KIC Offseason Blues Party!

gigacoaster2k

I took a ton of photos, and I remember mostly screen names instead of real names, so bear with me!

I left my house around 1:15, wasn't sure how the roads were down that-a-way. I got to GWL around 2:30.

We walked as a group from the lobby to a conference area (?), met the GWL people, and we were off to tour the GWL. Avatar, pkiboy, and Ryan were the only ones that recognized me at first. VERY NICE place.. and much bigger than I had expected. We were taken on a tour of some of the rooms.

A view from one of the upper rooms:

0131091513.jpg

I liked this wall deco in the next room we went into. Their rooms are spacious and beautiful. The tour guide (?) was very helpful, nice, and informative.

0131091514.jpg

We were all amused by this unique towel setup on the bed. I'm not sure who it was, but someone went to pet it and knocked its head off. :lol:

0131091515.jpg

We then walked down a long hallway, where we were told something interesting about the lights. The deer and the wolves carved into the lights are actually facing in the direction of the lobby.

We walked into a room with bay windows overlooking the water park. It's HUGE!

(forgive me for sounding like a tourist.. it was my first visit to GWL)

0131091518.jpg

0131091518a.jpg

0131091518b.jpg

Here is a photo of one of the lights I mentioned earlier.

0131091519a.jpg

We were taken downstairs and through a huge arcade.. by way of elevator. This was the only part I did not like. I am claustrophobic and I started panicking even before the elevator doors shut.

Once we were all downstairs, Ryan led us all outside and informed us that this is where it gets interesting. :lol: He gave us a choice to either walk to the International Restaurant, or to drive. The walk to the IR from the GWL, though long, cold, icy, windy and snowy, provided a great opportunity for everyone to chat on the way. Robbie (CoastersRZ) led the way, and was trying to show off by walking backwards.. I told him if he slipped and fell, I'd help him up after I laughed and took a picture.

Photos from the walk. I believe this is PhantomTheater on the left and windshawne on the right in front of me.

0131091544a.jpg

0131091547.jpg

0131091548.jpg

Diamondback. IS. GINORMOUS. Photos do not do it justice, I don't care what anyone says. I couldn't stop looking at it.

0131091549.jpg

Robbie is still walking backwards.. that is, until he saw the gleaming sheet of ice.

0131091549a.jpg

It was fun walking (or trying to walk) on this. But it was so worth it.

0131091550.jpg

0131091551.jpg

Jasper, this one's for you. It was the closest I could get.

0131091553a.jpg

0131091555a.jpg

Walking to the IR, I had to take another pic of DB.

0131091558.jpg

The IR has huge windows where you can look out and see the park. I grabbed a seat by the window, and KIfan73 agreed about the view and sat down at my table.

This is the view I had for over 2 hours. B)

0131091601a.jpg

0131091603.jpg

One of my favorite photos.

0131091604.jpg

0131091605.jpg

0131091607.jpg

KIfan73 said "Someone needs to take a picture of me." So here he is. That's Dane in the blue shirt in the background.

0131091607a.jpg

My half-eaten sandwich, Cheetos, and Mountain Dew. The food was great, and there was plenty available. While in line for food, I met XGatorhead.

0131091627.jpg

Avatar took some photos of me and clbheymer in front of the window with the Eiffel Tower, because our cell phone cameras weren't working with the light too well.

Ryan was first to get up and speak.

0131091640.jpg

Nick Lacastro held a Q&A session, and I learned a lot about Boomerang Bay.

0131091641.jpg

Then it was Robbie's turn. He gave an amazing presentation on the transformation from Coney Island to Kings Island.

0131091710.jpg

Another shot of DB from where I sat.. check out the second hill shining in the evening light.

0131091720.jpg

Don Helbig stepped up, and presented us with some very interesting facts about DB. When asked if we could see the trains, he showed us a photo of the railway train. It was hilarious. We didn't actually get to see a photo of the DB trains.. darn him. :lol:

0131091742.jpg

While everything was getting cleaned up, I hung back with some of the others. I talked to Ryan, Robbie, Jackson, Kawana, Ronny, and quite a few others. Then it was time to go, and I walked back to GWL with PhantomTheater (who wore SHORTS! are you crazy?!) and XGatorhead.

Regardless of the fact that there was no park tour, and no DB tour, I had a great time. I learned a lot, met some awesome new people, and got a lot of great photos. I was excited to be there, and happy to be a part of a KIC event. It was amazing to see KI in the snow. The presentations, tours, and guest speakers were all very well put together. I will definitely be attending more KIC events in the future.

Thanks to everyone who made this event possible. You all did a fantastic job. :)

Nice, and familiar photos. I also took a picture similar to the one you had of the view from one of the rooms of Great Wolf Lodge. I liked having that amazing view of SoB's most infamous portion of the ride. I'm ready for it again!

