kings dominion new coaster in development

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of pictures from the announcement from today can be found here.

:lol: Someone wrote on that page.

The way they make it sound, is that its made for airtime, we shall see.

Personally I think it is all about the speed and quickness of an actual race car. But I guess we all have our own interpretations. I don't really think it is fair to judge the ride yet (like this guy did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ_-s8M42p0). But for now I am excited to see the outcome.

BOOOOOO Cedar Fair!

I will laugh when they go Bankrupt because they don't want anything at the other parks to be better than what CP has. Great business decision Kinzel. LOL! :lol:

Absolutely laughable what you just posted... Seriously record breaking is not that big of an attraction to the general public, unlike exciting rides, which I305 will be, just like Diamondback has been for KI. Some of the best coasters around do not break records. Some that do are maientence nightmares, Kingda KA, SoB to name a few. CF is more likely to go bankrupt because of the downturn in the economy and the large capital expenditures they continue to make.

The tallest and fastest gravity driven roller coaster on the East Coast screams along 5,100 feet of steel track at 92 MPH! At a whopping 305 feet tall, Intimidator will be the BIGGEST and BADDEST steel roller coaster in the Mid-Atlantic and on the East Coast!

Featured in the Guinness World Records, the Giga-Coaster belongs to the family of ultra high coasters with a first drop of 300 feet or more resulting in a train speed in excess of 90 MPH.

^This is what's laughable. CF loves record breaking. I'm sorry to upset you fanboys but I'm only being reasonable. CF's top priority wasn't creating a great ride, their top priority was making sure the coaster goes 1mph less than the great MF!

Cedar Fair was already losing tons of money even before the economic downfall took effect. I'll still laugh when they file for chapter 11! :lol:

Stop being a D-bag please!!!

I think they tried to combine two of their greatest coasters into one. First we have the giga coaster which provides amazing speed. Then we have Intamin's Mega-lite coaster such as Piraten at Djurs Sommerland in Denmark. This coaster provides great airtime and twists and turns. Intimidator looks just like this but at a larger scale. Maybe it will turn out alright.

p22010.jpg

I think they tried to combine two of their greatest coasters into one. First we have the giga coaster which provides amazing speed. Then we have Intamin's Mega-lite coaster such as Piraten at Djurs Sommerland in Denmark. This coaster provides great airtime and twists and turns. Intimidator looks just like this but at a larger scale. Maybe it will turn out alright.

p22010.jpg

Yes see post #454 from earlier today, I agree.

Well, this post has something to say about Intimidator going to Carowinds:

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/unrestric..._roller_coaster

Apparently Carowinds's Coaster will also be Dale Earndhardt themed:

New roller coasters at two amusement parks — Kings Dominion in Doswell, Va., and Carowinds in Charlotte — will debut next year with Dale Earnhardt marks as part of a unique licensing agreement with Dale Earnhardt Inc (DEI).

But, I don't know how reliable that article is because of the picture that is on there by the start of the article.

Guest rcfreak339

I'm disappointed....Not by the layout. Trust me the layout looks great but come on OTSR? People think that OTSR don't matter. Trust me they do. Maverick can hurt bad but going 90mph? Forget about it.

Shoulder restraints? wow.

I really like that sharp low turn at the front, no hill to slow it down. Was kinda dissapointing with only 305ft.

They don't even touch your shoulders unless you are really tall. It is a lap bar with two rubbery fixed straps that connect to your seat. Brace yourself because it is very easy to bash your neck on those quick turns like on Maverick.

I like the first turn too. Kinda like the Ride of Steel clones at Darien Lake and Six Flags America but a lot fast and a longer turn.

EDIT: Does anyone else think that the construction period might go by a little faster with a lot of the coaster being pretty low to the ground?

Sorry I havn't been around much lately but after updating my browser it's become harder to keep track of sites visted & I hate having to login each time but here I am once again.

I have mixed feelings on the layout because,after the first drop the ride is just too low to the ground for a good portion of the layout but other than that it should prove to be a good ride experience,at least this time CF saw fit to give the ride it's own webpage,webcam & blog so that's also a plus as well.

Ugh I'm still really mad that Kings Island can't get an awesome coaster like that! I mean, we have Diamondback, but not a huge awesome coaster!!!!

:angry:

I305 is 75ft taller than Diamondback, but DB is 182 ft longer. I'd say that makes DB a huge awesome coaster. B&M's hypers are just a different style then Intamin's gigas. B&M tall fast lots of airtime, Intamin taller, faster, less airtime hills but it never losses its speed.

I don't know.. I think the quick transitions will be pretty fun, as will some of the smaller airtime hills. And obviously the first drop is going to be killer. But I love MF's layout because of the great views you get on the camelbacks going to and from the island. Not to mention the airtime hill and overbank after the 2nd tunnel. Nonetheless I think it'll be a great addition to KD, a park that quietly (IMO) has a great collection of coasters.

Doesn't look as cool as Diamondback. Sure it's taller and faster but I think, actually looks a little tame, except the first drop. Sure the lift seems cool, but Diamondback has a really fast and quiet lift also. The airtime looks very weak, while on Diamondback it's extremely intense. I probably won't go all the way down there to ride something like that.