a certain volume.

Anyone else notice that the menus in the Festhaus have been replaced by LCD screens? They show rotating screens of advertisements for the food items as well as the prices, but it does make me worry because they could be used as a tool to raise prices easily... what I mean is, food could be more expensive on a busy day than a slow day when they know they'll do a certain volume.

That would be dirty business, really really dirty business...

Isn't the reason season pass prices are so low..is that CF expects to make money off of you once you enter the park? If thats so..and youleave to eat..eventually will they do away with season passes?

I've never heard your reasoning for the season pass price points. That's definitely a new one to me! :)

Season pass holders historically spend the least per person per visit (also referred to as "per cap") than any other type of visitor, so I'm not really sure that would be the sole reason, but it may be one factor among several. I know a lot of SP holders that will go only for a few hours, or will leave the park to eat if they are spending a full day. However there are plenty of SP holders who will eat all their meals in the park (which was my family until this year) and plenty of general admission folks who leave the park to eat. Overall a season pass holder is more apt to spend money in the park for food (depending on their length of stay) than they are for games or merch, as eating is a necessity while plush animals and souvenirs are not a requirement to survive (at least for most people :P ).

Your general admission person is more apt to spend money on games or a souvenir during their one trip than a SP holder spending money on these on each of their visits. As always, there will be exceptions to this.

I have a theory on why I think SP holders are more likely to leave the park to eat than a general admission person is. SP holders are used to going to the park several times throughout the year, whereas a once a year visitor will want to spend as much time in the park as they can since it is more novel to them. From my personal experience, one year when a group of us went to CP someone suggested going to Fridays for dinner (before they put one at Hotel Breakers). NNNOOOOOO!!!! That meant leaving the park! Against my wishes we did, but I would have rather not taken the time out to go to the car, drive, wait to be served, then drive back. On the other hand, on a majority of my CP trips we do technically leave the park to eat at the marina, which years ago served Montgomery Inn ribs and is now Famous Dave's. I like the atmosphere there with the boats and all the water, it's unlike what I'm used to in landlocked Cincy. Sure, there's the river here, but it's not the same. I still consider this park property since I didn't get in my car to get there, but whether it actually is or not I'm not sure.

I've never heard your reasoning for the season pass price points. That's definitely a new one to me! :)

Season pass holders historically spend the least per person per visit (also referred to as "per cap") than any other type of visitor, so I'm not really sure that would be the sole reason, but it may be one factor among several. I know a lot of SP holders that will go only for a few hours, or will leave the park to eat if they are spending a full day. However there are plenty of SP holders who will eat all their meals in the park (which was my family until this year) and plenty of general admission folks who leave the park to eat. Overall a season pass holder is more apt to spend money in the park for food (depending on their length of stay) than they are for games or merch, as eating is a necessity while plush animals and souvenirs are not a requirement to survive (at least for most people :P ).

Your general admission person is more apt to spend money on games or a souvenir during their one trip than a SP holder spending money on these on each of their visits. As always, there will be exceptions to this.

I have a theory on why I think SP holders are more likely to leave the park to eat than a general admission person is. SP holders are used to going to the park several times throughout the year, whereas a once a year visitor will want to spend as much time in the park as they can since it is more novel to them. From my personal experience, one year when a group of us went to CP someone suggested going to Fridays for dinner (before they put one at Hotel Breakers). NNNOOOOOO!!!! That meant leaving the park! Against my wishes we did, but I would have rather not taken the time out to go to the car, drive, wait to be served, then drive back. On the other hand, on a majority of my CP trips we do technically leave the park to eat at the marina, which years ago served Montgomery Inn ribs and is now Famous Dave's. I like the atmosphere there with the boats and all the water, it's unlike what I'm used to in landlocked Cincy. Sure, there's the river here, but it's not the same. I still consider this park property since I didn't get in my car to get there, but whether it actually is or not I'm not sure.

You're absolutely right, however I think that you're thinking along the lines that CF did when they first purchased the park, which is a mentality they've retracted. Although SP people spend less in the park, they do go, and they go often, and there are a lot of them. There's still a lot of money to be made from SP people. I'm willing to bet that you'll see SP people have more opportunities to spend money at the park in the future.

I think that Cedar Fair is learning that the Paramount Parks are not in Cedar Fair markets, were not developed as Cedar Fair parks, and, if operated as Cedar Fair parks as Cedar Fair has typically run them, do not do as well in season pass sales or per caps as Paramount Parks did with them. Imagine that...Paramount Parks had a clue...too bad most of the people at Paramount Parks who could have told them that and helped them with it were summarily dismissed or allowed to leave by Cedar Fair. But never fear, Mr. Kinzel has a plan...and time...for now.

Guest kwindshawne

After my failed flight last year, I went to CP instead. Even though the weather was horrid, it was a good day, and walking to the beach and eating at fridays made it nice. I would love to see a fridays at KI, even though I don't think it would make it with the local restaurants less than a mile down the road.

Wow, when did this happen? They still had the regular menus on opening weekend. And I agree with DeLorean, that would be extremely rotten if they raised prices on busier days. Hopefully KI has enough integrity not to do that. We should have a daily KICentral Festhaus price watch! :lol: