Geauga Lake: ACE did NOT take Big Dipper

A represenative from WKYC News contacted both me and president Mark Cole to confirm that ACE had not been given such an offer. The reporter may use this information for a possible follow up story. In addition, the existing story has been amended to include the new information: http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/news_articl...37&catid=45.

I find it refreshing that a media outlet is interested in correcting facts and getting a story right, rather than just moving on when they so often do in such a situation. Kudos to the responsive staff at WKYC.

Cordially,

~Bill Linkenheimer

Secretary, American Coaster Enthusiasts

• Like 1

I mean, they say they preserve rollercoasters, but I've never seen a good example of it happening. Seems like it's just a potential for bad PR from the parks if ACE doesn't get their way. I guess it's obvious why ACE doesn't get many events in the Cedar Fair chain anymore.

If you would like good examples, see the following:

1. Leap the Dips, Lakemont Park, world's oldest roller coaster, re-opened in 1999 after nearly two decades SBNO.

2. Blue Streak, Conneaut Lake Park, re-opened in early 2000s sometime with one of the original trains restored after at least a few years SBNO.

That's two examples that I can think of without doing any research. Sorry if I have any facts slightly off, but it's been a while since I've looked them up.

AND...

Weren't they offered a date for Beast Bash for this year and turned it down? Or am I completely off my rocker, or thinking backward...or possibly both? ;)

• Like 1

1. Leap the Dips, Lakemont Park, world's oldest roller coaster, re-opened in 1999 after nearly two decades SBNO.

2. Blue Streak, Conneaut Lake Park, re-opened in early 2000s sometime with one of the original trains restored after at least a few years SBNO.

Question: How was ACE involved in restoring these?

Question: How was ACE involved in restoring these?

Here is a caption of one of the pictures of Lakemont's Leap the Dips as pictured on negative-g.com

In the front seat is Ray Uberoth an past president of ACE and he's one of the many people who worked long and hard to restore the dips.

As for Blue Streak, it's going to take a little more digging than I thought. But I recall reading it somewhere.

Speaking as someone who has never ridden it...so I can't vouch for the ride itself. Tearing down any ride, and especially a wooden coaster, makes me sad. I would have loved a chance to experience it, and I would still ride it if given the opportunity.

Speaking as someone who has never ridden it...so I can't vouch for the ride itself. Tearing down any ride, and especially a wooden coaster, makes me sad. I would have loved a chance to experience it, and I would still ride it if given the opportunity.

As someone who rode it several times, RWB was fun, but not great, IMO.......

I'm trying to find some hard evidence of ACE having a big hand in actually helping to save a coaster, but I'm not finding anything. According to their web site, they seem to be more concerned with educating parks about the historical significance of their rides and possibly lobbying to have SBNO rides moved rather than actually having a deep involvement.

http://www.aceonline.org/preservation/

There is no way that CF is going to sell Big Dipper and the plot of land it stands on to ACE. If they really wanted to preserve it, they should have looked for outside help to relocate it. Who is going to build something on that property, but around the area where BD stands? Answer: No one

I came to this forum to see if anyone here is aware of the current Big Dipper sititation at GL.. I went to the auction yesterday the BD and RWB was sold for a grand total of $7500. 5000 for the BD 2500 for the RWB. The APEX machine co of Akron Ohio bought it. IT WILL NOT STAY ON SITE!!! I grew up in the Akron area and as some of the posters here have stated, people in this area are VERY PO at Cedar Point for the whole way the closing of GL was handled. I understand that the "theme" this year for KI is something along the idea of traditions and family fun. What everyone up here is so angry about is if it is such a "tradition" why not allow GL to make it to 120 years old (this year) then close the park. Other parks were closed with some advanced warning-little tiny Erieview at Gen. on the Lake and Astroworld are two that come to mind. This is no slam on KI but I can't see much of a tradition in a park that opened in the early 70's. I have been to KI and it is a very lovely parks-with shade and pretty landscaping but did not visit as much al GL due to location-30 minutes for GL vs 4+ hours to KI. I hope you all are not going to screwed over as we were here, but be warned--if stuff starts to be "relocated" and your "footprint" is just being rearranged--make your voice is heard EARLY and maybe you'll save your park. Don't be stupid like us here and believe everything will be ok.

I came to this forum to see if anyone here is aware of the current Big Dipper sititation at GL.. I went to the auction yesterday the BD and RWB was sold for a grand total of $7500. 5000 for the BD 2500 for the RWB. The APEX machine co of Akron Ohio bought it. IT WILL NOT STAY ON SITE!!! I grew up in the Akron area and as some of the posters here have stated, people in this area are VERY PO at Cedar Point for the whole way the closing of GL was handled. I understand that the "theme" this year for KI is something along the idea of traditions and family fun. What everyone up here is so angry about is if it is such a "tradition" why not allow GL to make it to 120 years old (this year) then close the park. Other parks were closed with some advanced warning-little tiny Erieview at Gen. on the Lake and Astroworld are two that come to mind. This is no slam on KI but I can't see much of a tradition in a park that opened in the early 70's. I have been to KI and it is a very lovely parks-with shade and pretty landscaping but did not visit as much al GL due to location-30 minutes for GL vs 4+ hours to KI. I hope you all are not going to screwed over as we were here, but be warned--if stuff starts to be "relocated" and your "footprint" is just being rearranged--make your voice is heard EARLY and maybe you'll save your park. Don't be stupid like us here and believe everything will be ok.

A Cedar Fair executive named Brian Edwards, who was part of the PR team for both Cedar Point and Geauga Lake, spoke at the GOCC Christmas Party and said that the decision to close Geauga Lake was pass by the board only a day or so before the announcement.

^That's probably the truth.

Unless you buy into any of the conspiracy theories. :rolleyes:

Why leave it open one more year? So that they can lose even more money? If the people of that area were so passionate about Geauga Lake, then why was the attendance so low? You're not showing much appreciation for a park if you don't go there and support them.

We did show our support--attendance of 700,000 isn't too bad for a small park- Mich. Amer has less but they are still there. Use some common sense, you don't remove rides and expect a park to grow in attendance. Also stuff was being pulled out of the park with in A WEEK!! of closure. You don't open up a phone book and say hey mr movers come move this big giant ride. Parks plan in ADVANCE of everything they do, so they knew. For a company that promotes "Intergrity" and that is straight out of the company employee hand book which I grabbed at the auction on Tues, they sure didn't show any. You guys got jerked around on your Amerciana/Led. Lake closing and that parks wasn't as old GL.. It should have been handled better.