Question on "Line Jumping"

Tomkatt7

In longer lines, the ones that have the vending machines, if someone stops to buy a pop or candy bar, I have no problem letting them back with their party. Technically that is line jumping, but I always figure their party could've been jerks and stood there holding everyone up.

I got a couple chances to speak up this past season, but for the most part I saw very little line jumping. Perhaps I was just fortunate??

Yea, but the posted rules clarify that. If you leave line to buy food or drink, other people don't have to wait. Though that was nice of you and I must say I would let someone back if I could obviously tell who they were with and they weren't trying to walk across half the people in front of me.

The worst problem I had with it was at Universal Studios Hollywood. I embrace diverse cultures and have no problem with people from different ethnic backgrounds... in fact most people were polite and friendly but there were quite a few people ... whom acted like they didn't understand the concept of a line. This guy and his friend got in front of me and I said "excuse you, you can't get in front of me." and he moved out of my way.

It's really bad at Universal Hollywood. At least it was in the fall toward the end of the season. It was still warm of course.

In longer lines, the ones that have the vending machines, if someone stops to buy a pop or candy bar, I have no problem letting them back with their party. Technically that is line jumping, but I always figure their party could've been jerks and stood there holding everyone up.

Or in the case of Behemoth, the line never stood still long enough to get a Vitamin Water!! If D-back is like that hopefully people are cool with letting those people back in.

zzline.jpg

I always liked the "not a sporting event" theme...so stupid it was funny.

I have a sign in my room that says "Line Jumping is Not A Sporting Event". My mom go it for me a couple years ago and I have never seen that saying on anything else before.

Yeah, if someone is buying something at a machine I squeeze past them only if the line is moving at a descent rate. If it is sluggish then I just wait for them to finish.

I was at Knott's last weekend (where it was in the high 70s, which felt like the high 80s after the cold up here in Cincinnati) and there was almost no line on the Ghost Rider. So the second time we rode it, we walked through the long queue until we got to the stairs, where a whole group of people came through the handicap gate that had been left opened. I thought it was kind of rude that they cut in front of us, but it didn't really bother me much, I figured if the gate was left open on purpose that is were the line really started. So on the next ride we went through that gate also, but I made sure not to cut anyone off.

Some oddities that made me feel like I was line cutting at Knott's:

First, they have lines for the 'First Car' not just the first row. So those lines were long but no one was getting on the second row, so my friend and I would jump the rail to get in the second row. But we did ask the next 3 or 4 groups in line if they wanted it first. It still felt weird getting in front of a bunch of people.

Second, people there would just randomly not get on the ride like they were waiting from someone else, but they wouldn't let anyone go in front of them. Because of this my friend and I double rode the Silver Bullet and the Xcelerator, but we got back on after the gates had shut and no one came through. The line wasn't long on the Silver Bullet, but we had waited 30 minutes on the Xcelerator to get on the first time. So it felt weird to double ride when there was a 30 minute line, but the seats would've gone empty otherwise.

OT: Anyone know if a KI Platium Pass runs Jan-Dec or April-March? They let me use my 2008 pass at Knott's, but they never scanned it, so I wasn't sure if they should've let me use it or not. I was planning on buying a new Platium Pass if mine hadn't have worked.

The websites' language would indicate the Platinum Passes are supposed to be for calendar years:

Ages 3 and up.

Unlimited admission and FREE PARKING at Kings Island and all other Cedar Fair amusement & water parks during public operating days in 2009.

VALID AT ALL Cedar Fair AMUSEMENT & WATER PARKS

Photo ID card must be processed at Kings Island.

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/shop/shopp...season_pass.cfm

The Knott's website includes similar language AND a minor slam at Disney and Universal:

Platinum Pass Regular Ages 3 - 61, 48 inches or taller

A whole year of Knott's Berry Farm and the 2009 operating season to all Knott's Soak City Waterparks with FREE parking and no black-out dates. Plus, get unlimited admission and free parking to all Cedar Fair amusement parks and outdoor waterparks for the entire 2009 operating season.

http://tickets.knotts.com/shop/shopping_season_pass.cfm

So, it's definitely supposed to be calendar years. Depending on one's viewpoint, the Knott's people in California were either gracious, not very well trained or not very competent! :)

Depending on one's viewpoint, the Knott's people in California were either gracious, not very well trained or not very competent! :)

I would go with not very well trained. They all acted like they had never seen a Platinum pass before. I had to go to the information window to get a "Comp" ticket because they couldn't scan the pass at the gate.

So I take it that Knott`s did not receive the new ticketing system that Cedar Point got for this past season? I know that Cedar Point got the same type of ticketing system that Kings Island got, in part so that Platinum passes could be scanned right at the gate, without having to go to guest relations to get a comp ticket.

zzline.jpg

Yes, bring back those signs, I say. Maybe it would help, maybe not. Still better than nothing.

i guess they think since its in the park guide/ map that people would read it and obey by the rules.

