Is a SkyCoaster a Coaster

Coaster Kid

(From Merriam-Webster):

Roller Coaster:

1: an elevated railway (as in an amusement park) constructed with sharp curves and steep inclines on which cars roll

2: something resembling a roller coaster ; especially : behavior, events, or experiences characterized by sudden and extreme changes <an emotional roller coaster>

Coast:

2 a: to slide, run, or glide downhill by the force of gravity b: to move along without or as if without further application of propulsive power (as by momentum or gravity) c: to proceed easily without special application of effort or concern <coasted through school> —often used with on<a company coasting on its good reputation>

I guess technically it could fit the second definition of Roller Coaster but it doesn't roll on anything and that second definition isn't really about tangible objects. It does sort of fit the definition of coasting so, is it a "coaster", IE does it coast, yes; is it a"Roller Coaster"? IMO no.

Minimum to be a roller coaster in my book:

-It must have wheels and roll down a track (hence the name "roller")

->50% of the ride's distance must consist of the vehicle "coasting" (ie only powered by gravity)

-Must have a way that a person is securely attached to the ride vehicle and/or a method of securing the ride vehicle to the track.

-Any machine that generates additional energy beyond gravity must not be located on that train.

Edit-I was thinking about this myself, I think that covers every coaster still operating. Although prior to Miller's up stop wheel design the trains were not firmly attached.

-Must have a way that a person is securely attached to the ride vehicle

so up until recently Indiana Beach's Tig'rr was not a roller coaster in your terms?

Jackson, knowing where you're coming from, but pointing that out.

-Must have a way that a person is securely attached to the ride vehicle

so up until recently Indiana Beach's Tig'rr was not a roller coaster in your terms?

Jackson, knowing where you're coming from, but pointing that out.

And Leap the Dips still isn't! :lol:

I have to protest that one part of the definition because of that. On Leap the Dips you sit in the car. There is no lapbar, seatbelt, shoulder harness, or any other device holding you in besides your toucas sitting on the seat. It is also not firmly attached to the track because there are no up-stop wheels. But then, it's a side-friction roller coaster which is one of two kinds of coasters with no upstops (the other being a bobsled).

Back to the original question. I refer to my justification that Avatar is not a coaster.

Does it roll? No. Does it coast? Yes. Unless both questions can be answered with a 'yes' then it is not a coaster.

Guest rcfreak339
FOF, I don't have a pass.

Kevin, if I run to Firehawk at opening, and then right after that go back to Sling Shot, do you think I can still get tickets for $5/person?

They usually have specials everyday, atleast they do when I'm there.

Nice to see you on KIC DBru!

FOF, I don't have a pass.

Kevin, if I run to Firehawk at opening, and then right after that go back to Sling Shot, do you think I can still get tickets for $5/person?

Well, I'm not Kevin but I'll still answer. Most definitely. I saw the $5 deal yeasterday until well after 11 in the morning. I think it's like that for an hour or two.

I'm possibly going on Skyflyer tomorrow, if the tickets are cheap at 10am. :) Here's hoping!

Tickets start out at $5 at 10 am.. no problem. ive rode it over 30 times and its normally $5 until 1 or so unless the park is packed.... Then thats another issue. I know today it was $10 at like 11:30 but it was going up right when i walked over.

Guest rcfreak339

Even so 10 bucks for a ride on a SkyCoaster isn't bad, there a really cool experience and should really try them atleast once. The 300 foot SkyCoaster at Fun Spot costs about 40 bucks to ride!

You can come back later in the day.

Terpy, who notes in passing that Skycoaster prices have, for the most part, declined markedly. For many years, Kings Island was nearly alone in charging $45 per FLIGHT, regardless of whether there were 1, 2 or 3 fliers. And that he paid $60 some dollars to first ride the Florida 300 footer...but that some parks have not decreased their prices on this now relatively aging attraction

->50% of the ride's distance must consist of the vehicle "coasting" (ie only powered by gravity)

-Must have a way that a person is securely attached to the ride vehicle and/or a method of securing the ride vehicle to the track.

-Any machine that generates additional energy beyond gravity must not be located on that train.

Edit-I was thinking about this myself, I think that covers every coaster still operating. Although prior to Miller's up stop wheel design the trains were not firmly attached.

So is Demon Drop a coaster?

So is Demon Drop a coaster?

It really depends on your definition of a roller coaster. It's not exactly a roller coaster, but many say they strongly believe it is. Just like Avatar.

On a different topic why are amusement parks removing their Chaos rides so fast?