Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

Buy a Gold Pass and Strike First!

November 5, 2008

Mark your calendar! An exclusive Preview Day for Kings Island 2009 Gold Passholders will be held Friday, April 17, 2009. Be among the first to challenge the new Diamondback roller coaster on Preview Day!

Gold Passholders will also enjoy early rides every day on Diamondback during 2009 public operating days.

E-mail bag:

Q: How deep are the footings?

Kevin MacDonald - Flint, MI

A: Most of the footings for Diamondback are between 12' and 30'.

Q: Why is the final piece of track before the brake run left out?

Jeremy Holland - Pittsburgh, PA

A: The piece before the brake run has been left out to allow adjustment if needed to complete the ride. That will be the last piece of track installed on the ride.

Q: What has been the biggest challenge in building Diamondback so far?

Tony Lawson, Columbus, OH

A: The biggest problem facing the project was crane and assembly space in the park while we were open.

School? Screw School! Diamondback is FAR more important then one day of school.

Well in High School it's a little bit different, plus we have block sceduling so if you miss one day, they count it as two. And another thing is that my mom would have to approve, take off work, and drive me. Plus i don't even know if she'd be able to get into season pass preview day cause she doesn't have one, and won't have one.

yea...our block days are thursdays and wednsdays and if you miss a block day you really are screwed

<BR>
School? Screw School! Diamondback is FAR more important then one day of school.
<BR>Well in High School it's a little bit different, plus we have block sceduling so if you miss one day, they count it as two. And another thing is that my mom would have to approve, take off work, and drive me. Plus i don't even know if she'd be able to get into season pass preview day cause she doesn't have one, and won't have one.<BR>
<BR><BR><BR>yea...our block days are thursdays and wednsdays and if you miss a block day you really are screwed

I predict many will be torn between ending the day on the one and only legendary Beast or on Diamondback, the new gem of Kings Island...

I for one, will be alternating depending on my moods, alignment of the planets, tide level, etc... I love a night ride on The Beast, but something tells me a nighter on Diamondback will be exceptional too.

The full time staff at Kings Island have been ranting about how excited they around about D'back's night rides since the announcement. Hopefully they're right!

They are right. There is a reason old Terpy loves to ride in the Night Row. And now, right there in Mason, he can ride in the dark and help the park get its coaster rep diamond back!

No, I was talking about great adventures riding in the night row, and how now, soon, in Mason I'll be able to ride in the night row of a coaster that is going to greatly help Cedar Fair and Kings Island get the park's coaster rep diamond back.

Terpy, who hopes that helps...don't feel stupid...Terpy loves speaking in riddles and really, really bad puns!

No, I was talking about great adventures riding in the night row, and how now, soon, in Mason I'll be able to ride in the night row of a coaster that is going to greatly help Cedar Fair and Kings Island get the park's coaster rep diamond back.

Terpy, who hopes that helps...don't feel stupid...Terpy loves speaking in riddles and really, really bad puns!

ha ha "Night Row" again. Aaron who is no longer quite as confused by Terpy's riddles.

Can someone post some pictures from the webcam? I can't watch it on my IPod.

You can't see the webcam on the all mighty ipod? It works nicely in pocket internet explorer on my 2 year old winmo 5.0 phone, even better using skyfire.

no flash support on apple products. same on my iphone...

You can't see the webcam on the all mighty ipod? It works nicely in pocket internet explorer on my 2 year old winmo 5.0 phone, even better using skyfire.

You should be able to view it. I am posting from my iPhone right now and have a second window up watching the webcam right now. I think it's java instead of flash.

You should be able to view it. I am posting from my iPhone right now and have a second window up watching the webcam right now. I think it's java instead of flash.

You're right, it's just a Java image refresher, not Flash.

I would imagine that once they start placing the remaining track on the drop they will not be able to stop until finished.

There is only one support that holds the majority of the drop track so it will likely need to be braced the entire time they are erecting the track. Should be very similar as to when they put up the giant lift hill support.

^^Is it possible it might all get done today considering after today the weather for the foreseeable future is going to be much colder, which could be a factor when working high in the sky?

Btw, has anyone noticed that there are not only some new webcam views (one encapsulating views of all the big drops, like a wide skyline view), but there are many, many views now too!?!

If I'm not crazy, mad props on these webcam additions and multiple views!!

This may have been asked about 946,000 times already, but I cannot find an answer.

Where exactly is DB's entrance going to be? I know I can count on you photoshop artists, drawers, and webcam-watchers here.. is there a way someone could draft out an estimated map of the layout of not only the coaster, but the entrance and queue?

I am very curious to see what some think.. I know some of you like doing this kind of thing, so there's your challenge for the day!