But i guess thats not the case and that they have to put up signs to stop people from doing that.

people are so hard headed sometimes. it drives me insane.

zzline.jpg

Yes, bring back those signs, I say. Maybe it would help, maybe not. Still better than nothing.

i guess they think since its in the park guide/ map that people would read it and obey by the rules.

But i guess thats not the case and that they have to put up signs to stop people from doing that.

people are so hard headed sometimes. it drives me insane.

So I take it that Knott`s did not receive the new ticketing system that Cedar Point got for this past season? I know that Cedar Point got the same type of ticketing system that Kings Island got, in part so that Platinum passes could be scanned right at the gate, without having to go to guest relations to get a comp ticket.

I'm not sure what CP used to have, last year was my first time there. First, for parking they just kind of looked at weird, front and back and then told me to drive on in. Then at the ticket window I tried to buy a new season pass, but they said I had to buy a regular ticket then buy the new season pass at guest relations, so I decided to see if last year's would work. Go to the gate and they told me they could not scan it and I would have to go to the information window. So I went to the information window and I filled out a form and they made a copy of the pass, but I don't think they ever scanned it (they took the card to a back room for a few minutes, but I think they just copied it). And then they gave me a comp ticket that got me in.

zzline.jpg

Were was that sign...Im quessing Rivertown

If memory serves, that sign was located in the queue for King Cobra. If not there, could have been Amazon Falls, or Adventure Express. I'm going by the design for the sign below the "not a sporting event" sign.

Here is the complete picture lightened up:

zline2-1.jpg

Being that I took the photo, you would expect that I would know where it was…I know, I’m supposed to know every detail of the park. Isn’t it Kings Mill Log Flume? The structure in the background looks like the walkway…does the “2 Per Seat” confirm this?

(I am sorry that I do not know the park as well as I should…I will go sit in a corner now.)

Here is the complete picture lightened up:

zline2-1.jpg

Being that I took the photo, you would expect that I would know where it was…I know, I'm supposed to know every detail of the park. Isn't it Kings Mill Log Flume? The structure in the background looks like the walkway…does the "2 Per Seat" confirm this?

(I am sorry that I do not know the park as well as I should…I will go sit in a corner now.)

I think it is Adventure Express because it just is.

I think the most annoying case of line jumping I've ever seen has to have been last summer while standing in line for Vortex. There was a boy right behind me, he couldn't have been more than 11 or 12, and his mother or other older female family member was 20 or 30 people ahead of me. She spent the better part of ten minutes yelling at him to "get his a** up here." I commend the fine young fellow for refusing to cut in line and telling her to come back to him, until she threatened that they would go home after their ride. Talk about a fine lesson to teach your child. ;)

Line jumping in and of itself doesn't bother me as much as it probably should, I know in the end I'll get up there eventually. The thing that really bugs me is the fact that people just expect everyone else to deal with them and have no sense of courtesy or respect. I refuse to line jump because A: it's against the rules, and B: I couldn't stand the thought of people I don't even know thinking of me as one of those people.

I have witness line jumping at Coney first hand when I have been working. The Rock O Planes don`t really have a defined queue line perse. And that ride is a low capacity ride because we can only load one car at a time. I was checking heights and moving the ride while the person I was working with was loading and unloading the cars. Well, several times in one day, when I was scanning the line to see who I needed to height check with the stick, I was people come up from by the Python and just cut in line, skipping a dozen and a half of people, or about two ride cycles worth of people. When I questioned them why they just cut in line, they tried to act innocent like they hadn`t done it, when I watched them cut right in front of all the people! They wanted to give me an attitude as I told them to proceed to the rear of the line if they wanted to ride. They left the line and didn`t walked away. Presumably a ten minute line was too much for them to handle!

I have witness line jumping at Coney first hand when I have been working. The Rock O Planes don`t really have a defined queue line perse. And that ride is a low capacity ride because we can only load one car at a time. I was checking heights and moving the ride while the person I was working with was loading and unloading the cars. Well, several times in one day, when I was scanning the line to see who I needed to height check with the stick, I was people come up from by the Python and just cut in line, skipping a dozen and a half of people, or about two ride cycles worth of people. When I questioned them why they just cut in line, they tried to act innocent like they hadn`t done it, when I watched them cut right in front of all the people! They wanted to give me an attitude as I told them to proceed to the rear of the line if they wanted to ride. They left the line and didn`t walked away. Presumably a ten minute line was too much for them to handle!

I agree,I do think it is very annoying when people cut right in front of you.Like this one time I was at Kings Island with my friends and earlier that day The Beast was closed and no one was allowed into the station and the line was backed up all the way to The Crypt and one of the workers opened the line and everyone swarmed the front,and me and my friends said forget it lets go ride Vortex.

i just don't like it when the staff running a ride will stand and watch people cut and then don't even do anything about it, an example of this was last year when i was at Cedar Point i was in line for their antique cars and even though there was only about 10 people in line but two kids that were barely tall enough to drive the cars by themselves cut in front of me as i was getting ready to walk through the turnstile, when i noticed that the ride operator saw what at happened i looked at him, and then he just looked back and shrugged his shoulders at me.