It was a bit amusing when someone looked out there and mentioned Son of Beast and also "Top Gun." (Ahhh. Forbidden word.) Then they proceeded to insult the ride and say that "the Dumbo ride at Disney goes down faster." If the person that said this happens to read this post...My suggestion is that you ride in the back row rather than the very front row if you want a truly amazing experience on Flight Deck. As for the coaster that you actually saw, if you look at the photo again, that would be Firehawk. It could be recognized by the Flight of Fear building to the right, or the fact that Flight Deck is on the other side of the first drop of SoB from that angle. Of course, then there's the whole over the lift hill and toward the right thing. ;) Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion of a coaster, but misidentification leads to amusing humiliation. :lol:

PS. The speaker that you weren't sure of the name would be Nick Lacastro of Park Services and Boomerang Bay.

Hey, I did not fall. Nice pictures, and I`m glad you had a fun time!

I had a great time as well, and think you should know that I enjoyed your presentation. One bit of trivia that struck me off guard was what you said about the location of the stations for the Sky Ride. I had no clue one was still there.

Great PTR! Wish I had been able to attend. The kids and I went to a movie today and they loved it.

Pictures like yours are always kind of a reminder to me that when life is bad, it's just temporary and good times will eventually return. The bad times are like the snow covering KI. They, like the snow, wll melt away and everything will be ok again.

Sorry, that may be the cornyest thing I've ever written, but I mean it....:)

It was wild just to go to GWL and a KIC event, meet everyone, and see KI in snow.. ALL for the first time.. and to see DB for the first time since October. Everything was so new to me. I loved it.

I honestly thought I'd be sad, to see no rides running and to see KI all bleak and covered in snow. I was more in awe than anything else.

I thought the same thing... I was telling my girlfriend that on the way down there. I mentioned it on the way home as well. It seemed so odd seeing everything and it being so quiet and peaceful. I was waiting to hear Delirium hiss or Drop Tower Drop. Alas, nothing ever moved (Thankfully). It was really nice to see the park I just have to be more social. However, we at least spoke once Giga... you asked us if you were in the right spot after you got to Great Wolf.

I didn't know if you knew that was me or not. I failed to introduce myself. Sorry.

It was really nice to see the park I just have to be more social. However, we at least spoke once Giga... you asked us if you were in the right spot after you got to Great Wolf.

It's all good. The only people I recognized right away were Ryan and Avatar. It was my first event.. I was looking around the lobby like "I wish I could put a screen name to a face right now!" So I just started talking to random people.. I won't be such a n00b next time, I promise! :lol:

I enjoyed myself and had a great time speaking with many of the people on KI Central. The tour of Great Wolf was something fun when you take into account the temperture outside. Hats off should go to all invoved in making this event possible! I finally got to meet Budda, Gordon Bombay, Dane and others from the board.

The Original Employee!

Mike

Nice, and familiar photos. I also took a picture similar to the one you had of the view from one of the rooms of Great Wolf Lodge. I liked having that amazing view of SoB's most infamous portion of the ride. I'm ready for it again!

It was a bit amusing when someone looked out there and mentioned Son of Beast and also "Top Gun." (Ahhh. Forbidden word.) Then they proceeded to insult the ride and say that "the Dumbo ride at Disney goes down faster." If the person that said this happens to read this post...My suggestion is that you ride in the back row rather than the very front row if you want a truly amazing experience on Flight Deck. As for the coaster that you actually saw, if you look at the photo again, that would be Firehawk. It could be recognized by the Flight of Fear building to the right, or the fact that Flight Deck is on the other side of the first drop of SoB from that angle. Of course, then there's the whole over the lift hill and toward the right thing. ;) Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion of a coaster, but misidentification leads to amusing humiliation. :lol:

PS. The speaker that you weren't sure of the name would be Nick Lacastro of Park Services and Boomerang Bay.

I believe I said the Dumbo ride was faster and more exciting than Flight Deck (or something to that effect), and unless they repainted Firehawk since Halloween Haunt, the gray thing I saw looking out the window of the room in GWL was Flight Deck. I think it's too short, but despite the quick ride, I can still almost take a nap while riding it.

I believe I said the Dumbo ride was faster and more exciting than Flight Deck (or something to that effect), and unless they repainted Firehawk since Halloween Haunt, the gray thing I saw looking out the window of the room in GWL was Flight Deck. I think it's too short, but despite the quick ride, I can still almost take a nap while riding it.

A nap? Somehow I think that might be exaggerated, though I agree it's a short ride...but fast.

The prominent coaster next to SoB was indeed Firehawk, and it was hard to tell what color it was due to the bright sunlight, the screen over the window, and the fact that everything in that direction appeared the usual wintery shade of blah. Check the design of the ride, and you will see that it's not FD that you saw. FD is farther over, and doesn't have the FoF building next to it. ;)

PS. Firehawk is not the one that needs painted! ;)