Test Your PKI Knowledge

gabelogan99

Many, many years ago there was cowboys and indians that would be running around the "little town" that the train runs through and be shooting at each other with guns and bows and arrows. There were also beavers that would chew on the trees and they would fall just as the train passed.

Hello,

That quiz was great! I got a 24/25. I missed the question about Wipeout beach. My first instinct was right, but then I psyched myself into thinking it was 96 instead of 98. Hmph.

I noticed that one of the questions identified 1992 as the last year for the monorail. The park history page of this web site agrees with the quiz. However, that is actually not correct.

The monorail ran in 1993 as well. I wanted to check my archives before posting, and I did find this is indeed the case.

Not to get off-topic or anything (I suppose it does fall under "PKI Knowledge"), but I'm also thinking Viking Fury opened in 1983, not 1982. I'm not sure about that, but that just seems to be how I remember it. Unfortunately, all I have on that is an old souvenir map that says "Swinging Ship 1983" on it. Not the most reliable source as you probably know.

Let's see who knows the answers to these:

1. What was the oldest attraction to ever operate at King’s Island?

2. Is the Monster now located on Coney Mall original to the park?

3. What is different about the 2nd floor of the shops on International Street?

4. A part of The Bat, other than the station, is still in use at PKI to this day… what is it?

5. What is the name of the train station at PKI, and why is it called that?

6. Name one Hanna Barbera character that has not been featured in any shape or form at PKI.

7. How many signature horses are on the PKI carousel?

8. What attraction was originally located where Nick Central now exists?

9. How many trains does FOF have?

10. What is the highest capacity ride at PKI?

I'll post answers tomorrow.

Shaggy

1. Grand Carousel

2. The Monster is an original ride, I'm guessing it has been modified...

3. They contain storage space (and offices, I think)

4. Don't know, maybe some of the foundation!?

5. Losantiville Station, don't know why - a local tie...

6. Jane & Rosie from The Jetsons, I can't remember if Elroy was a walk-around...

7. 48 Horses

8. Wheel Of Fortune, then Scrappy Slide & Turnpike

9. Don't know, 4 Trains!?

10. The Racer (including both sides) (per hour)

1. Carousel

2. No, it came from Coney Island.

3.Don't know

4. Part of the first lift is used on Vortex. Some of the foundation from The Bat is still there although Vortex does not use any of it.

5. Losantiville Station.

6. Don't know

7. 4 signature horses

8. Scrappy's Slide

9. 3 trains. It was designed to run 4 and still can.

10. I'll guess both sides of Racer.

1. Carousel, 1926 PTC #79 of 89

2. No the Monster is not original to PKi or Coney Island. Around 1978 or 1981, there was no Monster at PKI (I think PKI`s was shipped to PCW or another KECO park) It returned to PKI in the from of a brand new ride from Eyerley Aircraft Corporation a couple years later.

3. Not a clue.

4. Some of The Bat`s stairs that lined the lifts were reused on The Vortex.

5. Losantiville. That was one of the original names of Cinncinati.

6. No clue.

7. 3 or 4 signature horses.

8. Sunshine Turnpike. Also, Wheel of Fortune (a trabant) was located on the large expanse of concrete that now exists between Wild Thornberrys River Adventure and Reptar.

9. Originally it had four. However, I do believe that it now runs two, with three having been retrofitted with the new lap bars,

10. Highest capacity ride I believe is either Vortex or Adventure Express. (Or at least they`re lines are always short and fast moving).

1. The Grand Carousel

2. No

3. There a fake......no 2nd floors.

4. The lift stairs are partially reused.

5. Lousantiville

6. I can name a few actually....Crazy Claws, Kwicky Koala, Dirty Dawg, The Bungle Brothers, Snooper & Blabber, any more?

7. Four.

8. Scrappy's Slides. Wheel of Fortune, Some Picnic grove.

9. Three

10. The Train

Answers:

1. What was the oldest attraction to ever operate at King’s Island?

The Tumble Bug. It was originally built for Cincinnati's Coney Island by Harry Traver in 1925, moved to KI in 1971 and operated through the 1984 season.

2. Is the Monster now located on Coney Mall original to the park?

No. The Monster now located at PKI is actually the second one. The original Monster relocated from Cincinnati's Coney Island was removed in 1980 and sent to Canada's Wonderland where it operates today. It was replaced in 1981 with an older version.

3. What is different about the 2nd floor of the shops on International Street?

They are an optical illusion. Copying a Disney trick to fool the eye, the doors and windows of all the 2nd floor shops are 3/4 scale.

4. A part of The Bat, other than the station, is still in use at PKI to this day… what is it?

The 2nd lift stairs are now used as the access stairs on Vortex's mid-course break run.

5. What is the name of the train station at PKI, and why is it called that?

Losantville. It was one of the first names of Cincinnati.

6. Name one Hanna Barbera character that has not been featured in any shape or form at PKI.

There are many that have not ever appeared in any form... whether costumed character, on merchadise, or on park related pariphanalia... some of the more surprising ones are: Snorks.... Schmoo....Monchichi's... Blue Falcon and Dynomutt.....characers from Charolette's Web... Johnny Quest.... Space Ghost....Tom and Jerry.... Gazoo...

7. How many signature horses are on the PKI carousel?

There are 3 signature PTC horses on the PKI carousel.

8. What attraction was originally located where Nick Central now exists?

Original to the park in that area was Sunshine Turnpike.

9. How many trains does FOF have?

It has 4..... but has never operated all of them. There are three that the park regularly rotates onto the ride for usage, a fourth (the original test train) sits unused in a boneyard behind Action Zone.

10. What is the highest capacity ride at PKI?

The King's Island and Miami Valley Railroad.

Shaggy

Edited by Shaggy

There are many that have not ever appeared in any form... whether costumed character, on merchadise, or on park related pariphanalia... some of the more surprising ones are: Snorks.... Schmoo....Monchichi's... Blue Falcon and Dynomutt.....characers from Charolette's Web... Johnny Quest.... Space Ghost....Tom and Jerry.... Gazoo...

Gazoo is in stuffed form in the emporium.