The beast rides (2009)

israel09

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the track work they did to the final helix, but the last few rides I have taken (which were morning ERT) were incredibly slow from the break shed to the second lift hill. I rode it later in the day and one night ride earlier in the season and it was great. I will be going up for Haunt next month and hope the night ride is everything I remember it to be because the ERT rides have been way too tamed down.

I really wish they'd do a one-day event where they untrimmed it. Just so enthusiasts could ride it ONCE with no trims. It'd be so crowded...

The track work really helped. :)

The Trims are magnetic....they are there to stay..... :(

But yes, The Beast has been giving Fantastic rides this season. The trackwork helped a lot.

I'd have to say pretty much every ride I've had on The Beast this year has seemed slow. The trims really kill it. I can see why so many people who travel across the country to ride The Beast for the first time label it as "over hyped".

I really didn't notice the trims. it seemed decently fast

I love the track work they did to the final helix, but the last few rides I have taken (which were morning ERT) were incredibly slow from the break shed to the second lift hill. I rode it later in the day and one night ride earlier in the season and it was great. I will be going up for Haunt next month and hope the night ride is everything I remember it to be because the ERT rides have been way too tamed down.

In the morning it may have seemed slower due to tha fact that normally the crowds during the morning ERT are not very high, which thus has trains with fewer people. With less weight in the train it will go slower. Also in the morning it takes a little time for the trains to 'warm up' if you will. This can be the reason for the different rides you experienced in different parts of the day.

Guest rcfreak339
I really wish they'd do a one-day event where they untrimmed it. Just so enthusiasts could ride it ONCE with no trims. It'd be so crowded...

The track work really helped. :)

The Trims are magnetic....they are there to stay..... :(

But yes, The Beast has been giving Fantastic rides this season. The trackwork helped a lot.

I thought the only tims on The Beast that were magnetic was the first hill trims. But yes some trims are needed but when you trim it that much it kills the whole ride. I hear someone at least once EVERYtime I go say "It was slower then I remembered it"

Well, technically not ALL the brakes are magnetic. Their are pneumatic fin brakes in the station and brake run leading into the station. But all the trim brakes (first drop, brake shed, descent on the helix, and the approach to the brake run in the station) are indeed magnetic brakes. Sorry Terpy, I couldn`t resist.

It's just you. The trim right after the 1st drop, after the tunnel, dropping into the 2nd drop butchered the ride IMO. The magnetic brakes seems to slow the train much more than the days of old. It seems to meander all the way to the 2nd lift. That 2nd drop used to have great air time. Please bring it back to its old self CF.

It seems to me that the magnetic trims on The Beast can be somewhat abrupt, but the only time they've really given me pause (so to speak) is after cresting the second lift hill and heading into the helix.

My rides on The Beast this season have been great. I'm definitely a n00b to these forums and would not claim to know anything about anything, but I'm guessing the magnetic trims, however distracting, are there to protect us. I know they've replaced the old-school skid brakes that, although effective, probably weren't so noticable as the new mags.

The Beast is a wonderful experience for me and I hope for all of us, though it is fun to think about a trimless Beast ... I'm sure that'd destroy the track but yeah ... I could go for a ride like that. :)

Just compare it to a certain nearby, enclosed Giant Top Spin full of empty promises and you'll feel better. ;)

Just compare it to a certain nearby, enclosed Giant Top Spin full of empty promises and you'll feel better. ;)

Actually, that along with a motionless and left for dead SOB just makes me weep for the park.

At least we have Diamondback.

I gotcha. Personally I miss Sonny. I'm very thankful for DB as well. Airtime is good for the soul. :)

Beast early morning rides are just ok to me - later in the day and especially night rides are still something special.

Try and ride it without focusing on the trims (I know its hard to do since it's talked about on KIC so much) - you may actually enjoy it more. Note that this is not to imply that I wouldn't like to ride Beast w/o the trims one time, but since I have no control over that, I still plan to enjoy it.

Beast early morning rides are just ok to me - later in the day and especially night rides are still something special.

Try and ride it without focusing on the trims (I know its hard to do since it's talked about on KIC so much) - you may actually enjoy it more. Note that this is not to imply that I wouldn't like to ride Beast w/o the trims one time, but since I have no control over that, I still plan to enjoy it.

Beast ERTs are okay, but I feel like the coaster "warms up" throughout the day. Nights are best of course. Even if The Beast was running a bit slow at night (which it never is, at least compared to morning), it's all about the experience.

I know steel coasters have a bit of a warm up period too, but they're fairly consistent. Obviously wooden coasters are more susceptible to temps, humidity, etc. Those factors have an effect on the steel coasters too, but not quite as much.

You know you're a coaster nerd when you can look up at the sky and have a good idea how a Beast ride is gonna be. Ahh ... good times. :)

Try and ride it without focusing on the trims (I know its hard to do since it's talked about on KIC so much) - you may actually enjoy it more.

I woudn't say it's hard to not focus on them just because they're talked about a lot here. I mean, take the first drop for instance. Is there any worse and more disorienting feeling on a coaster than going down a hill, you know you should be picking up speed, but you feel the coaster slow down? That just kills a drop right there.

I woudn't say it's hard to not focus on them just because they're talked about a lot here. I mean, take the first drop for instance. Is there any worse and more disorienting feeling on a coaster than going down a hill, you know you should be picking up speed, but you feel the coaster slow down? . . .

Yes, there is. There is knowing (and seeing) that the park has literally raised the first drop and lessened its angle. See Rattler at Fiesta Texas and the Six Flags Cyclone nee Cyclone at Six Flags New England nee Riverside. There is also greatly lessening the speed of the coaster train as it crests the lifthill. See The Georgia Cyclone and...The Beast.