Geauga Lake: ACE did NOT take Big Dipper

Apparently, 700,000 was not nearly enough for a park of that size. The rides had to be removed because it was over-developed to begin with. You can blame CF all you like, but the truth of the matter is SF ruined GL. If SF was making so much money off of GL, then why would they even try to unload that park to someone else? What insane line of thinking made SF management think to build all of those coasters in such a short time? Weren't there like 5 coasters built in a very short span? They thought that GL could compete with CP and were way off on that guess. The time has passed for build it and they will come.

Really? Please explain, then, why Geauga Lake failed...please explain why TTD did not bring the huge attendance bump Mr. Kinzel would have liked. Please explain why most others in the business are out of the big coaster building business for now, at least.

Yes, the days of "if you will build it, they will come" are largely in the past. You see, "they" have high gas prices, high in park pricing, other entertainment alternatives and even in park behavior issues to consider (like line jumping, smoking, etc.).

Ok, this is the first time I've posted my take on Geauga Lake. Back in the early 90s I went to law school in the Cleveland area and always went to CP. That is, until I met and dated, for awhile, a girl who loved GL. We went there in the evenings a lot and I always found it a very relaxing alternative to the huge crowds, long ride waits, higher prices and relatively more hectic atmosphere of parks like KI and CP. Ironically, my kids' baseball league had their annual "end of season" event at Stricker's Grove yesterday, which brought back memories of the peaceful nights at GL. You didn't have to do anything more than decide what you wanted to ride next, as opposed to fighting a crowd to wait in a long line....... The point is GL presented a very different experience from CP in those days........

When Six Flags took over GL, I thought they were crazy!! You can't make that park a competitor to Cedar Point is what I thought at the time and it turned out I was right. I saw them dumping huge amouts of money into that small area and saw that as nothing more than a sad attempt to immitate CP. Once again I use the word "ironically" when I say that the point of this post is that being different from Cedar Point made Geauga Lake great, while trying to be like Cedar Point made Geauga Lake fail........

• 3 weeks later...
Ok, this is the first time I've posted my take on Geauga Lake. Back in the early 90s I went to law school in the Cleveland area and always went to CP. That is, until I met and dated, for awhile, a girl who loved GL. We went there in the evenings a lot and I always found it a very relaxing alternative to the huge crowds, long ride waits, higher prices and relatively more hectic atmosphere of parks like KI and CP. Ironically, my kids' baseball league had their annual "end of season" event at Stricker's Grove yesterday, which brought back memories of the peaceful nights at GL. You didn't have to do anything more than decide what you wanted to ride next, as opposed to fighting a crowd to wait in a long line....... The point is GL presented a very different experience from CP in those days........

When Six Flags took over GL, I thought they were crazy!! You can't make that park a competitor to Cedar Point is what I thought at the time and it turned out I was right. I saw them dumping huge amouts of money into that small area and saw that as nothing more than a sad attempt to immitate CP. Once again I use the word "ironically" when I say that the point of this post is that being different from Cedar Point made Geauga Lake great, while trying to be like Cedar Point made Geauga Lake fail........

Agreed. GL was nice family park that people went to relax and had picnics. I lived about 15 minutes away from GL during SF purchase of GL and unrealistic expansion. Sure, I liked the coasters they installed there such as X-Flight and Batman Knight Flight, but Sea World pulling out was a sure sign that there was a trouble ahead for them. I am still not sure if CF bought GL to make sure no one can compete with CP or to save the park. I still insist it was the former considering 5 coasters they moved to other parks can be sold to people as NEW rides. The way CF auctioned off was also somewhat strange as well. They insisted that some of the rides not to be reinstalled in other amusement parks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Although this link was also posted under the Geauga Lake land sale thread, some may not realize it has lots of news about Big Dipper, and may not even open that thread, so here it is again. A LOT of interesting stuff here:

Big Dipper Lovers Hopeful as Cedar Fair's Land Sale Stalls:

http://www.wkyc.com/news/regional/akron_ar...868&catid=6

• 4 months later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...